• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitness is the Best Style- Building Your Wardrobe Around Your Body

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A great substitute for exercise is eating.

I think that if you eat celery, you can actually expend more calories than you consume, depending on how thoroughly you chew before swallowing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel miserable when I don't go to the gym or engage in some vigorous activity each day. I look forward to working out.

Ditto, though these days, I find that I can really only do hard 5 days, and need at least full 1 rest day.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. You don't need a stinkin' gym membership. Plus, it works in even the smallest of abodes.

Of course, there is also the risk of outgrowing your clothes due to muscle mass. Bet OP didn't think of this.

Lear

Reaction score
So, here we go again... NOT ALL OF US ARE BLESSED YOU KNOW! Some of us were born with poor genetics, bad looks and an excess of body fat. In the UK, every street corner has a coffee shop selling mocha flake with whipped cream and marshmallows. In London, lunch can only be satisfied by hamburgers, chips etc. Trying to eat anything else is almost impossible. I challenge you to walk down Bond Street and NOT consume a nibble or two (or three) of luxury Belgian chocolate. I was tempted by such confectionery displays today: the shop on the corner of Burlington Arcade, one by the top of Bond Street and the one up that diagonal street, just off Brook Street.

As for the gym, it's at least a mile to drive there (even if you could park), but obviously too far to walk.

So, we cover the scaffolding with tarpaulin and hope for the best :(

Lear

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. You don't need a stinkin' gym membership. Plus, it works in even the smallest of abodes.
Of course, there is also the risk of outgrowing your clothes due to muscle mass. Bet OP didn't think of this.

I totally agree with this. I do have a gym membership, in fact, 2 of them, but I've found I can get a similar work-out with:

1. Home: TRX with a weight vest, Free dumbbells, push-ups, and pull-ups
2. Cardio: Swimming laps, Rock-climbing, Running at the beach (the sand is a killer)

At the gym, I usually end up doing set lifts but the gym is a lot more boring and I think periods where I do #1 and #2 frequently, I'm in better shape than when I hit the gym regularly.

Reborn

Reaction score

As for the gym, it's at least a mile to drive there (even if you could park), but obviously too far to walk.

Especially when your tummy makes you stop at every corner for a snack.

Lear

Reaction score

Especially when your tummy makes you stop at every corner for a snack.

But here's the rub: they all employ beautiful young Russian girls. I feel as if I'm being pulled onto the rocks and force fed chocolate. No man can resist their siren call.

Lear

ajmanouk

Reaction score
I think the OP makes a valid point. Your fitness level puts a sort of upper limit on how good you can look in clothes, and what you wear defines how close you you come to approaching the limit.

Lear

Reaction score
Before the cruelness starts, I'd like to remind you that some women prefer meat on the bones and sizable buttocks. They find a flat behind unappealing. As it is, I've always considered myself to be gravitationally stable. The excess folds on the front, are naturally counterbalanced by what's carried on the rear. One without the other makes no sense at all, as I'd probably fall over. Nature, as always, has its own way of keeping things in check. Skinny is NOT always best you know.

Lear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads