1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. scrolls

scrolls Well-Known Member

Just got my 256 and am in love. This thing is roomier than I expected, really glad I chose this over the 257 (and thanks to those ITT who answered my questions).

Anyone recommend using some type of protecting spray on the fabric or is that unnecessary?

2. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

No strictly necessary, but 3M scotchguard can help protect the fabric. Ultimately the fabric will stain and fade with use and time.

Leather can be treated with Lexol, Obenaufs, etc. Remember to cover the fabric when doing so.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. milw50717

The All Season Raincoat is a nice bit of kit. A great light weight classic jacket that is nice to wear when the tin cloth jackets are too heavy or the rain & wind not too hard.

[​IMG]

Go get 'em Floyd.

4. milw50717

5. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Newman Marcus display.
    Btw, Shinola is owned by the same company that owns Filson.

[​IMG]

6. milw50717

It is the price tags that make me speechless. Complete disregard for the value of money.

1 person likes this.
  7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I've had the raincoat since 2009. Mine is a little different because they used thicker blue 8.5oz shelter cloth (left over from their collaboration with Urban Outfitters Tote/duffle bags). The regular raincoats are made of the 6oz cover cloth.

[​IMG]

The jacket is great because if you layer right (like a down vest) it can be a winter jacket as well. I've had it re-waxed twice since. I used New England Reproofers both times (they were great and local for those in the North East).

I'm really tempted to go with the regular, lighter, version while the price is great right now.

8. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the info on WConcept

9. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

The $1900 for the non Filson version of that bike is about what I'd expect. Frame is from the guy behind Waterford bikes. Low volume US made steel frames cost.
    Not sure I see $1000 worth of upgrades for the Filson version though.

10. milw50717

As I sit here repairing an Olympus OM-1N I can assure you a bicycle + hangy-off bits should not cost $3K.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

I stumbled across that AEV yesterday too when I was looking for the custom ordering page at Filson. If you type custom in search that AEV is the first thing to show up. I finally found the custom order page and at the top they say they no longer offer custom orders, bummer.

$130K for a 6 cyl. gas engine and then there is the tranny. I went through 2 trannies plus a rebuild on my Dodge, never again although at one time I was "Mopar or no car". I thought the Ford Raptor was over the top at 60K although if it had a diesel I would certainly have considered it.

Reason I was looking for the custom page was to get a hood for my weekender coat that I purchased before hoods were an option on them. For a couple of years I have gone back and forth between the raincoat and foothills parka. The foothills is no longer offered so that is an easier choice at this point. But owning the weekender already hard for me to justify the raincoat now. The weekender is what many call a 3 week jacket in Mn. it is only effective about 3 weeks of the year. In Jan. it averages 20 degrees colder per day here than in Upstate NY where some of my family lives. Would be a great coat once I retire and move back to NC however in addition to the weekender. At the same time the Filson sale email came in so did the Bean one which I wanted to check out first. But you guys just had to mention the Filson raincoat so like a moth drawn to a flame I had to check it out once more. And I did end up getting a sweater for half price, thanks [​IMG]

12. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

It's waxed twill. You reproof it just like the waxed tin cloth jackets. It's a chore but well worth the effort.

13. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I agree that one shouldn't cost $3K.
    But "Expensive" means different things to different people.
    You should go price out high end bicycles.

14. LawrenceMD

the jeep is wicked overpriced, but the bike isn't as overpriced as you'd think.

as was mentioned the shinola version of the bike (without the two bags and racks is $1950).

remember bicycle enthusiast/collectors are just as religious as photography freaks. there are certainly value purchases you can find on eBay/Craigslists, but there are some willing to pay a premium (Hello Leica enthusiasts) for brands which are sometimes just rebranded (HELLO PANA-LEICA).

But in this case your paying for the equivalent of the german made Leica stuff (since the bike frame was welded/painted, and bike itself was assembled (even the saddle) here in the USA). add to that the custom filson bags which were USA made too.

for every sony and cannon point and shoot camera you have people paying good money for a Leica X-Vario.

or you have guys paying $20,000 for a Hassalbad i can show you people paying $5,000 for a typical commuter bike from Rivendell.

here's the breakdown:

the frame is american made, from a pretty high quality (not exotic and super light weight, but more durable since its a commuter bike) from waterford bicycles. usual frames from that company (which was started from original schwinn employees back when schwinns were actually made in the USA) can run near $2000 for the frames alone. $2000 for that shinola bike sounds like a lot to non-bike enthusiasts but falls in line to what is being offered.

sure you can buy an inexpensive alternative (thats made in taiwan* or china) but just like buying a $75 coat from old navy compared to maybe a $350 coat from filson there are reasons for the price difference.

now with the $2000, you have the filson paint scheme, two racks (front and back which if they are high quality racks can run easily over $100 each), and two custom filson bags (back saddle/panniers and front tote bag). Lets figure $350 for the rear rack panniers and then $175 for the front tote bag), and bamboo fenders (which probably run near $90 which i wont count anyway since the original shinola actually comes with aluminum fenders).

so you have two racks $200, two custom filson panniers $350, Filson front rack bag $175 so about $725 more worth of items on the bike compared to the original shinola. now you have to figure the cost of painting it in the filson color-way which will be in low volume compared to the two colors offered by shinola. custom paint schemes are at least $200 and can go even higher.

now thats around $925 more. not that much more.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. LawrenceMD

*taiwan has actually evolved when it comes to bike manufacturing for the last 30 years. before it was a center of bike mass production, and still is, but now even super duper high end carbon fiber bikes from italian brands like Colnago produce a number of their flagship models in Taiwan.

16. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

Would you say waxing it is better than using something like Scotchgard?

And what about just doing nothing at all to the fabric?

17. milw50717

Thanks all for the quick education on over-priced US made sit up and beg bikes. I have lived and I have learnt.

18. LawrenceMD

^yikes! at least we know how you value USA bike manufacturers/laborers.

Enjoy the holidays. Also someone in a small camera shop india/china/south east asia/ect. can probably fix an Olympus OM-1N for less than a $1 and hour. But I also have the option to have it fixed locally at a small camera shop in NYC as well.

19. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I've never understood how some one can be an enthusiast of one class of arguably overpriced good then turn around and shit on another class of overpriced goods because it's not one of the class of overpriced things he likes.

6 people like this.
  20. poena

poena Well-Known Member

after ordering from wconcept did you actually get an email? It's been an hour for me and no email.