• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Does anyone know how consistent Filson's process for canvas color is? I'm trying to put together a set of otter green bags and I have a hard time finding bags that look like they match. It seems as the bags age they lose their green tone and start to turn almost grey or brown. Or is all the variety because Filson has used slightly different colors of canvas? Do they have different sources?

if you buy them new, even from different sources, I am sure they would be the same color. I don't believe that Filson has more than 1 factory to make the 22oz waxed canvas. On the other hand if you are collecting older, used bags, then the canvas would certainly look different depending on how much they were exposed to the sun, what wear they had, etc. etc.... Also pictures of bags don't really do the color justice as you are dependent on lighting, exposure and so on.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Does anyone know how consistent Filson's process for canvas color is? I'm trying to put together a set of otter green bags and I have a hard time finding bags that look like they match. It seems as the bags age they lose their green tone and start to turn almost grey or brown. Or is all the variety because Filson has used slightly different colors of canvas? Do they have different sources?

They evolve due to sunlight, or age I guess.

If I look under the straps on my tan 240, the canvas is darker.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson is apparently coming out with selvedge jeans?
300447473.jpg

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck
Here is the #256 I just received the other day from Crane's.
Can't wait to start using it and loosening it up a little.

IMG_2013-1.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

What did you pay for shipping, customs etc? There is a Canadian rep here in Calgary for Filson as well.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReversoLover
nevermind. found the 232 otter for $165 - good deal?

Yes, but the 232 is too small for what you're looking for. You want the 257.

Zaarin

Reaction score
How well would a 256 fit a: MacBook Pro 13inch, charger, typical textbook and a notebook? The daily commute would be very long so I prefer a lighter version (compared to the 257).

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zaarin
How well would a 256 fit a: MacBook Pro 13inch, charger, typical textbook and a notebook? The daily commute would be very long so I prefer a lighter version (compared to the 257).
This will fit fine. I carry a 15.6 inch non-sleek PC, sleeve, calculator, pens, power source, and and a textbook or two pretty easily.

ReversoLover

Reaction score
er I know the retail of the 257, sorry, I was just wondering if it can be found cheaper...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReversoLover
how much does a 257 cost? does Crane's still give a decent discount?

CALL them...

hymo

Reaction score
The leather used by Filson is corrected grain...
eh.gif

Anyway here's mine which I took delivery of today. It is more robustly made than I ever thought possible for a bag.

filson.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zaarin

Originally Posted by asdf
This will fit fine.

I carry a 15.6 inch non-sleek PC, sleeve, calculator, pens, power source, and and a textbook or two pretty easily.

I carry a similarly sized laptop, thin sleeve and accompanying accessories for work in a 256 as well. Things get a bit tight when I have to carry more than just a handful of files (no textbooks) but I can manage. There are very few times when I long for a bit more room (like a 257) but the 256 makes me pay attention to packing lightly.

I have a 257 as well but can count on one hand the number of times I needed to take it on a trip vs. the 256. I bought the well used 257 via ebay and it had several yrs of wear but was structurally sound. The only significant damage was a 1" length of the zipper that came unstitched. I contacted Filson to inquire about repair (at my cost) but because it had an X'd out tag, they would not repair even for a fee.

I asked them to provide me the correct dimensions/size of the zipper so I could source a replacement and have it repaired locally. Rather than provide dimensions, they simply mailed me a replacement part. It took a few months but a new zipper eventually arrived. It was a pleasant surprise and a great example of excellent customer service.

The bag still closes so I haven't yet had the repair done. Additionally, I cleaned it up with warm water & dishwashing soap and treated the dry leather bits with RM Williams Leather Conditioner and/or Obenauf LP. It cleaned up nicely, the leather came back with a nice patina and now I just need to rewax the canvas and have the zipper replaced. It was certainly $55 well spent.

Old 257:

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...2&d=1288357235

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...9&d=1288357235

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...0&d=1288357235

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads