1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Florsheim by Duckie Brown Cordovan Shoe & Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Mar 16, 2011.

1. enigma77

enigma77 Well-Known Member

One plus is that these shoes fit great! I am a TTS 12 and these 12D fit perfectly! I have a pair of Alden LWs on the grant last in 11.5 and these fit just as good if not better

Now this is what I want to know -- where'd you get Alden LWBs on the Grant last? They're mostly on the Barrie, which for a non-boot shoe looks far too gunboat-ish, even for a gunboat, as it were.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The stitching = [​IMG]

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Now this is what I want to know -- where'd you get Alden LWBs on the Grant last? They're mostly on the Barrie, which for a non-boot shoe looks far too gunboat-ish, even for a gunboat, as it were.
    Cordovan Long Wingtip Shoe made by Alden on the Grant last for Brooks Brothers
    These Florsheim Duckie Brown longwings are half the price of a pair of Alden lonwings in Whiskey cordo. I am seriously considering buying a pair of these Florshiems myself.
    You make some very good points. After giving it some thought I have called BB and asked that they send me replacement pair. If that one arrives without any flaws I will be keep them. I have a BB gift card that I need to use [​IMG]
    The stitching = [​IMG]
    use nail clippers to cut off excess stitching? [​IMG]

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Apparently this shoe is already sold out. I called earlier today to exchange my pair and the CS rep informed me that not only has it sold out, they don't expect them to be restocked either.

This is comical because the shoe is featured in the SP/SU 2011 collection and spring just started. Well done BB, well done

5. TRA8324

TRA8324 Well-Known Member

Apparently this shoe is already sold out. I called earlier today to exchange my pair and the CS rep informed me that not only has it sold out, they don't expect them to be restocked either.

This is comical because the shoe is featured in the SP/SU 2011 collection and spring just started. Well done BB, well done

return it without a receipt and try to get store credit for the full retail. i've done this before.

6. Flimsychicken

Flimsychicken Well-Known Member

return it without a receipt and try to get store credit for the full retail. i've done this before.

Actually, please DO NOT do this.

7. TRA8324

TRA8324 Well-Known Member

Actually, please DO NOT do this.

they sent him a defective pair of shoes. if they can't send him a replacement pair then he should at least be able to have the money of full retail to go towards a different pair of cordovan shoes since the sale is no longer active. i would talk with customer service first to see if they will do it for you, of course.

8. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

If the fit is spot on, I could probably live with it esp at the price you got. Some polishing or whatever you do to cordovan would probably do wonders.

Th Aldens on the Grant last are pretty nice. Why did BB stop doing the multiple views of the shoes? That was great.

DOMO!!! [​IMG]
    This cracked me up. [​IMG]

If someone was trying to buy some cordo long-wings, I would HAVE to suggest just getting a pair of old Florsheim v-cleats, or an older Alden model. Unless it's NOS, the vintage shells are a great bargain, I think. Florsheim v-cleats with minimal wear run from $125-$175 on ebay, and vintage Aldens maybe 2x that. ALSO, the construction was great then.

+1. I have some NOS V-cleats I'll put on B&S soon. They're awesome.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

they sent him a defective pair of shoes. if they can't send him a replacement pair then he should at least be able to have the money of full retail to go towards a different pair of cordovan shoes since the sale is no longer active. i would talk with customer service first to see if they will do it for you, of course.
    I should mention that CS suggested I check back in a few months to see if the shoe gets restocked. If it does, they will honor the original discounted price.
    If the fit is spot on, I could probably live with it esp at the price you got. Some polishing or whatever you do to cordovan would probably do wonders.
    I agree, the cordovan could have been worked on but there were just too many defects with this shoe; 1. Discoloration of leather caused from tanning oils 2. Loose stitching on vamp 3. Enlarged heel on just one shoe 4. Smell of lacquer was extremely strong If I had to deal with just one of these issues I would have kept them. Just too many issues for me to let it slide

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

i should have kept these. now i just have BB credit laying around and this would have been the perfect spring/summer shoe [​IMG]

11. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

i should have kept these. now i just have BB credit laying around and this would have been the perfect spring/summer shoe [​IMG]

But no.

You would have gnashed your teeth every time you saw the loose stitching and dye overrun. I'm of the opinion that when it comes to things you WANT rather than NEED, that you shouldn't compromise -- even if it means you have to save another $300.

12. piergiacomi

piergiacomi Well-Known Member

I think this is not shell cordovan, and I doubt that this leather is simple cordovan. We have some leather of shell (from Horween) and I never see this grain. I will not talk of the realization, but for create a pair of shoes are needed three feet of leather (shell price about 90$ for feet), count yourself for shoes price.
    During the recent Brooks Brothers sale, I purchased the tan cordovan longwing made by Duckie "Duckey" Brown. I got them in the mail today and here is what they look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the various closeups, the leather looks poor for Cordovan and its made by Horween to boot. The color is "tan" but looks really flat for shell; no luster. The dark spots on the vamp seemed to have been caused from excess/leaking tanning oils. Also, the right heel is as wide as a softball. Shoes appear to be in brand new condition so I have no explanation for this.

The quality seems to be several notches below Alden. Stitching is loose in some areas and the shoes smell like lacquer, presumably from the sole dressing. As some other posters previously mentioned, these are in fact made in India.

One plus is that these shoes fit great! I am a TTS 12 and these 12D fit perfectly! I have a pair of Alden LWs on the grant last in 11.5 and these fit just as good if not better.

SO question, should I keep these? I want a pair of Alden LWs in whiskey but I am not ready to pay $650 for a pair. After taxes, shipping, etc I paid ~$360 out of pocket for these. They retail for $575 before taxes & shipping on the BB website

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I think this is not shell cordovan, and I doubt that this leather is simple cordovan. We have some leather of shell (from Horween) and I never see this grain. I will not talk of the realization, but for create a pair of shoes are needed three feet of leather (shell price about 90$ for feet), count yourself for shoes price.
    $90/sq foot? [​IMG]

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

BB put several pairs back up for their sale. Selling for $431.25. Buyer beware [​IMG]

15. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Well-Known Member

It's fine. I paid almost $500 for my ravelo wingtips from leathersoul but they're perfect. What you paid won't be matched anywhere.

how did you buy ravello wingtips from LS for 500 dollars?

16. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

im willing to guess that he bought them years ago. maybe back when LS first opened their doors

18. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

get real, they don't look worse than a randomly picked pair of whiskey Aldens. Look fine to me.

If they fit perfectly and you are satisfied, it's a decent buy.

If you are going to secretly covet Aldens and end up buying Aldens in a year anyway, then it's not a good buy.

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

Namor, i think you are happier with the Peal &Co cordovan boots... hope you sent these back

20. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

They were close outs and size 12. I also bought them February 2010 before price increases.