1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

First time wearing leather sole dress shoes... am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chikkymonkey, Dec 27, 2011.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

In addition to lifting weights four times a week, and cycling during warm months and winter sports in cold months, I do Vinyasa yoga three times a week in a superheated room so that my breathing technique is up to my drinking technique.

So, bottoms up in more ways than one.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I thought that was Bikrham Yoga.

3. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Well-Known Member

Icy paths are quite typical where I am in Ottawa, Canada. Right now, I can barely see asphalt and concrete outside. I remember having to go up and down an icy slope to get to and back from school. One would slip even with boots that had serious treads. In lean years, I walked in sneakers in winter, and I seldom fell.

I'm worried about leather soles on ice only because I've never walked in leather soles on ice. Perhaps it's time for me to get some serious boots with double leather soles.

One last question: insulated boots are probably too warm to wear indoors. For those of you who wear dress boots in winter, are your feet cold when it's -30C/-22F outside? Then again, I've worn sneakers in deep winter, and leather ankle boots must be warmer.

4. patrickBOOTH

As much as I am a huge supporter of leather soles on all terrain, including rainy streets I never fared well with them on ice. Packed snow isn't really an issue if you walk carefully.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

I do understand what your saying, and also thanks for your clarification on my behalf concerning the term farm hand.

As to balance I spent 20 years in the Navy with slightly less sea time than Mobby Dick. In addition to rock and roll there is pitch and yaw to contend with at sea, once you can carry a cup of coffee up and down a ladder in heavy seas without spilling it you have "arrived". It takes considerable balance and constant body adjustments to changing conditions to do so. So I'm pretty sure my balance is centered most of the time even on shore. Well with the exception of the Martini training previously mentioned by someone else but I hope they don't count! I'd hate to say that I ever grew up but I was raised in NY and I have noticed that in winter most Minnesotans do the same penguin walk, or rather shuffle, that I remember. At least outside.

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

For teens and 20's below as long as I'm not outside much more than 10-15 minutes or so I've been fine, I wear smartwool socks though. For extremely icy conditions I wear hiking boots and strap on a pair of Stabilicers. They work great but you have to take them off as soon as you hit the inside of a building. I have a spare piece of carpet in my office to put my Stabilicers and or boots on when I have to wear them. But rarely do as I have come to the point where I hate carrying anything to and from work.

7. F. Corbera

Bikram yoga is literally the specific yoga practice developed by Bikram Choudhury involving about 30 or so specific poses done in a hot room configured in a certain way with mirrors, mats, etc.. Vinyasa is much more general, and can be done in heated or unheated rooms. The common theme in Vinyasa is breath synchronization with the movements and held poses, which is why it is also often referred to as "flow" yoga.

So, between the walking around with martinis in my hand (ability card: walking, alcohol metablization), road cycling, mountain biking, rowing, riding horsies, XC skiing (ability card: aerobic endurance), weight training (ability card: superhuman strength), and the yoga (ability card: deep, focused, sentient breathing), I have the minimum training and background needed to wear both oxford and derby, balmoral and blucher, successfully without keeling over or gasping for air.

This is what DWF is talking about: not everyone can wear shoes.

8. F. Corbera

If we are talking about SF members, I can only extrapolate from their posts: my guess is that the breaths of most begin and end with their mouths open.

Am I right?

:confused:

9. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

I think I have this whole Topy thing figured out. The idea is to use rubber to protect the leather. I think the image below would address part of the OP's problem.

I just don't see myself putting Topy on any of my shoes.

[​IMG]

10. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

Hahaha....damn right! :cheers:

11. Archivist

Archivist Well-Known Member

But how many refills? It's the number of repetitions that really makes this work, you know.

1 person likes this.
  12. patrickBOOTH

Good info, thanks. The girlfriend wants to drag me to Bikram. I am skeptical of all yoga here in the states. I had a professor in college who studied it in India who taught the class a bit about it and he said in India it is totally different. Much more about the spiritual, and meditation and less "exercise" as the Americans need to be tricked into exercising via another path, ie Yoga.

13. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

14. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

These would function well on roller derby skates for knee falls. However many new skate manufacturers use the rubber you dip your tools in....

Yes I said "tool".

15. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Yes!!

As I'm sure your mastery of the discipline and your sensei have taught you, it requires a mindful grace, a crystalline serenity, and an utterly self-effacing humility...carefully and rigorously cultivated...to wear shoes properly.

In the absence of at least a modest epiphany in this regard, style becomes swagger and shoes become yet another tedious contemporary manifestation of phallocarp-y. (which, by the way, can also be practiced in heated or unheated rooms).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  16. lifeapprentice

lifeapprentice New Member

[​IMG]

Me too have left a deep scuff hole in my left shoes, just in my first wear.
    Have tried to use wax polish and spit shine to try cover up the scuff but I think I'm not doing it right.
    Can the masters teach me a few things or two, how can I save this small imperfection?

17. antisnob

antisnob New Member

Don't be a snob. You were in his position at some point in the past. Human beings tend to ridicule other humans making the same mistakes they did in the past just to feel better about themselves, so your comment says quite a lot about your character, or lack of it, actually.