1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fit

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wmmk, Apr 19, 2009.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

You can consistently find low and mid end designery stuff for prices that are consistent with mall brand retail if you keep an eye out for deep clearance sales, sample sales, century21/filenes basement, ebay, forum markets, etc... Also, urban outfitters, h&m, uniqlo, and topman help for cheapy stuff. If you're patient, and persistent, you can do stuff on the cheap

2. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Well-Known Member

Hahah... only on a fashun forum would you find guys whose reason to lift is so their clothes to fit better!! Wtf happened to just trying to be fitter and stronger??? I guess I can see it as a side benefit, but still

Seriously man WTF! Lifting just so your clothes look better? Damn man some people on these fashion forums are nuts and can never think for themselves.

3. JoelF

JoelF Well-Known Member

This thread is going downhill fast. [​IMG]

4. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

You can consistently find low and mid end designery stuff for prices that are consistent with mall brand retail if you keep an eye out for deep clearance sales, sample sales, century21/filenes basement, ebay, forum markets, etc... Also, urban outfitters, h&m, uniqlo, and topman help for cheapy stuff. If you're patient, and persistent, you can do stuff on the cheap

+100
    I picked up a BoO wool jacket for an unbelievable price. Just be patient.

5. Clover216

Clover216 Well-Known Member

Alright, I got some fit questions for you guys out there.

So the vibe I'm getting is that different body types look better in certain clothing. Yep, that makes perfect sense. So I'm not a midget or look like I'm on 'roids, but I'd say I'm a bit shorter and more muscular than the average person here. As a general rule, should I try and buy slimmer clothes to give the illusion of being taller/thinner? For example, I recently bought a pair of Levi's 501 and 514 in the same size. Despite there seeming to be much more hype for 501s on this forum, I seem to like the way the 514s look more. While the 501s are good and I wear them, their looser fit makes a sort of unflattering silhouette on me (saggy ass). Likewise goes for a pair of Gap khakis I bought, and don't even get me started on t-shirts. So my question is, what should I try and do? Do you think I'm right and the cut of 501s/Gap khakis are just not for me, or maybe should I just try to size down a pair or two? As a rule of thumb, should I try and buy more slimming clothes to compliment my body type (in an opposite way)? At the same time, I do have a rather limited wardrobe, and maybe just as long as I pair looser clothes with looser clothes it will look alright. For instance, the only shoes I wear right now are Vans Authentics, which really look well with slimmer pants, but not as much with looser fits. Perhaps if I picked up some chukka/DB style shoes and a little looser/heavier shirt I'd match them with the 501s.

Any insight is more than welcome.

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

Alright, I got some fit questions for you guys out there.

So the vibe I'm getting is that different body types look better in certain clothing. Yep, that makes perfect sense. So I'm not a midget or look like I'm on 'roids, but I'd say I'm a bit shorter and more muscular than the average person here. As a general rule, should I try and buy slimmer clothes to give the illusion of being taller/thinner? For example, I recently bought a pair of Levi's 501 and 514 in the same size. Despite there seeming to be much more hype for 501s on this forum, I seem to like the way the 514s look more. While the 501s are good and I wear them, their looser fit makes a sort of unflattering silhouette on me (saggy ass). Likewise goes for a pair of Gap khakis I bought, and don't even get me started on t-shirts. So my question is, what should I try and do? Do you think I'm right and the cut of 501s/Gap khakis are just not for me, or maybe should I just try to size down a pair or two? As a rule of thumb, should I try and buy more slimming clothes to compliment my body type (in an opposite way)? At the same time, I do have a rather limited wardrobe, and maybe just as long as I pair looser clothes with looser clothes it will look alright. For instance, the only shoes I wear right now are Vans Authentics, which really look well with slimmer pants, but not as much with looser fits. Perhaps if I picked up some chukka/DB style shoes and a little looser/heavier shirt I'd match them with the 501s.

Any insight is more than welcome.

514s get squeezed out because this forum likes it's more tapered cousin the 511... or us skinnies like 510 better. If you are a bit shorter than average I would get slimmer clothing... infact as long as you aren't roidinflated I would say slimmer clothing looks better on anyone regardless of height (within a normal height range). Seeing as you are more muscular, 511s wouldn't exactly be a flattering look.

7. Clover216

514s get squeezed out because this forum likes it's more tapered cousin the 511... or us skinnies like 510 better. If you are a bit shorter than average I would get slimmer clothing... infact as long as you aren't roidinflated I would say slimmer clothing looks better on anyone regardless of height (within a normal height range). Seeing as you are more muscular, 511s wouldn't exactly be a flattering look.

Alright, cool. One thing I don't get though is why if like you said slimmer clothing on looks better on all people, do so many here prefer the 501s? Am I wearing them wrong or are they just not the jean for me?

Thanks.

8. jwied82

jwied82 Well-Known Member

or whether it would look better if I bulked up to the size of a mall brand medium.

Would this even be possible for you?
    Would you try to bulk up your legs too so they would be in proportion?

9. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

Alright, cool. One thing I don't get though is why if like you said slimmer clothing on looks better on all people, do so many here prefer the 501s? Am I wearing them wrong or are they just not the jean for me?

Thanks.

Most people, I'd say.

501s are kind of the quintessential jean, they will remain a classic... but there is quite a bit more love for the likes of APC NS, Crate Routes, etc.

10. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

Alright, cool. One thing I don't get though is why if like you said slimmer clothing on looks better on all people, do so many here prefer the 501s?

Do they? I think you're mistaken about that, although the STF 501 are considered the go-to cheap, easily available entry-level raw denim. Of course, raw denim is also available cheaply in other Levis cuts, but they're a bit harder to come by.

I've never owned a pair of 501s in my life. The high rise, especially, kills it for me.

11. Clover216

Do they? I think you're mistaken about that, although the STF 501 are considered the go-to cheap, easily available entry-level raw denim. Of course, raw denim is also available cheaply in other Levis cuts, but they're a bit harder to come by.

I've never owned a pair of 501s in my life. The high rise, especially, kills it for me.

Maybe they don't, that's just the overall vibe I've gotten.