• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fistfights

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the day when I worked in the steel mills of Chicago and Gary. Rough crowd and rough bars.

These days I avoid fights or problems like the plaque. However if it hits the fan my response won't be with my fists or feet.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
ever consider turning your sarcasm filter on?

Judging from your posting behavior on the forum, your original comment can easily be understood literally.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah. I'm a *****.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
One shoving match in law school, a brief scuffle at a tailgate (body-slammed a drunk kid twice), that's it.

I assume this was not with another law student in a demonstration of the various kinds of torts, right?
smile.gif

I had a few scuffles in college, but only came close to another fight once in the ensuing 17 years. A friend of mine was shoved by a douchebag DJ at a charity event (long story, but uncalled for) knocking down several women in the process. I had to physically restrain my friend from retaliating. The performer had it coming though and if I would have had a few more drinks in me, I probably would have let my pal go and maybe taken a few shots myself.

This thread reminds me of an article from Esquire a few years ago: "In Defense of the Fistfight"

Hayato

Reaction score
Not as an adult. I'd imagine fights as an adult are way different then when you are in your teens and that's why it's called "assault". I picture kicks to the face on the ground, rocks/bottles/sharp objects in hands, etc.

This fat gangster-wannabe of a choad tried to jump me in the football locker rooms when I was 16. He gave me props after everything was over though. He was probably surprised that after he threw first punch I came at him like a mental patient.

The highlight of the fight was me slipping out of an upper-classman's restraint only to run full speed down the locker aisle and channel my momentum into executing a UFC highlight-worthy spinning Karate Kid I-don't-know-what sidekick thingy. The kick must've connected perfectly with his liver because he doubled over onto the cement.

Smartalox

Reaction score
I've been in a half-dozen hockey fights, but those don't hurt as much as you might think, because you don't get any power from your legs when you're sliding around on the ice, trying to keep your balance. .

I've been in a couple of dry land fist-fights too, but that was wen I was younger, and foolish. My Dad taught me how to box, and I sparred with a buddy who was a club fighter in high school, but frankly I'm too old to risk having some MMA loser or gang-star ruin my life, unless it was a matter of life and death.

Luckily I am still big enough and fit enough to intimidate people, like the guy who was stalked my wife across the parking lot of the airport in Cairo, or the stupid andro-hipster-ninny who insulted a female friend of mine, then asked me what I was going to 'do about it'.

I called his bluff by standing up, and proceeding (very deliberately) to remove my rings and my watch, and lay them on the table. As I rolled up my sleeves, I looked him in the eye and said: "Well, take your rings off. I'll fight you, but If we're going to do this, I'm not gonna spend the rest of the night in the ER getting stitches". That was enough to shut him up. His expression changed as the adrenaline subsided, he muttered an apology, and slunk back to his friends, shocked that I wasn't kidding.

Another time, I bluffed that I was a bad-ass by taking someone's cigarette, and crushing it out in the palm of my hand. Into the quarter I'd cupped in my palm, to be sure, but they didn't know that.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
Once.

I was playing football (soccer) a couple of years ago. A guy i was marking did a two footed challenge on me and then 5 minutes later decided to elbow me in the face - i reacted by punching him square on the nose and it all kicked off from there. Not my proudest moment in life but he was a mouthy swine and deserved it.

I'm not really the fighting type but i'm glad i know that i can take a punch - it's better to have experienced it than go through life being terrified of physical confrontation IMO.

Stokely

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have did so with some frequency in my 20's. Usually bar related nonsense though. A few times, even with a clear mind now, they really ******* deserved it.

Past 6-7 years, none at all. I shy the **** away from it. I'm lucky to have walked away from that time of my life with no felonies from that foolishness.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
The only person I've punched (as referenced above) as an adult was a pickpocket. People don't **** with me ever. Being 6'4" and fairly jacked has that effect on people.

Unless it doesn't.

After getting my clock cleaned when I was about 17, from what I felt was a person unlikely to be able to do that, I've functioned under the operating principle that there is always someone tougher than me, ready to remind me of the fact there is always someone tougher than me about to come along unlooked for.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^Same. I'm not as tall as you but I've always given off that vibe. Of course, after beating a man to near death when I was younger, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to fight ever again.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Unless it doesn't.

After getting my clock cleaned when I was about 17, from what I felt was a person unlikely to be able to do that, I've functioned under the operating principle that there is always someone tougher than me, ready to remind me of the fact there is always someone tougher than me about to come along unlooked for.

All I can say is no one messes with me. I'm not saying I could handle anyone, just that other people seem to think I can. I actually haven't fought anyone since I was about 15 so it's pretty likely I WOULD get ****** kicked.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
All I can say is no one messes with me. I'm not saying I could handle anyone, just that other people seem to think I can. I actually haven't fought anyone since I was about 15 so it's pretty likely I WOULD get ****** kicked.
I hear you. Obviously, a 6'4" hulk is going to fend off most problems by appearance alone. Just passing on a lesson I learned the hard way. Which isn't to say I've not had a tussle or three in my time but I just remember I'm far from invincible. Hell, at my age, I'm worried of hip fracture if I fall.
laugh.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
speaking of fistfights,what may be the longest staredown ever for upcoming july 2nd fight
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've only had one that was vaguely serious. Friend of mine was ******* with me for awhile, and threw some coleslaw at me. We also had a weird in-joke that equated coleslaw to *****, so that meant war.

I chased after him, we got a little riled up, I ended up sort of throwing him over my hip onto the floor and gave him a concussion. Whoops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads