1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

FIT BATTLE OCTOBER: Time to Poll!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Oct 26, 2010.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

like my photos of glenn danzig cutting birthday cake and playing soccer I guess.

GET SOME!!

[​IMG]

2. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Magician man, that was a terrible post

As if congruence makes any difference

3. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

you're not allowed to eat sandwiches or food/drink while ricked/gothd out. You can't even use photosynthesis since it's illogical for creatures of the darkness like that to absorb sustenance from the sun. Maybe you have to feed on shadows or crushed dreams or something
    Chrono, you feed on semen, duhh

4. chronoaug

It does to the extent that you see some obviously uncomfortable people trying to play dress up. Though it's hard to gauge a lot of that stuff without meeting/hanging out with the person. I mean, i've never met snake but if he has no reservations wearing that stuff and cool irl going to get some bbq and putting on a drunk then it'd be normal.

If kunk didn't make a lot of posts other than fits and many of us haven't met him, we might make other assumptions just based on a guy not smiling with grainy iphone pics.

5. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

But who really has congruence with their aesthetic??

They are just clothes, a form of expression and sometimes art. They shouldn't need to convey your lifestyle etc

I would say a few people have this mythical congruence we whisper of, but mostly it's complete garbage.

6. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

reminded of fade to black so hardcore right now

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

you're not allowed to eat sandwiches or food/drink while ricked/gothd out. You can't even use photosynthesis since it's illogical for creatures of the darkness like that to absorb sustenance from the sun. Maybe you have to feed on shadows or crushed dreams or something
    Absorption, like fungi?

8. snake

snake Well-Known Member

Nor smile. (5)

9. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

But who really has congruence with their aesthetic??

They are just clothes, a form of expression and sometimes art. They shouldn't need to convey your lifestyle etc

I would say a few people have this mythical congruence we whisper of, but mostly it's complete garbage.

It's not an exact thing I think Snake looks great and should continue dressing like he does. The clothes at very least suit his body type and skin tone and he look physically comfortable in them.

I only made my point when people were trying to figure out why the fit felt a little "cold." I think there's no reason a computer programmer can't wear Rick if it suits his personality type and physical build but there is still some incongruity there - which isn't even necessarily a bad thing. I have a a mad creeps-o crush on Amby from Rick Owens NY whose all-American southern girl look is belied by the severe clothes she wears and sells.

Also even the most extreme designers offer a range of clothes suited for different lifestyles. If I could afford the Rick heels for men I would wear them but that suits my lifestyle and job. Someone with a much more conservative day job would be ill advised to wear them but could most likely get away with the Rick chuck-style sneakers.

And I know Kunk gets a kick out of posting a Rick outfit in front of a brightly colored swing set but it's still totally ridiculous.

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

you will fit in great with the theorists at eugene lang.

11. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

I wish I could see your face, Snake. It would have probably made all the elements of the fit gel for me, although I do understand if people want to leave out their faces on the internet.

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

the way I feel is: aren't all of us playing dress up in one way or another?

13. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

the way I feel is: aren't all of us playing dress up in one way or another?
    Ding ding ding ding ding winrar!!

14. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Well-Known Member

My newb vote would go to synthese. I dont think his fits flatter his body a lot, making his legs look overly short, but I get inspiration from the stuff he combines.
    Agree with what was stated about the snake fit by berlin report. Nice assemblage of pieces but I get no energy out of it. Maybe it's the lack of motion in the pose or darkish lighting?
    Chrono really looks relaxed and comfortable. Amazingly so for someone having his picture taken.
    Ar six great textures, but again no juice for me.
    Liked Aglus fit a lot. Always classy, but dont think that was as nice as his full suit pics.
    Id like to see berlin report in there and also phat guido and mellow fellow....nice outfits and good pic quality doesnt hurt either.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

it's been talked about on other forums a lot, but not as much here, although it's beyond obvious; your hairstyle and grooming are key elements to your overall style. You can wear a ton of goth ninja clothes, but if you look like a computer programmer and have a hairstyle like that, you are gonna look like, well, a computer programmer in goth ninja clothes.
    In the earlier days of SZ, when a lot of former hypebeast-y types went from buying expensive Dunks to buying Rick, Ann and CCP (when was this, late 07?) and posting less on sufu and more on SZ overnight, there was a very noticeable incongruity - it was all these Asian guys who look like they work at Microsoft on the weekdays with flowbee #4 haircuts, in these distressed, architectural clothes. Guys who once lined up for Tiffany Dunks and Supreme later went to SZ talking about how they have passions for Patti Smith and Joseph Beuys - give me a break. You can be any race and own goth ninja style, obviously, but you need some swagger to really look good in that shit. It doesn't matter how many thumb rings you have or hoods and high-neck collars you layer if you have a $10 Supercuts haircut.

One reason why SF loves Phat Guido, is because he's this guy who looks like he balls on Microsoft money, and dresses like it - which is not far from reality, so he owns his style.

16. chronoaug

Yea, the bad asian IT haircut has ruined many a fit. cacatfish- i think me looking relaxed in that fit pick might be more a depressing sign that i've posted too many fit pics [​IMG]

17. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

so whens the next battle? Im gonna give it a go...im itching to get started though[​IMG]