1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and let you be That Guy who's gear is ruined when his precious $1000 "decent" bag goes over the side of the boat while fishing, or is in the back of a truck that you've just walked a mile away from when it gets caught in a rain storm.

Seriously, If you are not a fan of Filson bags, get off this thread. As far as I've seen, nobody here holds your opinion to a very high standard any way.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Crane's thank you so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated! And I understand everything you said. Yeah I have a 60 yard archery range in my side yard with 160+ class bucks walking through it LOL. And on 4th year of preference points for elk and mulie in Co. But have come to love watching the dog work more than anything else.

At sunrise was using the 4 wt. on a limestone creek having fun with some browns and rainbows. About 10 it got up to 41 air temp so took the jacket off but kept the Seattle weight vest liner on. Perfect day and the Filson jacket and liner were also perfect. Took this picture of the back of the rig after I threw the jacket in:

[​IMG]

About $1400 worth of Filson not counting what is in them. Fished for a bit more and kept 2 medium sized bows, built a small fire and wrapped them in aluminum foil and cooked them for lunch. Then headed over to the sportsman and conservation club to shoot a couple of rounds of Sporting Clays with my Custom Joel Etchen Gold E in prepration of a shoot down in Nebraska next weekend. On call this week (electronic leash) so have to carry my laptop everywhere I go just in case.

Some people will never understand Filson no matter what. Or know what a 44 lb. King feels like on an 8wt. and 10 lb. tippet. Their loss. Keep 'em in the X ring....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice collection. I'm rocking the otter green on the original briefcase, small duffle, and suit cover (not garment bag).

4. Cold Iron

Being retired Navy the green reminds me too much of the big green weenie, the Army [​IMG] Seriously though no offense to those that served in the Army.

Nice collection. I like brown but your limited in selection with that color. I went with tan for the fly rod case and gun case (unscoped) because green is the common color of Boyt and several other gun case manufactures, so a tan gun case says even at a distance Filson. But is almost impossible to keep clean as is the tan fly rod case. Where I can't get brown I get green for that reason. For what it's worth I purchased a sportsman bag from a member on here that he was selling because he felt it was too large for a camera case and wanted a small duffle instead. The sportsman bag is the perfect size for a range bag so it may be a bit large for a camera bag. If you start shooting I highly recommend the sportsman bag however.

What are your thoughts on the large travel bag if you don't mind me asking? I keep thinking my next bag will be the classic Pullman but I keep looking at the large travel bag instead. There are not a lot of reviews on the Filson site for it.

5. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

Quote: If you don't mind me adding input here-

I've been trying to tackle the same issue: Large Carry On vs. Pullman vs. Large Travel Bag. I went to the filson store and picked the brains of just about everybody in there. It was pretty unanymous that the Pullman is the way to go.

First of all, being able to fully open the Large Carry On and Pullman completely knocked the Large Travel Bag out of the competition.

The exterior pockets of the Pullman are more easily accessible than the Large Carry On. It has a more box-like design, like a traditional suitcase, which makes it easier for packing. Also it has duel handle straps that come from the front and back of the bag, which creates a more even weight distribution when you carry it by its handles.

As far as anyone in the store could tell, there were only two downsides to the Pullman:
    #1. The rings for the shoulder straps are on the back side (same as the Large Carry On), so when it is heavily packed, it's awkard to carry by shoulder strap unless you are carrying it on the opposite shoulder (if the bag is on your right side, cross the strap over to your left shoulder).
    #2. The bag is designed to to take full advantage of Carry On size limits; so if you've stuff the bag so big that it's bulging, it will probably exceed the maximum size allowed to carry on and will have to be transported as a check in bag.

I'm leaning toward the Pullman. The restrictiveness of the Travel Bag was a deal breaker. The Large Carry On bag kind of looks like an oversized man purse to me, and seems a bit awkward to maneuver. Plus, the Pullman is less expensive than the Carry On and is, in my opinion, it's the best bang for your buck!

6. entrero

entrero Well-Known Member

Iroh :violin:
    [​IMG]

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I'd go with the Pullman. The large travel is my least favorite bag. (I like the medium travel bag though.) I just got a really good deal on this large one. It's wide, which makes it much harder to carry by the handle because it rubs against your leg. Since it's big and likely to be heavy when used, the shoulder strap is kind of uncomfortable. The Pullman is more elongated. I bought a new one a couple years back, but quickly flipped it.

8. Cold Iron

I for one do not mind your input and find it extremely helpful. Yes I was also considering the Large Carry On at one time so we can't be the only the two people in the world to be evaluating these 3 bags. I was able to rule out the Carry On but torn on the Travel Bag yet. After your critical and thorough evaluation not any more. Another thing I was considering was for short trips I could put another suit in the Pullman and skip carrying a garment bag. Thank You!

Thanks! I do believe there is an Otter Green Pullman in my future... [​IMG]

9. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I recently purchased the red label tote bag.

The handles seem to be messed up already and keep shedding leather particles all over my clothes....

Is this normal or is there a defect in the handles?

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

^this happens with the underside of the leather handles often. its just the raw leather shedding. it'll eventually stop (after a week of use) and start to smooth out.

if the shedding is coming from the finished outside part - then you should complain about a defect.

11. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea how I can remove some denim stains from my 256? :)

Stupid naked and famous is bleeding all over my bag.

12. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

Me -- tan zippered tote. :bigstar:

Mind you, a co-worker remarked, "that looks like the sort of bag a revolutionary would carry!" ... :rolleyes:

13. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

CI, flyfishing! Oh now we're talking. I got a few rods laying around. LOL. I tie my own as well. Flyfishing to me is like therapy. I really need to get back out to Wyoming.... for about a decade. You just might know this river... [​IMG] Better not let me around your archery range during gun season. 160 class is def an instant go shot. I have an itch to try and get myself one of those Pronghorns out in Wyoming or Montana with an unscoped Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt. I'll bring along the BAR in 270 just in case getting in range is impossible. I'll tell you what, the back of your truck could esily pass for mine. LOL. I've drug Filson gear all over the place for decades and to date haven't found anything better when afield. Again if the stuff can survive hardcore outdoorsman it'll pretty much just shrug off anything less.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  14. furo

furo Well-Known Member

There are products made for denim transfer but on canvas-type material it might be tough... there's a product called Vectra that my wife uses for denim transfer that worked some indigo out of her leather purses pretty well ... come to think of it the product might be for denim transfer protection rather than a cleanser

15. furo

furo Well-Known Member

My father's an avid outdoorsman who hunts and fishes the northwest pretty intensely and makes a living in a related outdoorsman trade. Anyways, just to your point, he's been lugging all of the same equipment around for decades, but he sources it all from one place: Army surplus

He's probably saved hundreds if not thousands over the bigger retail brand names like Filson for equivalent gear in durability terms. I don't know much about the manufacturers of the Army gear but perhaps Filson is one of them...

16. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

ha! :rotflmao:
    yeah I thought I`d keep the tan zippered tote. i`d probably add a small duffle in the same color. fuck that brown small suffle + briefcase combo got me thinkin twice.

anyone got the wheeled carry on in tan?

17. poorman

poorman Well-Known Member

:)

18. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Yes. Flown >100,000 miles with it in the last 14 months. Works well. It's showing very little wear--just some leather scuffing and mild grey smudges on the fabric--they give it character. The only time I haven't flown with it since I got it at the end of 2010 was when I went to England in March. The mechanics of the handle take up a little bit of room in the bag and I carried on my Filson Pullman instead.

It is quite distinctive, though. If you want to cut a lower profile, one of the darker colors would be better -- the bag is still a Filson, but doesn't jump out quite as much from a distance.

19. motosacto

20. motosacto

Why are you concerned about keeping the cases clean? If that's the primary concern, isn't nylon (say cordura or ballistic) a better solution?