1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Mackinaw Cruiser

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grayland, Feb 3, 2009.

1. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Congrats!

I sold the thinner Wool Cruiser, but of course kept my vintage 26oz cruiser. It is my go-to coat when weather is going to be below 40F here in Texas.

I also kept the vintage, original Navy Peacoat, for when it gets really cold "and" windy here in Texas, since it is longer and covers/protects even better than my Cruiser.

Will

2. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

I just got one in Large. It fits me very well with an OCBD on underneath. There is enough room for a light insulating layer on, like maybe a merino sweater, but the shoulders would get tight if I tried to wear a burley wool sweater. I could chop wood in it or go hike or snowshoe no problem. The body and waist are not tentlike, and also not constraining. It's exactly what I want for 40'ish foggy winter mornings in Sacramento and should go down to the upper 20's just fine.

For reference, I am 5' 10" , 200 lbs, with wide shoulders. I'm not slim, but I don't have a big gut, either. I usually fit 42 or 44 regular suit coats, sometimes taken in a bit at the waist. The JCrew Ludlow cut fits me well in 44 regular with the sleeves taken up about 1 inch.

Hope this helps...

3. tjandrews

tjandrews New Member

So Like you I was going to purchase a Mackinaw Cruiser and was telling my friend about it. He recommended I look up Tradition Creek (also made in the US - veteran owned company.) They make theirs out of melton wool, a higher quality then the filson mill and it's like a hundred bucks less than a filson. Anyway, this is the coat I ended up going with and couldn't be happier, plus they have a 100% lifetime warranty on the coat, so that's always epic.

http://traditioncreek.com/product/superior-double-back-double-front-navy-blue/

Hope this helps!

4. LahmansBeard

LahmansBeard Member

Sorry to revive an old thread.

I'm looking to pick up a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser with the Seattle Fit. I'm a 38 suit. 5'10" 150. Are we thinking small then?

Is the Seattle fit more fitted?

5. Tweedboy

Tweedboy Active Member

Yeah the Seattle is much more fitted. My one above is a large I'm 190lbs sadly. They don't seem to measure them the same way in the UK. I'd say they're still pretty generously sized I have enough room for a T shirt and a hoodie under mine easily

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. Junglejack

Junglejack Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed the now discontinued Seattle Cruiser which is now simply a Mackinaw Cruiser with the Seattle Fit. There is a difference in the wool though as the Seattle Cruiser uses the Yukon Wool as opposed to the Mackinaw Wool. Still 24oz wool however, but slightly less coarse. I have it in the Camo/Otter Green color and could not be happier.

7. emidyl

emidyl Well-Known Member

I grabbed this in a MED a couple weeks ago. I hear it is now discontinued, though not sure why because with the red plaid lining this is a killer jacket, and adds that extra bit of
    warmth

http://shoplostfound.com/collection...d-wool-seatle-cruiser-charcoal-navy-red-plaid

I'm 5'9" about 155.
    Suit 38 slim or regular 36. I'm thinking a S would not allow me to layer in the winter, and this way the MED allows that option. Can still wear it with just my Gitman flannels fine.
    Great piece.

8. Tweedboy

Tweedboy Active Member

Just bought my latest two Filson pieces, a black Mackinaw vest and a Tin Cloth Cruiser (Seattle Fit). As before I'm so impressed with them. A note on fit: I think the vest, which is the Alaska fit, is only slightly bigger than true to size, I went for my suit jacket size and that allows me to fit a heavy flannel shirt underneath. If I'd gone down a size then it would fit like a dress waistcoat. The TC Cruiser is a large which allows for a shirt and the vest underneath [ATTACHMENT=12016]image.jpeg (837k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

9. LahmansBeard

LahmansBeard Member

Did anyone ever pick up the Navy Cruiser from 2013? It's bonded wool, they also call it boiled wool.

The current small Seattle fit cruisers fit me perfectly. Should I assume that the 2013 small Seattle fit would do the same?

I only ask because I picked up a 36 Filson Forestry Cruiser and it was too small. Probably needed the 38 in the numbered sizes.

Dumb question? Does 2013 Seattle Fit = 2015 Seattle Fit?

10. A10ACN

A10ACN Member

Not 100% wool unfortunately.