1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the internet nanny state. Please leave all sense of irony and common sense at the border. Thank you and please enjoy your stay.

2. HarrisonTran

HarrisonTran Active Member

Wow that 70112 would be the perfect thing I'm looking for however just like you said, I like the brass and leather and the lack of it is a major con. I'm sure the bag is also made to last but it wouldn't fit my collection the way I want it. Thank you for looking into it for me.

3. milw50717

Don't get hung up solely on the look. Look at the functionality and form together.Does it do what you want it to do ?

I also like the traditional materials, but as I was composing the previous reply I was thinking that it was a really nice functional bag that looks pretty damn good. Certainly better all the plastic messenger bags out there. Give it some time it may grow on you.

4. HarrisonTran

HarrisonTran Active Member

You make valid points there, I am definitely keeping this on my wish list and see how I feel about it later.

5. milw50717

Depends upon where you are located in the world.

Isn't there a vendor who posts in this very thread who advises people to 'pick up the phone' ?

Other than that keep an eye out for sales and coupons.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  6. milw50717

I think a bag in black has my name on it eventually, but the truth be told I need another Filson bag like California needs another coffee shop.

[​IMG]

7. iDoc

iDoc Well-Known Member

Located in the US. I know the affiliate to which you're referring. However, I don't see the 232 available on their website, much less in navy. Perhaps still worth a call though.

8. milw50717

Yes, it gets better with age.

Personally, I apply as much leather conditioner - I use Lexol as it leaves a nice dry finish - as the strap and pad will take, load up the bag a little and then leave over a chair back.

9. milw50717

I would say so as they will be able to order them from Filson directly.

10. tomatic

tomatic Well-Known Member

11. milw50717

12. milw50717

Anyone know the dimensions of the new 72 hr briefcase ?

[​IMG]

Looks like a 256 with pockets thrown onto the front. If it has the same amount of padding as the 258 how much room is left in there ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  13. gyroteon

gyroteon New Member

How does everyone carry their straps for their 256/257? I usually carry it as a briefcase between classes. However, walking home, etc I like to use the shoulder straps since I won't be putting it down soon. I don't want to remove them and stow them inside since I would like to have them relatively accessible. Currently, I have it tucked into the front side pocket even though it makes the bag look odd.

Also, is anyone else'a bag shaped like a trapezoid? I almost never completely fill my 257 and the top part is always compressed due to using the hand straps. The bottom however stays completely expanded.

14. JTrent82

JTrent82 Member

I'm thinking about picking up a 256 or 257, but there are no retailers nearby that I know of, so I'll have to order it sight unseen. I carry around a water bottle all the time. Can I keep a water bottle in one of the "2 small exterior end utility pockets" of the Filson? I have a 1L Camelbak Eddy now, but I can downsize to a .75L or something. Thanks!

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

PSA: I have a tan 257 from the BB sale. $225 if anyone wants it or I will return to BB. It's a great deal I would love to see someone get

16. milw50717

I just used a 500ml Kirkland (Costco) thin walled plastic bottle of water with an approximate diameter of 2.5". It will fit into the pockets of the 258 and 257, but not the 256.

17. milw50717

Either in the front pocket or inside the bag depending upon how much free space there is available.

Trapezoid. No. Are you sure you are packing the bag correctly ?

FWIW I do use such things as packing cubes (Eagle Creek pack-it) and old crampon bags to organise things within my bags which will also help the bag keep shape.

18. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

+1

Been using them for years now, and not only in my briefcase, but also in my carry-on luggage.

19. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Nice deal indeed. If it was a 256 you were selling at a similar discount, I'd probably take it off your hands.

20. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Well-Known Member

I just put the shoulder strap in between the two hand straps.