• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First proper watch

MGLL

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first proper watch and have been thinking IWC Ingenieur 3227-01 or 372501

I have long been seeking a mint 3227-01 but have not yet seen one in the flesh. The other day whilst on my search I saw the 372501 and thought it looked stunning. What would you recommend? The purchase will be my first proper watch and a present to myself for finishing my Masters. It will most likely be a keeper and a watch I will wear often but in a rotation with my Tissot PRC200 on black leather strap (dressy?) and G-shock GA-150 in black (gym/sports).

I would also consider other watches. My criteria is steel, sports/dive/tool watch, worn with jeans and t-shirt as well as suit, preferably in-house movement, 39mm minimum, 45mm maximum. I would prefer something a little bit unique (hence the 322701), nothing with too much colour, just classic and timeless. I also considered a Rolex SD/Sub but feel they are becoming a little common and you see too many replicas... Budget is $3,500 to $5,750. (£2,000 to £3,500)

Advice/pictures greatly appreciated,

Marco

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My recommendations for your criterion:

Rolex Explorer I, 39mm, 100 M WR

IWC vintage Ingenieur, 42.5mm, 120 M WR

MGLL

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I did consider the Explorer 1 and it is a beautiful watch, however I do personally prefer the Ingenieur. I know that despite saying 39mm is the minimum, ideally I would prefer to go a little bigger. Despite this being my first proper purchase I do love watches and Genta's designs. A 39mm RO auto would be the perfect watch for me right now but it is out of budget. In your opinion what makes the Explorer 1 stand out over the Ingenieurs I posted?

I am looking for a watch with a steel strap as well.

MGLL

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the watches in question:

3227-01

3227-01 wrist shot

Photos taken from various forums.

papa kot

Reaction score
- You already have a sports watch (G-Shock)
- A watch that is generally accepted with a t-shirt/jeans may not be accepted with a suit
- You budget is too low for something decent that you can wear for years without being ubiquitous
- You will have an advanced degree which promises, in theory, a higher pay in the future

With this in mind, may I suggest saving your money until you can delight yourself with something worthy of your hard years in school?

DJosef

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first proper watch and have been thinking IWC Ingenieur 3227-01 or 372501

I have long been seeking a mint 3227-01 but have not yet seen one in the flesh. The other day whilst on my search I saw the 372501 and thought it looked stunning. What would you recommend? The purchase will be my first proper watch and a present to myself for finishing my Masters. It will most likely be a keeper and a watch I will wear often but in a rotation with my Tissot PRC200 on black leather strap (dressy?) and G-shock GA-150 in black (gym/sports).

I would also consider other watches. My criteria is steel, sports/dive/tool watch, worn with jeans and t-shirt as well as suit, preferably in-house movement, 39mm minimum, 45mm maximum. I would prefer something a little bit unique (hence the 322701), nothing with too much colour, just classic and timeless. I also considered a Rolex SD/Sub but feel they are becoming a little common and you see too many replicas... Budget is $3,500 to $5,750. (£2,000 to £3,500)

Advice/pictures greatly appreciated,

Marco

Okay, forget sports/dive/tool. You already have two of those. (The PRC200 is NOT dressy. It's a sports watch. Anything that has these small gimmicky dials on it is a sports watch.)
Also, I'd drop the 39mm minimum requirement. Get something understated and yet classy.

- You budget is too low for something decent that you can wear for years without being ubiquitous

$5,750 is LOW for a watch? Well may be if you're out for a minute repeater, or something made of solid gold, but it's more than enough to get a proper, respectable automatic.
In my opinion, a watch doesn't need to be worth a small home in Florida. In fact, I prefer if it isn't. There is a place in a man's life for buying a >$10,000 watch, but it's when he has made it* and wants to reward himself. Or if he's a hopeless watch otaku. :D
(* - Made it, as in become a C-level executive of a publicly listed company, or made his first million in private assets.)

papa kot

Reaction score
Okay, forget sports/dive/tool. You already have two of those. (The PRC200 is NOT dressy. It's a sports watch. Anything that has these small gimmicky dials on it is a sports watch.)
Also, I'd drop the 39mm minimum requirement. Get something understated and yet classy.

$5,750 is LOW for a watch? Well may be if you're out for a minute repeater, or something made of solid gold, but it's more than enough to get a proper, respectable automatic.
In my opinion, a watch doesn't need to be worth a small home in Florida. In fact, I prefer if it isn't. There is a place in a man's life for buying a >$10,000 watch, but it's when he has made it* and wants to reward himself. Or if he's a hopeless watch otaku. :D
(* - Made it, as in become a C-level executive of a publicly listed company, or made his first million in private assets.)

$5,750 is indeed low for a watch that meets the criteria of being proper and non-ubiquitous.

Most of the watches that come with this price tag (even used) are mass produced and "exclusive" only in the words of clever marketing gurus. While dropping more than 5 grand on a watch may sound ridiculous, I'd rather get a watch as opposed to a brand new car whose value will depreciate by that much within a couple of years.

The bottom line is: Either get something understated for less than $2K or wait until you can afford something useful.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
$5,750 is indeed low for a watch that meets the criteria of being proper and non-ubiquitous.

Most of the watches that come with this price tag (even used) are mass produced and "exclusive" only in the words of clever marketing gurus. While dropping more than 5 grand on a watch may sound ridiculous, I'd rather get a watch as opposed to a brand new car whose value will depreciate by that much within a couple of years.

The bottom line is: Either get something understated for less than $2K or wait until you can afford something useful.
wanker

jt10000

Reaction score

Probably right about exclusivity. And a little pathetic to care about it that much.

papa kot

Reaction score
Probably right about exclusivity. And a little pathetic to care about it that much.

Well, the OP stated that he wanted something unusual...

This is not that uncommon though... If you spend so much money on an accessory -- and let's face it a mechanical watch is one today -- you'd want something slightly different.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLC Reverso in stainless steel with a brown strap!

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go: classic elegance with a subtle dose of sixties style:

And here's a wild card. Probably the last piece that you want to get if your goal is to impress brand snobs, and likely only appreciated by a subset of watch enthusiasts, but the Grand Seiko automatic lineup gives up absolutely nothing in quality to any remotely comparable IWC / JLC / Omega, and is far less common than any of those:

A nice crossover beach-to-boardroom piece would be this Omega Aqua Terra. The new cal 8500 movement is just superb:

For a dress watch, I will repeat myself in suggesting that vintage pieces offer an unbeatable combination of classic style and value in a manufacture piece:

MGLL

Reaction score

JLC Reverso in stainless steel with a brown strap!

Here you go: classic elegance with a subtle dose of sixties style:

And here's a wild card. Probably the last piece that you want to get if your goal is to impress brand snobs, and likely only appreciated by a subset of watch enthusiasts, but the Grand Seiko automatic lineup gives up absolutely nothing in quality to any remotely comparable IWC / JLC / Omega, and is far less common than any of those:

A nice crossover beach-to-boardroom piece would be this Omega Aqua Terra. The new cal 8500 movement is just superb:

For a dress watch, I will repeat myself in suggesting that vintage pieces offer an unbeatable combination of classic style and value in a manufacture piece:

Thank you guys for actually being helpful unlike some of the others in this thread. I forgot to mention that I am looking into the second hand market (should have been obvious by the Ingenieurs I am looking at being dis-continued), and as a result have a little more scope. The Explorer that you mentioned is indeed a beautiful piece but I don't feel particularly drawn to it, I wouldn't want to spend so much on something that I didn't absolutely love! That Omega Aqua Terra is another that I have been keeping an eye on and is absolutely stunning. Does anyone have any experience with owning one?

With the responses in this topic coupled with my knowledge and research I am edging towards finding a mint 3227-01.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wholeheartedly recommend Bremont anything. They are rare and known mostly to horological fans and I'd argue that there is no better bang for the buck.

MGLL

Reaction score
Wholeheartedly recommend Bremont anything. They are rare and known mostly to horological fans and I'd argue that there is no better bang for the buck.
Thanks for the advice, any particular model?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads