• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit/critique on Target suit: Can I fix this via tailor? (New suit 3rd page)

HughJ

Reaction score

The slant is not obvious. Its usually about 1/2" longer in the back than the front. You don't notice it if you aren't looking, but it covers the heel of the shoe much more fully, which I prefer. But again, personal preference.

+1. I do this on all of my slimmer pants. That half inch makes a huge difference in the break, without running the risk of the pants looking too fashiony (aka short). It's subtle enough that you wouldn't know they were hemmed this way unless you were to lay them flat on a table. Either way, I think ths suit is a much better starting point, though the pants are more than a tad too long in the pics.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just dropped off the suit at a local tailor 4.5/5 stars on Yelp... (70+ reviews)

First time so I was following the tailor most of the time, but voiced my own suggestions and concerns:

• I asked about tapering and hemming pants, which we both agreed on. The original was 8" and we took off 1/2", which I was leaning towards so that was perfect. I like the way 7.5" falls on my slimmer frame. I also brought up the 1/2" higher on the back than the front, to which she said that is always the case for men, and opposite for women.
  • I then asked about the jacket to which she said it looks fine. I suggested that the waist be taken in, which she first tried from the back [seam]; I didn't notice much difference tbh. She then mentioned more of a silhouette and proceeded to take in the waist from the side seam. Much better and we both agreed on this.
  • She then noticed immediately if I wanted to shorten one side of the sleeves as she pointed out that my right side sat higher than my left. I know someone else mentioned this, and I was surprised that she brought it up. I noticed it, but it is very subtle--we agreed to balance both sleeves (1/2" off). She also mentioned we would have to take out all the buttons and move them accordingly (I hope this is perfect, would bug me if they didn't align exactly..)
  • When taking in the side of the jacket, she also didn't like the way the double vent fell. She said it was very weird and suggested to tie them down. I asked if there was an alternative and offered using ribbons to anchor them a bit. She then said it was odd not to have any lines pressed, to which I thought and said that I probably ironed them out since when I received the jacket, one side had it and the other did not (thought it was crease marks from shipping):embar: Will see what she plans on doing with that bit, she mentioned pressing them for me.

Overall I liked what I saw, I hope the hem is not too short b/c she kept mentioning that the "new style" now is shorter--and I kept thinking something like Thom Browne :paranoia:...I said not too short; I want something modern but 'traditional'--keep the bunching to the minimal.

She was nice to deal with and patient.

Total cost? = $81 (I could break it down if anyone is interested lol). Turnaround, next Wednesday (I told her to 'take their time')

The wait begins :bigstar:

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!!:fonz:

Oh, and these were the shoes I went to try them in:

Ideally I would want something more tapered, but they looked fine with the suit :)

Last edited:

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
The jacket and pants are deffinatly to big here and needs many alts to fix this. I would have the sleeves shorted on the jacket and also have the waist of the coat taken in. The pants need to be shortened some as well as the waist of the slacks brought in a bit. It also seems a bit big to me in the shoulders but that is only somethng that can be fixed by going down a size in the coat.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Which? 1st or 2nd suit?

2nd suit in the process of getting altered...does the 2nd suit shoulder seem off too? I think if sized down 1 more on the new suit jacket, shoulders might be a bit tight.

Better photos post-alteration.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The jacket and pants are deffinatly to big here and needs many alts to fix this. I would have the sleeves shorted on the jacket and also have the waist of the coat taken in. The pants need to be shortened some as well as the waist of the slacks brought in a bit. It also seems a bit big to me in the shoulders but that is only somethng that can be fixed by going down a size in the coat.

Definitely disagree that the suit is too (not to) small. It's just fine. With alterations I'm sure it'll look nice. It's infinitely better than the Target one.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
shoes need a shine and edge dressing.

sounds like the tailor hit all the right points.
my only caution is that as mentioned, once the back comes in, the sleeves might naturally just fall a little shorter so hopefully they aren't too short now.
I actually get my vents sewen down but most people think that's nuts... but just wanted to mention that it's not so out there that nobody does it. IMO it creates a cleaner line, especially is the vents are flairing due to other fit issues.

savsg

Reaction score
Hi guys, been lurking for a while - finally decided to join.

I think after all the creases fall out the suit should look good. I actually work at Uniqlo in London and have two of these suits - one in the mid grey like yours and one in charcoal. The way they were packaged wasn't great but my ones have been hanging on shaped hangers and the creases have started to fall out.

The general shape of the suit is pretty good for your body; its just that the wrinkles detract from it. Make sure your tailor presses it well and it should look great :).

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks savsg!

I am kind of having second thoughts currently, getting nervous/anxious with the wait. Would it be bad manner to ask if I can come in for a 2nd fitting? The shop does not seem up-tight/appointment oriented. I also just go some new shoes that I would like to try with the pants again to get it 'perfectly' fitted.

Reason I am considering going back is b/c I am not sure if they understood that I wanted some cuff to show. Since only the left sleeve will be shortened to balance both sides. I am thinking that if they are redoing the buttons and length, might as well get it right the first time.

Secondly with the arm again, I didn't ask for taper. I am looking at the before photos and can't help but think a .5-1" slimmer in the arm would balance out the taper in the leg.

I did have the waist be taken in though, will this effect only the length of the arm, or both length and width (slimming down)?

New shoes will come in earliest Saturday/latest Monday, and the suit will be done Wednesday. So, do I try to go in earlier or wait till shoes arrive first? (I think I have been surfing the MC forum too much :lol:) :bounce2:

New shoes cross-post from RP:

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New shoes cross-post from RP:

All I can say is this: You're pysching yourself out.

2 weeks ago you bought a suit from target for $90, and now you're talking about 2nd fittings at the tailor.

heres my suggestion:

Get the suit back...wear it a few times. Get a feel for having a suit on. Then, if after a few wearings, you think you need some additional work, bring it back.

yes, it will cost more this way, but I think you'll be happier in the long run.

btw, the AEs are a colossal step forward in the shoe department.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, thank you :worship:

Still tempted to at least call and 'confirm' but will bite the bullet and wait it out. I think I am just emphasizing this too much since it is my first suit and working with a budget. I just got to realize you guys and the larger MC group have been doing this way longer than I have...I'll slowly work my way there. :nodding:

Next follow up will be update photos, stay tune! (And thank you guys for helping me along the way)

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
when you go to pick the suit up, fit it on right then and there... if they seem dismissive, find a new tailor. if they take a good look at you to make sure it's good, and it is, then go home happy. if more adjustments are needed, then discuss it with them. some will be paid for, others might be adjustments to the previous changes, which should be on the house (although I wouldn't ask unless you both agree it's way off and isn't what you asked for)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Id look through thrift stores. Ive seen some great suits for really cheap. REALLY cheap. Then spend the extra on tailoring. If you want something that will last longer than a couple wears, you shoudl really save up more.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bunching up in the back seems like excess fabric. The tailor may be able to fix it, but I think that is just because the suit is badly made. I think the length of the pants look fine, the sleeve is a tad too long. In general the suit is acceptable from the front, but the bunching up on the back needs to be fixed or I don't think this suit is wearable.

What is the name of these AEs

That looks like Fifth Avenue.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some quick thoughts, I will probably hem the pants some more. To be fair, I did not try them on correctly at the tailor. I pulled them a little higher than where I would usually wear them and now when I wear them on the hip it still long. The waist is also big on me, but I think shortening the pants will be the best solution.

First set of photos is worn without a belt, and second set with belt. I am not wearing socks as well so it may make a little difference. Excuse the shirt, going to try out Modern Tailor very soon.

Shoes are "AE Clifton"

Overall I am happy though I think I have spent a lot more than needed for this particular suit. I learned a lot though so it will carry through down the line...

(I am happiest about how the sleeve turned out on the jacket, the waist maybe taken a little much? The shoes I am also very happy about. Got for cheap and after a repair of cobbler, they are so nice.)

I have also been working out a lot lately so I don't know what will happen further down the road. Shoulders are a bit tighter, but waist has gone down in size. Whoops!

Anyways, I think my main concern at this point is hemming pants and getting them to sit right on my shoe. Thoughts?

And if you leave a comment could you please let me know if this was a "success", "still in progress", or "utter failure!" :lol:

Thanks,

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads