• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

raptorrapture

Reaction score

I've been considering getting a filson 256 for daily use to carry around campus. I'm just wondering if any of you have carried the filson briefcase daily with raw denim jeans - i'm afraid the indigo from the jeans will rub off all over the bag, which i don't think would be very nice. In that case, maybe the briefcase in brown would be my best bet, as the indigo stains would be less noticeable (hopefully). Any thoughts?

I have one and the indigo does rub off on the tan, but I actually find that it adds to the "worn-in" or "patina" look of the bag. Gives it some character. Anyway, to each his own.

I really need one of these... Do they ever go on sale?

Very rarely and the most you'll get (if lucky) is 20%. Most of the times it's due to the fault of the reseller.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JoeNK

Reaction score
I really like to buy a filson 256 after reading this thread. Don't know go for tan or brown.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Got a question re the Filson briefcase:

What always struck me about the Filson is how beat to hell they look after a while and how incommensurate that is with the sleek, polished look of many of you here in the MC forum.

How do you resolve that? Does it bother you that the Filson looks so rumpled after a time when the rest of your kit looks so sharp?

Canvas is obviously a rugged material, which has a charm all its own, but then the much disparaged ballistic nylon is also very rugged and retains its sheen and shape much longer. Why does canvas get all the love and ballistic nylon doesn't?

I'm authentically curious about all this.

raptorrapture

Reaction score

What always struck me about the Filson is how beat to hell they look after a while and how incommensurate that is with the sleek, polished look of many of you here in the MC forum.

How do you resolve that? Does it bother you that the Filson looks so rumpled after a time when the rest of your kit looks so sharp?

Canvas is obviously a rugged material, which has a charm all its own, but then the much disparaged ballistic nylon is also very rugged and retains its sheen and shape much longer. Why does canvas get all the love and ballistic nylon doesn't?

Again, can't speak for everybody, but I like my clothing and accessories to have a little character. I like them to say something about me and how I wear or use those items. Like raw denim, canvas bags tend to fade and get worn-in rather nicely (so does leather for that matter). Filson bags are great because they have leather + canvas.

That being said - I don't think I'd ever pair a well-worn Filson bag with a sleek suit. Other have done this with varying degrees of success, but I think it looks out of place on me. With chinos or denim though? Absolutely - I think it matches the aesthetic well.

converge

Reaction score
For those who are in between a small duffle and medium duffle, consider the medium travel bag.

Small duffle: 39 linear inches
Medium travel bag: 42 linear inches
Medium duffle: 52 linear inches

I have the medium travel bag and it's been great for overnight trips and weekend trips. It has the advantage of being one of Filson's largest bags that is still carry-on compliant.

But what puts it over the top are the 4 outside pockets and 2 inside pockets (which I can easily fit my 13" MBP with sleeve). It's kind of like a giant 256 but without the outer flap.

The only downside is that price is almost identical to the medium duffle. Plus it doesn't have that "classic duffle" appearance.

70246-main-242.jpg

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ballistic nylon ages(looks) badly. It will probably outlast canvas, but does not have the same rustic charm. Unless you're specifically looking for strength-to-weight advantages of nylon, I believe you'll be much better off with canvas Filson

ElDave

Reaction score

It depends largely on the wearer's style. If you go for Italian style, Filson is probably not for you. If you prefer English style and your favorite jacket is tweed, then Filson might be your thing.

And ballistic nylon has a sheen to retain...that's why a lot of SFers won't like it. Shiny things generally don't look good.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Helpful answers, all. Thanks.

I'm no fan of ballistic nylon, but don't find the Filson at all in tune with my own personal aesthetic. That said, I "get" the look and the appeal, and think it would be great with tweeds, richly textured wools, etc.

Oddly, I've seen a lot of Filson in Berlin. It seems to be one of the brands of choice among the younger, less buttoned down set -- artists, tech workers, etc.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this! I'm probably going to by the medium travel bag due to your informative post.

For those who are in between a small duffle and medium duffle, consider the medium travel bag.

I have the medium travel bag and it's been great for overnight trips and weekend trips. It has the advantage of being one of Filson's largest bags that is still carry-on compliant.

But what puts it over the top are the 4 outside pockets and 2 inside pockets (which I can easily fit my 13" MBP with sleeve). It's kind of like a giant 256 but without the outer flap.

The only downside is that price is almost identical to the medium duffle. Plus it doesn't have that "classic duffle" appearance.

70246-main-242.jpg

bobm

Reaction score

Again, can't speak for everybody, but I like my clothing and accessories to have a little character. I like them to say something about me and how I wear or use those items. Like raw denim, canvas bags tend to fade and get worn-in rather nicely (so does leather for that matter). Filson bags are great because they have leather + canvas.

That being said - I don't think I'd ever pair a well-worn Filson bag with a sleek suit. Other have done this with varying degrees of success, but I think it looks out of place on me. With chinos or denim though? Absolutely - I think it matches the aesthetic well.

Well said; agree 100%. I like Filson bags (and some clothing) for the same reasons. I have no need of dressing formally 99% of the time, so the Filson bags suits me just fine - plus I like the fact that they are made in the USA. I have zero interest in Filson's newer - nylon luggage.

Bob

hymo

Reaction score

Helpful answers, all. Thanks.

I'm no fan of ballistic nylon, but don't find the Filson at all in tune with my own personal aesthetic. That said, I "get" the look and the appeal, and think it would be great with tweeds, richly textured wools, etc.

Oddly, I've seen a lot of Filson in Berlin. It seems to be one of the brands of choice among the younger, less buttoned down set -- artists, tech workers, etc.

It's less the look and more the feel. It is so sturdy you feel you can go anywhere and do anything with it.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

70246-main-242.jpg

Thanks for this! I'm probably going to by the medium travel bag due to your informative post.

i'm thinking the exact same thing. Thanks for the info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads