• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Report when you can.

A friend just got back and said this is the place for me.

lefty

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bookmarking so I remember to read the last 12 pages.... ;)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spent a very quiet day on a secret little river yesterday.

0.jpg

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I love fishing, I just can't see ever willingly subjecting myself to the 'combat fishing' conditions. My dad says that our recent Patagonia trip has made Montana seem a little too crowded for him. Forget seeing another angler - you wouldn't see another person all day. One of my sons landed this guy the first day:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its ridiculous seeing how many people land fish on their first cast. I'm finally taking one of Orvis' FF 101, 201 classes. Hopefully one of their 301 classes.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First cast is your best. If I haven't hit a fish by the 5th or 6th (and I feel I'm fishing the right fly) I move.

Nice fish, roma.

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got some pix from guide! Here's an 'art' shot (Nikon waterproof), plus more from the Troutslayer

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I took the FF101 course from Orvis on Saturday, got the 201 on Dad's Day (and they have a 301 with a guide on a boat for $75 for like a half day of fishing). It was fun, practiced a bit when I got home on Sunday. Went to go fish on Monday, found my leader was all tangled around my fly line :embar: :eek: :satisfied: so yeah, now I get to go back to Orvis all embarassed and what not. But IRDC, I'm a noob. Anyway, got some trips later in the year to some good fishing countries, gonna see if I can't try my luck there.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you using those pre-tied tapered leaders? I gave up on them a while ago and started to make my own out of 3-4 pieces of mono. Works like a charm and I can go a season without changing it, just adding on to the end part when I need to. Less tangles too :)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you using those pre-tied tapered leaders? I gave up on them a while ago and started to make my own out of 3-4 pieces of mono. Works like a charm and I can go a season without changing it, just adding on to the end part when I need to. Less tangles too :)

Yeah BUT, this already came with it tied on and I figure considering my limited mental capacity in general and in specific with a new venture to keep it simple as possible.

That thought seems to have failed me. :nodding:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was supposed to "teach" FF 101 at Orvis this week, but I think I'll go fishing instead with my new 13' tenkara rod.

Your leader is nail knotted to the line? If so cut off all but the last foot or so and tie a perfection loop in that. At least then you'll be able to swap out leaders easily. And look into furled leaders which are more forgiving when you tangle them.

Tangles are part of it, especially when you're nymphing with two flies, weight and an indicator. There hasn't been tangle invented that I haven't had experienced. Just the other day I wanted to try a new way of rigging a nymph line and so focused was I on the rig and knots that it was only when I finished that I realized I never attached the leader to the fly line. Had to cut the entire thing apart and start again. Then on the second cast I let a little too much slack go into the system and it turned into a bird's nest. I cut the whole bloody thing off and started swinging wet flies instead. On the plus side I found a tiny stream chock-full of wild Catskill Brook Trout and went to town on them.

lefty

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gracias senor lefty. I will be in NYC later this year. Care to show a young whippersnapper around? We can burn some sticks while we're at it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads