1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Finding affordable menswear? (chicago)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tdellaringa, Feb 2, 2016.

1. tdellaringa

tdellaringa Well-Known Member

I like that one, it was one of the ones I was hoping to find. They didn't have it at the store I went to. I think I can have it sent to a store to try it on. I actually like it with that vest, and they have that vest too.

Edit: Reserved it in store, I will go try it on and see what the deal is. Not sure a 40 will fit, that's the only one close to my size they have.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Buy-one get-one-free generally indicates low quality. Brand names don't mean quality (and CK is the only brand cited above that sometimes is good quality). It's debatable whether Men's Wearhouse sells any high-quality clothing.

TM Lewin often has good prices on quality shirts.

Lands' End's products are fairly ordinary, but it has an unusually wide range of fits for pants.

3. tdellaringa

I get what you are saying, but I feel like I've gotten good value there at times. Here's some real quick photos of the trousers I got as part of the two for one. (Yes, they need to be ironed). These are Joseph Abboud, 100% cotten with a really nice herringbone. They are insanely comfortable and fit me perfectly. I've gotten lots of nice compliments on them. I wear them a lot and so far they hold up well. The second pair is brown and has a slightly different texture.

Sure they are made in Vietnam, so the quality is not like something made in Italy. But I am very happy to have these two pairs.

[​IMG]

4. engchi006

engchi006 New Member

Have you thought about thrift stores? There is a Salvation Army on Clybourn that sells gently-used clothes. I believe they select their clothes, because most of the stuff is in great condition.

The thing you're going to have to forget, though, is expecting to pay $5 for a shirt. With nicer selection comes higher prices. Good shirts can be found for $10, and the more expensive brands are closer to $15-20. I've picked up shirts that were probably worn twice, dry cleaned, and then donated. Great deals can be had.

Ties run from $4-$9. You're going to find at least seven BB Makers ties and every single of the five times I've been I have seen one of Brioni, Zegna, RLPL, or Turnbull & Asser. You just have to spend about five minutes pawing through Croft & Barrow and Kenneth Cole Reaction.

Plus 69 cent Saturdays, it's mostly a gimmick, but you might get a Zegna and J.Crew or Banana Republic for $15.68, if you look at it that way. I'm just about half your age, so I guess I can get away with a wider range of the designs and colors.

Side story: I'm chilling one day, waiting for someone when I notice that we're parked outside a shabby thrift store somewhere on the West Side. First thing I pick out is a pure cashmere BB Golden Fleece sport coat in my size for $1.60. Second one is a Loro Piana cashmere sport coat (that I left behind) in not-my-size. In and out in five minutes, thank you.

Second recommendation is to go to places like Nordstrom Rack, Last Call, etc. and try on some brands you like to gauge your size. You might even find deals to your liking then and there (Hickey Freeman or Samuelsohn suits for ~$300 and as low as $200). Then, be on the lookout for deals and snap them up. The subreddit frugalmalefashion on Reddit is pretty good for this stuff.

Anytime I have a free weekend I go to Chicago to do this sort of thing. I've learned so much from just going out "in the field". I usually pick up a shirt and a couple of ties to sell on eBay to cancel out my costs, but it's also a hobby.

My dad signs up for rewards accounts and lets family and friends who visit use his coupons and account to gather rewards. They get a nice discount and he gets money into his rewards account.

5. tdellaringa

I have tried thrift stores out in the burbs, and the stuff out here is garbage. It makes sense that places in the city would be better, and I have heard that. It would be a long trek for me, I live in the far NW burbs. Do you have the exact address of the place?

Shirts I don't really need so much, and I'm very picky about the fit. But I'd be happy to pay 15-20 for a couple good shirts. Absolutely.

I may have to give that a shot one day. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. tdellaringa

1 person likes this.
  7. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Excellent! Please do combine it with light grey and khaki trousers.

Fit pic soon?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Veremund

Ok, now that you've got the blazer role filled, next target is this grey jacket. :D

1 person likes this.
  9. Veremund

What's your shoe size?

10. tdellaringa

Sure, will be happy to once I get it. Probably will be a week or so, they need to do the alteration and then ship it here (place is almost an hour away).

I have khaki colored chinos, although they need altering (length). Do you mean wear a grey shirt? (or did you mean grey trousers?)

11. tdellaringa

Grey jacket, got it. They actually had a 2-1 sale going (like they often do) but since I was getting online pricing, I couldn't swindle a second jacket ;).

I did try on an extreme slim fit blue Calvin Klein jacket that I really liked. I think it was $400. I wonder what you all think of it?

[​IMG]

12. tdellaringa

Generally 9.5 US. That's what both my pair are right now.

Also Veremund - thanks a lot for helping out and not judging my shoes too harshly ;) Seriously I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  13. Veremund

Grey trousers my good man. As for shirts, you really only need 3 white and 3 blue. After that, perhaps a blue and white stripe, or a red and white stripe, or a brown and white stripe. Purple, red, black, grey and all the other colours of the rainbow are quite unnecessary. I know you went and bought six differently colored shirts, but I wasn't there to stop you. ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. Veremund

And do get your 2 pairs of khakis and 2 pairs of light and medium grey trousers hemmed forthwith! Not too long, not too short! :D

15. tdellaringa

Hehe, I actually maybe did better on shirts than you think. I currently have:

2 White (1 from Modern Tailor made to my measurements, but the collar is too big)
    1 Blue
    1 Black
    1 Grey
    1 Dark Burgundy

I have my first J. Hilburn shirt coming in a couple weeks, it's my first pattern, more casual. But I will be looking for the striped versions you mentioned.

And I have the grey trousers I posted earlier that I was planning to wear with the jacket.

16. Veremund

Once you get a few pair of nice proper shoes, you'll look back on those nasty, two-toned abominations and just sigh as you slowly shake your head. Just like me. :lol:

17. tdellaringa

[​IMG]

I don't know - I rubbed them down with Mink Oil yesterday, changed into the brown laces and now I REALLY like them. :)

18. Veremund

You'll need more blue and white.

I'd say there's only one use for the black shirt. With a light grey suit and no tie, as very smart casual at night. Never in the daytime, never with a tie.

As for the grey shirt, I'd suggest it with white pants in the summertime.

19. Veremund

Good god man. What am I going to do with you. :brick: