• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dmass1

Reaction score
Anyone use the medium duffle as a carry on bag when flying? I know it's just outside of the official size limit, but given that it's a duffle bag and collapses a bit I'm wondering if its allowed. Have a trip coming up and will be purchasing a medium duffle...

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone use the medium duffle as a carry on bag when flying? I know it's just outside of the official size limit, but given that it's a duffle bag and collapses a bit I'm wondering if its allowed. Have a trip coming up and will be purchasing a medium duffle...

It works. Done it many times. Even though its dimensions are outside of the max limit, unless you fill it to the brim it'll compress in an overhead. Not once have I ever been questioned.

Last edited:

dmass1

Reaction score
Thanks - I figured that would be the case.

On a sidenote, do you find the medium duffle to be too big? I haven't seen it in person, but sort of wavering between medium and small. I'm sure the medium will work for my trips of 4-5 days or longer, but is it overkill for a weekend getaway?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its overkill for me for a weekend trip. Especially in summer when it's lighter weight clothes. You can pack a ton of **** in there.

ChadHahn

Reaction score
I've been noticing the Filson briefcase on TV lately. First on the TV show Hannibal, the character Will Graham has a nicely beat up briefcase. Last night I saw one on the new Wendy's commercial being sported by a food blogger.

Chad

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - I figured that would be the case.

On a sidenote, do you find the medium duffle to be too big? I haven't seen it in person, but sort of wavering between medium and small. I'm sure the medium will work for my trips of 4-5 days or longer, but is it overkill for a weekend getaway?

Medium duffle can easily do a month long trip if you can pack properly. Small is good for weekend and even 4-5 days

Reaction score
Does anyone own the Filson 22" rolling carry on? I have the small briefcase, the med field bag that I use for the camera and its accessories and the sportsman which I use for gym and other such pursuits. I travel frequently and am soon to be looking for a new bag. I am especially interested to see if anyone has packed a suit in it and how it stands up to being checked for flights?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Medium duffle can easily do a month long trip if you can pack properly. Small is good for weekend and even 4-5 days

Jesus. A month? Did you do laundry a few during this trip.

calidist

Reaction score
I've been noticing the Filson briefcase on TV lately. First on the TV show Hannibal, the character Will Graham has a nicely beat up briefcase. Last night I saw one on the new Wendy's commercial being sported by a food blogger.

Chad

My wife was not particularly impressed when I proclaimed "Hey -- That's my new bag" when I saw this commercial.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really want to see some real life pics of a 256 in navy. im tempted to sell off my tan one for it. :slayer::slayer:

kdga

Reaction score
My navy 256 arrived today. Looks great. Will try to get some decent photos up on Monday.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jesus. A month? Did you do laundry a few during this trip.

Once or twice. I mean one pair of raw denim and one pair selvedge chinos, three pairs of shoes + trees, 4-5 shirts, 14x boxers and socks and a blazer. Backpack holds chargers and camera.

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just ordered a brown 256 with loose hand grip from crane's. filson isn`t doing any installs until mid-may I was told.

thanks for the hookup :slayer:

Last edited:

converge

Reaction score

just ordered a brown 256 with loose hand grip from crane's. filson isn`t doing any installs until mid-may I was told.

thanks for the hookup :slayer:

I just received my 256 back from Filson, which I had sent four weeks earlier for a handgrip install.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads