1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

First time at a club

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jinx, Oct 19, 2004.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

You know that this would count for crap in SoCal. Pretty much everyone is wearing sneakers except for the industry execs and their *assistants* and that lots of rich people are wearing the latest novelty watch (Dean, Red Monkey, etc... rather than, say, a Patek Phillipe.)

2. kidkim2

kidkim2 Well-Known Member

globetrotter--

Please excuse the tone of this message.  It has nothing whatever to do with you--or the value of your opinions.

Why is it that, whenever social class is mentioned, somebody calls attention to the exceptional case of a slob who's rich as Croesus?  What does this show us? That social class indicators are fallible?  Is this news?

I have no idea whether the reported correlation between shoes and SES is valid.  (In my case, I hope not.)  But I do know that Henry Ford's once having worn tennies to a deb party is a 64-point non sequitur.  As is the Bullwinkle watch of somebody else in the social register.

There.  I've said it, and I'm glad.

3. kidkim2

Oh, and BTW, if shoes--or watches, or roadsters--are indicators, it may not be their expense that is most telling. . . .

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

salesmen, of all kinds, have to be able to size people up very quickly and make snap judgments. the better you are at making these judgments, the more accurate they are, the better you end up doing. that is why a lot of people in sales and customer service use tricks like looking at shoes and watches. but the flip side of that is the people who don't fit in, or the "subcultures", for want of a better word - like SoCal - that have different standards. or people who blow the wad on a good fake watch or a single pair of good shoes to knock peoples perceptions off.

KK, sorry I didn't understand your point, so I guess you can count that as no offense taken...

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Yep. It depends on geopphical area, but most of the old Brahmin types around here dress very in very modest clothing(and I don't mean understated, I mean relatively inexpensive) and in L.A., that's another story altogether. New money dresses like no money, no money dresses like new money, and there is no old money to be found (unless Madonna counts.)

6. kidkim2

Excellent points, LA Guy.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Ah, like Sylvia von Harden at the Romanisches cafe in Weimar Germany. [​IMG]

8. kidkim2

Ah, yes. My kinda gal. as Raoul Hausmann used to say.

9. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

do not wear: black Prada suit, torn and faded gray t-shirt, bright white Nike tennis shoes, a pocket full of diamonds

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I know salespeople will typically look at watches/shoes to determine how much attention a client should be given at a high end shop.
    You know that this would count for crap in SoCal. Pretty much everyone is wearing sneakers except for the industry execs and their *assistants* and that lots of rich people are wearing the latest novelty watch (Dean, Red Monkey, etc... rather than, say, a Patek Phillipe.)
    Well, just like in clothing most salespeople wouldn't know a Blancpain from a Tag Heuer if their life depended on it. I can't recall how many times I have worn +$30k watches and still received horrible attention. Just because things are expensive, they don't A) look expensive and B) are widely known or understood. Really, how many people have seen ultra thin white gold perpetual AP's? Or WG Breitling Rattrapantes? Jon.

11. imageWIS

To add to my previous post, I have been in watch stores (like the flagship Tourneau in NYC) and the salespeople had no idea what I was wearing or how much it cost.

Jon.

12. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Ultra thin white gold perpetual AP's? WG Breitling Rattrapantes? Yeah. Use 'em to pave my driveway.

13. imageWIS

Like i said....

Jon.

14. kidkim2

W G Breitling. . . W G Breitling. . . nope, never heard of 'im.