1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

First time MTM buyer: Black Lapel vs Proper Suit vs Thick-as-Thieves vs other?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Locke42, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

It's easy to get any BB 1818 suit for around $700-$800. There's a 25% sale right now.

2. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

Oh, I know. Actually, I've pretty much given up on MTM because of comments like yours, and I'm probably going to go with two basic suits (navy + charcoal or grey) from BB. There's typically a 30-40% off sale after this sale, right? That's what I'm mainly holding out for.

3. Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ Well-Known Member

I have only OTR suits, but want to give online MTM a shot. I only wear a suit maybe 10-20 times per year, but I am debating between Indochino and Black Lapel. I'm in the same boat.

4. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when the 30% off sale starts, but I don't recall any 40% off sales, except maybe just after Christmas. Since you will be buying 2 suits, it isn't a bad idea to sign up for the BB credit card. You get 15% off on your first purchase. This is the only discount that stacks with the other discounts.

5. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Most of my suits are Samuelsohn and most of those are MTM. My preference for the latter has less to do with fit and more to do with having a full range of fabrics in varied weight, composition, texture etc. at my disposal, versus whatever half-dozen samples any individual vendor might have on offer. Not to mention being able to choose lining, number / placement / design of pockets etc. so that the final product is in all respects exactly what I want.

The suits invariably still need a bit of tweaking for fit on delivery, but not nearly so much as most OTR suits.

I order from a place that has periodic fabric sales - so I place my order then and generally get a MTM suit with a significantly upgraded fabric versus the OTR selections at barely more than an OTR price.

1 person likes this.
  6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

OP, after reading all this, I'll +1 to the suggestion that you pickup a BB's suit on sale. MTM is a process that takes a few iterations to get it looking better than OTR and IMO it's often done either because of fit issues (nothing OTR works), or because the commissioner has specific ideas of what they want (which in your case doesn't sound like you do)...

as for your tux fit, looks pretty good. I noticed the same things as you, a bit of tightness across the upper back, and a bit of lapel gap and chest bowing out. There are relatively minor considering what most people look like in suits.

g'luck

7. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

I already got the BB Mastercard; I used it to get a discount off my tuxedo, which, considering I had to get the pants, shirt, tie, and cummerbund as well, did bring down that price pretty considerably.

I would totally get the suits right now, because the current 25% off sale + the "2 for $1699" promo combine for about 40% off. BUT I want to see if they continue the "2 for $1699" promo with the 30% off sale. :)

Yeah, it was a 40S, which is smaller than I usually wear (42S), but I opted for it in this case because a 42S Madison swam on me (I could fit a bowling ball into the jacket, and I know that's way too big). 42S Fitzgerald or Regent seem to fit better, but the Fitz tuxedo was a notch lapel, and the 40S Madison really wasn't that far off.

Are those things you mentioned pretty easily correctable by a tailor? I bought it on fairly short notice, so I didn't have time to take it to one before the wedding, but now I do.