1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Apr 12, 2010.

1. chomeo

chomeo Well-Known Member

Only $540 at Antonioli. Tempting as fuck.

how's the fit on these?

2. snake

snake Well-Known Member

I've never handled them in person but I hear they run a bit large.

3. chomeo

chomeo Well-Known Member

i shouldn't be looking but damn! i'd buy that over lanvin's hi-top!

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

Only $540 at Antonioli. Tempting as fuck.
    smh....

5. KonaGold

KonaGold New Member

I wish I was a baller.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I agree that some that quality = durability...but my question is to what degree. how much more durable is the $700 lanvins vs my $200 colehaans.

Quality of materials and how it is made is definitely much better but the name definitely carries a premium too. The style/design, shape and silhouette has to be considered as well. Sometimes, you can only find the particular styling you like from that one brand and you might have to pay more for it.

I often have this kind of discussion with watch enthusiasts who say they wouldn't buy a designer watch because it isn't from a reputable watchmaker. My side is I have to like the watch design and style first as an ETA movement is just as robust and accurate (sometimes even more reliable) than an in-house movement from more expensive watches. So even if it has a tourbillon and on sale at 70% but it is one ugly watch, I would take the comparable watch at full retail if I like how that looks much better.

Pretty similar concept, it just works either way and depends on what you prefer in a watch/shoe.

7. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

I can't wait until a company releases a german army replica (Adidas BW anyone?) at 1/5th the price of Margiela sneaks with comparable quality. All they have to do is remove the stripes from the sambas and we are one step closer to affordable bliss. I have a feeling some company is going to catch wind of this german army thing and score big. Get on it!

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the day where I can buy a phantom replacement for 50k, until then my life won't be complete.

9. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Well-Known Member

That's not really a fair comparison. The margielas are themselves a replica of a cheap shoe from the 70s. Idk about the quality comparison, however.

10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

He is waiting around for a shoe of similar quality for a fifth the price so I think it was quite a valid comparison. Aren't stan smiths a fifth the price of cp?

11. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

I can't wait until a company releases a german army replica (Adidas BW anyone?) at 1/5th the price of Margiela sneaks with comparable quality. All they have to do is remove the stripes from the sambas and we are one step closer to affordable bliss. I have a feeling some company is going to catch wind of this german army thing and score big. Get on it!
    Just wear the original GATs????

12. asobu

asobu Well-Known Member

speaking of stan smith, i would rock these:

[​IMG]

13. muziq925

muziq925 Well-Known Member

14. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

They look fine to me pictures suck though and the patent leather squeaked alot when I had a pair

15. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

the lambskin on the mmm gat's are awesome though

16. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

Just wear the original GATs????

Original GAT's are often second hand or in shitty condition. If you happen to come across some that are new, chances are the lining and materials aren't that great. I understand the lambskin lining is nice and whatever for the MMM replicas, but in all honesty no vulcanized sole basic trainer should cost close to what the MMM replicas cost. Figuring adidas sambas ,which closely resemble the original GAT in terms of construction and amount of material, only cost $60. If adidas were to manufacture a replica with only slightly better materials and similar construction to the sambas, IMHO they wouldn't sell for more than $100. It only makes sense for a company to copy the design and release a GAT (which seems to be the new CP nowdays in terms of silhouette) . They would make a killing, and it is only evidenced by the recent hype created by MMM trainers (kvc talking about MMM in every thread lulz, baller sneaker thread consisting of mainly CP, lanvin, MMM, and Rick, and all the top posters getting rep for their GAT jawns). All im saying is that out of all the luxury sneaks, the replica GATs can be sold at a much lower price with decent quality. Shoes like CP lanvin and Rick can't really sacrifice quality without changing the aesthetic of the shoe completely. Troll on!

17. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

18. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

Gotta agree, I'd never buy them at $425 or whatever they cost at retail. A nice alternative with equal quality for under $200 would be great, but MMM's lightly used or ever new can be had for that on occasion.

19. Exalt

Exalt Well-Known Member

Quick fit pics of the MMM.
    Black GATS lows looks blue but it's just the pic/lighting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinner laces vs. the thicker ones on the mids.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm liking the MMM mids. How do those fit? TTS? And, how much did you grab them for?

20. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

man the GATS arent even fully leather lined if i recall correctly