1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

First Post on these forums

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ComputerHabit, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ComputerHabit

ComputerHabit Member

This is my first post. First I wanted to see if this would actually be read before continuing with other posts.

I'm not a very 'fashionable' guy. Jeans and T-shirts mostly. I have a Christmas part to go to and wanted some advice. In the past I have worn standard black slacks, white long sleeve shirt and a red tie.

I was trying to go out of my comfort zone a little. I told my wife I was thinking of wearing a bow-tie. She dared me so I took it a step further and bought a red bow-tie and a pink short sleeve shirt. Partially as a joke but also just to see what it would look like.

I didn't think it looked bad but my wife had a fit. Actually kept telling me how awful it was. So I wanted to post a photo but also wanted to make sure I would receive constructive criticism.

Please let me know this place is serious and not a troll baiting haven for pretty boys.

Thank you

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Provided you aren't trolling, there are a couple of threads in Men's Clothes or Streetwear & Denim that you can post pictures in and receive healthy, constructive criticism. Though by the sound of your outfit, you'd probably receive a lot of snark along with advice (at least, were it posted in MC...SW&D very much have their own thing going). Still, no trolling.

Regardless, welcome to SF.

3. ComputerHabit

ComputerHabit Member

Not trolling but will probably be accused of it.

4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

This place is incredibly serious. Except when we're not. Please, whatever you do, do not wear a short-sleeve dress shirt with a tie. Unless you fix computers for Best Buy.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHSH@R#!@#$!%3 that's pretty funny. the bolded part, I mean.

My suggestion: lurk a bit and get a feel for the commonality, work in elements that suit you. Welcome to SF

5. ComputerHabit

ComputerHabit Member

Agreed. I should have been an Ice Cream man.

It was hilarious though. My kids loved it and wife went to bed angry. A great laugh for a $13 shirt and a $10 bow-tie. Well worth the price.

6. Claghorn

Oi! Don't mock my naivete; I just haven't been around the forum long enough for it to wither into decrepit cynicism.

And now the OP needs to post that picture so that we may rejoice.

7. ComputerHabit

ComputerHabit Member

Ice Cream Man cometh......

[​IMG]

Please pay special attention to the TARDIS iPhone cover.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. That looks also works for an ice-cream man.

well-played, OP. Well-played.

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Pink and red don't match. White shirt would be better.

10. ComputerHabit

ComputerHabit Member

Watch out!! *booty slap*

[​IMG]

11. Bakes11771

Much better. If you had bought a matching red cummerbund with it, you'd really be in business.

12. Claghorn

Much better, but if you want to continue looking for advice, I suggest you check out the Men's Clothing section (but avoid starting threads for the express purpose of soliciting advice...there are a number of threads already dedicated to this).

If you want to seriously continue with bow ties, check out a member named Clarinet Player.

13. ComputerHabit

ComputerHabit Member

Thank you. I'll work on getting into the right area of the forums.

I held off on cumberbuns. I was concerned I'd look to much like wait staff.

The restaurant's waiters all wear black ties and cumberbuns and I knew this in advance from having been to these parties before.

So far I've had several compliments and believe it or not people check if the tie is a clip on. It isn't.

Luckily my youngest had a play date and the father of the friend is a bow tie efficianado so he schooled me on the fine art of tying it.

Nice evening, open bar, stuffed and liquored up. :)

Yay Christmas.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

white shirt w/o pocket would be better....if you must!

15. Bakes11771

What's wrong with the shirt pocket?

Just not right for a bowtie? or do you mean under any circumstance?

16. ComputerHabit

ComputerHabit Member

Thank you. I agree. I have trouble finding shirts sometimes with a 16" neck that are fitted for a 32" waist. It's either a very common size so they're the first to go or uncommon all together.

This one actually shrunk on me after it's first wash and felt more like 15". I ended up unbuttoned at the top. The tie hid that so I was comfortable.

I'm thinking of attempting more bow-tie gear.

Something like this page.

http://www.trashness.com/short-sleeves-and-a-bow-tie