• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

motosacto

Reaction score
Saw that. And saw the explanation, but it still makes no sense to me. Even disregarding the shoe polish association, the name just sounds cheap. The watches are in no man's land. USA made quartz watches? Who cares, they're still quartz watches.

Holding out hope that Filson continues relatively unchanged, but feeling good about the fact that I already probably have enough of their stuff to last two lifetimes.

I'm not a fan of Shinola as a brand name.

That said, they seem to be doing quite well, and they have to start somewhere. Most people who are going to buy higher end fashion watches (as opposed to true watch aficionados) are probably perfectly happy with quartz, maybe even more than they would be with mechanical movements. There does appear to be a significant market for watches in the $500+ range -- Burberry, Swiss Army, Tissot, and many others seem to move lots of product in that range.

I would like to see Shinola put out a quality mechanical watch. I would think it would be easy for them to put out a product with a Sellita SW200-1 (ETA 2824 clone) movement. My current daily wear watch is a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, a Rolex Mil Sub "homage." Cost me <$500 and was made in Europe with an ETA 2824. I would think that Shinola could produce something similar. Given the fact that Filson products harken back to "pre-electronic" days, it would seem obvious for them to partner with Shinola for such a product....

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

I would like to see Shinola put out a quality mechanical watch.   I would think it would be easy for them to put out a product with a Sellita SW200-1 (ETA 2824 clone) movement.  My current daily wear watch is a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, a Rolex Mil Sub "homage."  Cost me <$500 and was made in Europe with an ETA 2824.  I would think that Shinola could produce something similar.  Given the fact that Filson products harken back to "pre-electronic" days, it would seem obvious for them to partner with Shinola for such a product....

As I sit here wearing an RAF Omega 53, that was my first thought also. Mechanical watches would seem to fit Filson's history better, but then you put on your business hat and start to look at it a little more.

Obvious business connections to Shinola; Shinola are in partnership with Ronda - who helped set up the watchmaking facilities and train their people; basic cost of a robust mechanical movement is going to be higher than that of a quartz; mechanical being mechanical is going to be more prone to wear and tear, which equates to a need for servicing and would likely require a limited warranty; mechanical movements by their nature are going to require more skilled technicians than quartz; quartz movements are going to be cheaper and easier to repair - basically the cost of fitting a new movement.

A Filson / Bill Yao collaboration could be interesting.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny that the Shinola article mentions that they're aiming for a much lower markup on their watches than the Swiss brands, but they're selling that Bixby bike on Filson's website for $2,900.

tomatic

Reaction score
SHAMELESS (once again): If anyone reading has a Filson playing card case, pen case, draftsman weight or the FIlson/Stanley 100 year bottle carrier laying around, I will pay a premium for any of these items.

I've been looking for years - come close, but haven't obtained any of them yet.

I think I have the regular bottle carrier somewhere — interested as well?

Last edited:

nevadabob

Reaction score
No, thank you. I'm just after the limited edition one (although it seems everything FIlson releases now is limited edition).

177itch

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of used navy bags? I want to see ho the fabric fades.

motosacto

Reaction score

Does anyone have pics of used navy bags? I want to see ho the fabric fades.

I don't have any pics, but I've been carrying a Navy Filson Red Label tote bag most days for 2 years. The natural leather trim has darkened some, but the Navy canvas still looks new--no fading to speak of...

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the purchase of Filson by Bedrock - happened across the Glassdoor employee reviews for Filson the other day, and they're pretty damning. 1.4 out of 5 with nine reviews, only one of them positive. Quite a bit of commentary around the management by Bedrock. Interesting read: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/C-C-Filson-Reviews-E140898.htm

Not what I would have expected, and sad to see. I've had some great recent experiences with several individuals in their customer service area. I hope they get some better leadership in place.

wquiles

Reaction score
Wow, those are pretty bad reviews indeed. Sad indeed ...

erey512

Reaction score
After thinking I was gonna go with the 256, I ended up getting the 257 in tan with 20% off at ebags with free 2-day shipping.

After handling it in person for an extended time, here are my thoughts (most of which will not be new to those who have read this thread, but maybe for newer lurkers/posters):

- Definitely heavier than my old messenger bag; I intended to carry it by the handles 100% of the time, but even for my short walk from the parking lot to my desk, the shoulder strap will def come in handy. The weight is not necessarily a bad thing and we know that this just indicates how well made the bag is and how it will stand the test of time

- It is large. I debated 256 vs 257 for the longest time and for my general needs as a work bag, the 256 would likely do, but since I treated this as an investment piece, I wanted to make sure I got the most bang for my buck. I know that others have suggested the internal dividers and pockets may limit the bags packability, but I foresee me using this bag as my small carry-on instead of the usual North Face backpack that I've been using. The pockets definitely encroach upon the main middle compartment, but I use packing cubes and 1 large packing cube will easily fit in this compartment. The smaller pockets facing the middle compartment won't be as functional, but the other dividers will still be accessible as well as the outside pockets.

- The tan is a shade darker than some product pages would indicate, but I knew this from seeing other posters' pictures as well as handling one in person. At first, I actually didn't really like the color and regretted not going with otter green, but after using it at work these past couple of days, I LOVE the color and can't wait for years of usage to create the patina all of us are after.

- Everything about the bag is stiff, but again, I knew this would be the case thanks to everyone's posts. The handgrip has been a tad bit tricky to button up due to this stiffness, but it is improving just in the few days I've had the bag. I don't have any HDLP, so I used my Saphir Renovateur on the leather. I believe the HDLP is more appropriate for heavy duty leathers such as this bridle leather, but I'm cheap and likely will just continue using what I have until it's gone. If anyone has compared the two on this bag, your thoughts are much appreciated.

- I have no regrets on this purchase. Yes, it's pricey for a work bag that I didn't really need. Definitely a luxury purchase for me personally. But for those who absolutely need a bag such as this for your day to day activities, I would look no further. I find myself missing the bag when it's not with me. Sad? Yes, but that's how much I love this bag. Please don't tell me wife.

I hope to post some follow up pictures in the future to show how its breaking in.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Use a hammer to soften up the leather, then roll and twist it in your hands until they're sore. You won't hurt the leather one bit.

rpiotr01

Reaction score
Very sad to read those reviews but makes sense. Knew something was up when they started to discontinue a lot of the tried and true workwear and replace it with slimmer/ more fashionable models. Really regret not purchasing a pair of their USA made chukka boots a couple years ago when I had the chance...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filson Tote bag came in the mail today. Steep discount from The Clymb.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
haaa cool, just bought that one too. I did the blue one with beige wraparound and green pockets (I think that's the configuration)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads