1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. nevadabob

nevadabob Well-Known Member

If you read the descriptions and watch the videos, they ARE NOT generally one single bag that has been used for decades, restored and then sold at a high price.

They are made from many old bags that have been torn apart, then stitched back together into something new. From many pieces comes one.

Examples: The tote bag (I can't find it online anymore) had two ridiculous vertical stitch marks running almost the entire height of the bag. This leads me to believe that the sides of this tote bag were once the bottom of a duffle bag. The leather was removed, the cloth reinforced and then stitched together to form a new product.

This also explains the new zippers on "old" products.

Another example is the >$500 medium duffle. Are we really supposed to believe that the shoulder strap gained that much wear while the rest of the leather remained nearly pristine?

2. nevadabob

nevadabob Well-Known Member

Genuine. No doubt.

3. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

That is craziness, from a business perspective and explains the high cost = labour intensive.

4. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Well-Known Member

Hi, a big request to the Filson Medium Duffle and Pullman-owners: could you take a picture of all the clothes and stuff you are able to pack into the bags and post it here? A kind of packing list would be great, too, just to get a better idea of how many days worth of clothes fit into the bags. Thanks in advance!

5. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Well-Known Member

I would suggest the sportsman.

I like this bag because I find it has sufficient space for gym clothes and shoes, and separate compartments so that your lunch doesn't have to ride shotgun next to a pair of sweaty socks. I do note that my older bag looks different than the current model and that the pockets on the ends don't appear to be as capacious on the new bag. Still, it may be a good choice for what you want. Good luck.

6. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Would be nice, but they probably don't have much info for the majority - but info around year of production and whatnot would be interesting.

Good point, and I'm sure it's necessary in some cases, but kind of a shame to lose the original hardware. I'd think it'd be the teeth that'd tend to wear out rather than the pull, but I'm not a zipper expert :) I know they still use the same zippers, just with the Filson logo, so presumably they could sew new teeth in and still use the original pull (if it's in good shape).

Emphasis mine. The way they sewed the labels on all those bags looks awful. At least they're using the old version of the labels, but really - was the label worn out on every bag?

Interesting; I'll have to watch when I get a chance. Guess that explains this one: http://www.filson.com/products/rest...son-restoration-department&fmetaProduct=cc15/ I was surprised to see that sort of mixed color way on an older bag.

If they wanted to do this sort of thing, I'm surprised they had to go to the effort of patching together bags.

7. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

I've got the 256 and generally carry a laptop, some papers, a small umbrella, a sunglasses case, and a small bag about the same size as the small umbrella. I'm sure you've seen, but there are also some compartments for pens, phone, business cards, etc.

For your everyday use, I think the 257 would be overkill. I've considered buying the 258 for when I travel, but haven't pulled the trigger.

8. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. Also just spent a good amount of time reading through this thread and other resources comparing the 2 - I ended up going with the 257 after checking out the 256 at my local Steven Alan store.

256 ran slightly small for my needs - the 15" MacBook Pro did indeed fit in the side compartment, freeing up the main compartment - but even for my daily use I think I'd like the flexibility of having more space than the 256 offers (throwing in a change of clothes for gym/overnighter/whatever), and also additional upside of using it as a travel carry-on.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. boned

boned Well-Known Member

Has anyone done any mods to their bags? Just snagged a murdered out black rucksack and am already thinking of the possibilities: Inner pockets, water bottle holder, shoulder pads, etc.

10. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.... just another day out and about with my F+M Field Camera Bag. It's seen some rain, snow and has pretty much been stuck to my side wherever I end up going. So far so good.

[​IMG]

Trying to get things like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

The snow seems to have turned the OG bag you started out with to more of a tan colour :D

How's it doing as a working camera bag ?

I like the big mouth to the bag, but would like to see it have slightly larger dimensions for my needs.

Nice sky shots. A lot of people shy away from pointing a lens at the sun for fear of flare, circles and other potentially bad things, but you can get some nice results and in these days of digital and post processing there is really nothing to lose.

1 person likes this.
  12. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

LOL! Yeah, we were supposed to get a tan and otter at the same time. The tan (my bag) ended up back ordered for a month.

It's working out very well as my primary working bag. Currently it's loaded up with an A77 with lens attached, a Minolta SRT 102 with lens attached, two lenses, a prime for the film camera and mid range tele for the A77. Several rolls of film, spare memory cards and spare battery live in one front pocket. a notebook and pen in the other. I've swapped things around to see if I could get away with it for a wedding shoot. Two digital bodies, 16-50 and 70-210 lenses, the flash, lots of batteries and charger, spare cards and so on are accommodated easily with just a little thought. If you keep things toned down to what you actually need for most situations it'll work.

Any halfway decent modern lens can handle sky shots all day long without much issue. The biggest thing is don't point the camera at the sun without making sure you don't have it set to something dumb like ISO 3200 with the lens wide open and a slow shutter. The sensor doesn't like that very much. All of those shots above have almost no post work done to them. For the most part my post processing consists of nothing more than a histogram tweak to clean up the mud. I'm a firm believer in the less post involved the better off you are.

Now my old film lenses? Yeah they flare and do all kinds of odd stuff in weird light but that's OK too. I like lens flare as long as it doesn't completely torch out my main subject.

13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Initially posted this in the "Official" Filson thread but thought it might be better off here. Sorry it's not bag related...

Kind of interested in the down cruiser jacket. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried one on and is able to share an opinion on the fit? I'm thinking boxy? Any places to get a good deal on one over the forthcoming turkey holiday? Any real-life pics out there?

14. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Gah, I am such a bag whore. Just grabbed one of these - we'll see how it compares to a medium field bag + insert.

Great pics.

15. Therossinator

Therossinator Active Member

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Filson is on sale at Mr. Porter. 30% off everything including the exclusive Leather-trimmed twill backpack. I just bought one in each color.

Only $301 a piece, down from $430.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    https://www.mrporter.com/mens/designers/filson

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Please don't buy them all before I can put my order one T_T

17. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen any black friday deals on the large briefcase (not padded) in navy?

18. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

Kinda disappointed Filson is not running a sale on their luggage/briefcases.

19. danielyam

danielyam Well-Known Member

i don't see any discount reductions upon checkout. do i have to key in any discount coupon code?

20. hpw

hpw Member

[quote name="danielyam" i don't see any discount reductions upon checkout. do i have to key in any discount coupon code?
    [/quote]

You have to go through the checkout process all the way to the screen where you enter your credit card info before it will reflect the discounted price, but items that qualify for the 30% off show as such from the product pages.

For others looking for a tan 256 briefcase on sale, I came across this 20% off sale tonight. Ends Monday, so act fast. They also have assorted Filson Dopp kits and the tin duffel bags in medium and small (also tan). Not a lot of color selections. Code is Fellow20.

www.fellowbarber.com