1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

received my otter green 257. Love the color. 256 on the left is about 6 months old

[​IMG]

2. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

Hi Guys,

First time poster, long time lurker. I've been wanting a briefcase for business use. My office is rather business casual, and the majority of the people emphasize the casual - but I was wondering what your thoughts were On he 256 for the office in tan? I've seen this asked here before, but if anyone has pictures of the 256 with nice business attire I'd appreciate it. I'd like it to go from bus casual to a suit if needed. Other people in my office seem to think the brown would be better.

Also - can't seem to find this when I search, but anyone have opinions/photos of the slim laptop briefcase by filson?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. theclipper

theclipper Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to re-wax these bags with to protect from the rain? I'm a little nervous that my laptop is going to get wet once it starts to rain again here in Seattle.

4. hattori_gonzo

hattori_gonzo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any pictures of the filson black bags range?

[​IMG]

5. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

this bag got age + character 'steampunk fashion' ? like to see that :)

1 person likes this.
  6. LukeM

LukeM Well-Known Member

I am torn between the tan and the brown. What would you guys suggest for a college student that mostly wears Clarks Beeswax Desert Boots and Levis jeans with button up sport shirts?

Also what online retailer is the cheapest for a Filson 257 that could get it to me before september 7th if I live in Canada?

1 person likes this.
  7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

the problem with the colors is that they all look great. Nothing too bright, flashy, or over-the-top. All three colors are earth tone and go well with blue jeans, brown shoes, etc. if you really want to grab a BNWT 257 on the cheap, i recommend eBay. I picked my green one up for $200 shipped

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

re-wax? are filson bags even waxed with to begin with? is it similar to what they use on some of their jackets? today I sprayed my new 257 with some suede waterproof/dirt resistant solution. its made by red wing for boots but i have found that it works great with filson bags as well. after 2 sprays, the water droplets just roll of like buttah. i considered waxing my old 256 and I went as far as buying the proof dressing but its just too much of a hassle. the spray works great on suede shoes so im hoping I get similar results with my 257.

on another note, things were getting a little tight with the 256. I had a 13 macbook pro with sleeve, 2 4x8 books, charger, headphones, pens, etc and everything i mentioned fit great. However, I recently began carrying a 1.5 inch 9x12 book and things got tight really quick. it became difficult getting things in and out. but with the 257, everything fits great and I dont have to hesitate when im packing for the fear of everything not fitting. plus the otter green is dope. tan got a bit boring

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

I just bought the tan in 256. Haven't seen the brown or a 257, but these observations:

1. the 256 is bigger than it looked to me in the pics and is more than large enough for going to work type use. Bigger than what I'm used to. Glad I didn't go for the 257 (don't take a lappie to and from tho)
    2. the color contrast between the strapping and the canvas is gr8, I prefer it. Was concerned about the canvas getting dirty, but it's actually a bit darker in person to my eye than in pics
    3 quality is fantastic. brass zip is prob most robust I've seen. Hard to believe any of it would ever wear out
    4. canvas is quite stiff if not rigid new.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  10. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Well-Known Member

By the way, Levi's has a 25% sale going on their website with free shipping. As far as I know, it works on everything, even their Filson collaboration.

So anyone looking to get the Filson x Levi's tote bag (normally $118) can do so for about $88.50 shipped. Ends 9/6.

11. kcherney

kcherney Member

after giving my brown 257 an examination yesterday, i noticed how the front/top has faded dramatically as opposed to the back

i don't have particularly good lighting in my house but i'll try and snap some photos in the daylight tomorrow

i think it looks great

12. hawaiiguy27

hawaiiguy27 New Member

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

14. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

15. Islander

Islander Well-Known Member

@NAMOR, dye your 256! I'm telling you man, it can be done (5)

Have you re-waxed it with that Barbour wax yet? How about some pics?

16. northerner

northerner Member

Does anyone here own a Filson duffle? I am considering buying one, but i am not sure if i should buy the small or the medium. I will probably use it mostly for weekend trips, so i am leaning towards the small, but if anyone have any pictures or info on how much you can cram into a bag, it will be greatly appreciated.

17. Islander

Islander Well-Known Member

Buy a small for weekend trips. I have been trying to decide between the small duffle, the sportsman's bag or the medium travel bag as an overnight bag... they are all about the same size.

Small Duffle Bag 220

18" x 10 3/8" x 11"
    Sportsman's Bag 266

18" x 11" x 12"
    Med Travel Bag 246

18" x 13" x 11"

There are lots of results in Google image search if you have absolutely no idea how big they are. Medium duffle is great but imo too big for use as a weekend bag:

[​IMG]

As for my decision, an airline carry-on was my top priority so I just ordered a Pullman from Glen's Outdoors (great deal, thanks hawaiiguy). I am hoping that having the Pullman in hand to see how it functions irl will make the overnight bag decision easier.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  18. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

a coworker dyed her's green and it looks pretty cool. ill talk to her about it. havent done anything with the tan 256 yet because I ended up buying an otter green 257. Ill use the 257 until i figure out what to do with the 256.

Nice pickup with the pullman. I love packing for trips with a duffle; its much faster compared to a suitcase.

19. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

Cough cough sell your tan 256 to me cough cough.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

haaa, and then what would I do? ill def use the 256 again. the deal posted above is a good deal for a staple item

edit - a couple months back I sold a like new Filson 258 for $175. Ouch. Wish i hadnt