1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Well-Known Member

I get the impression that Filson customer service reads these posts?

2. movoblast

movoblast Well-Known Member

I'm pretty excited to receive my Filson rugsack in otter green. I'm waitlisted by brooks brothers with an expected ship date sometime in February, which is actually good in my case because it will give me a chance to recover from my recent black friday splurging.

I absolutely love the otter green color but my only qualm about the color is that it might be too close in color with my newly acquired sage barbour bedale. I absolutely love that jacket and I've been wearing it every other day since purchasing it.

http://themidwestyle.blogspot.com/2011/12/midwestyle-renegade.html
    That guy is wearing a sage or olive barbour with an otter green filson. Does it look funny since they are too close in color? I see people with black outerwear with black bags, and blue outerwear with blue bags. I thought why would green be any different? I considered the tan but I like the otter green color so much more.

3. Naive Jr.

Relax - I have a tan, and I recognize beauty in your favorite color otter green, too. Your Barbour Bedale is green, too, and that pleases you. Green is beautiful. If I were you, I wouldn't miss the contrast and harmony of both greens. If you really can't enjoy both greens, try to wear other colors besides your two greens. You just don't wear your Barbour and bear a backsack! The problem you have is what's the rest of your outfit - you need to activate phantasy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. BluePlateKing

BluePlateKing Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it, will look good

5. arashi

arashi New Member

i want a 256 really bad... =\

6. hkpm

hkpm Well-Known Member

Trust me, the Filson's otter green fades quickly. You could notice the color difference between the coat and rugsack in a couple of months.

7. click here

click here Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever seen a Filson black or navy duffle bag on sale?

[​IMG]

Where can I find one?

8. movoblast

movoblast Well-Known Member

Haha thanks for your input guys, you guys are great! Pretty excited for my rugsack. I use a northface backpack for school but that is because I am still taking my preclinical classes. I hit the clinics next year where we are expected to look more professional. I don't like the strain that messenger bags place on just one shoulder, and all my old messenger baags are sitting in the closet, so I thought I'd give the filson rugsack a try. Pretty excited! I guess I'll be posting in this forum a lot more in a couple months when the rugsack arrives.

9. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

There hasn't been any verification that they do.

I have a sage Beaufort and it is a darker green than the Filson otter green. I have no issue carrying my otter green 256 with my sage Beaufort.

10. Naive Jr.

Dear Churchhill W,

I saw that this website has another thread, an official Filson thread. I have made the experience that if a clothing establishment or clothing maker is mentioned he posts. The reason I have the impression Filson customer service reads these posts is because after I described my problem here, the Filson representative, after weeks of silence, suddenly mailed me an apology. I cannot say this Filson customer service representative doesn't sound polite, but for whatever reasons as far as commitment to cost estimate of repair, and even repair
    itself was always evasive. He still hasn't clarified if the gaurantee will cover repair or not. I mean I consider quite fair to say, as much as he is a master of saying nice phrases, no less does he evade any commitment. HE introduced the gaurantee, not me. When I asked him if my bag is covered: no answer. When he got the photographs of my rucksack, still not a word of practical nature. No cost estimate, but he told me to send the bag to the Filson repair address! Or "get it fixed locally". I had to ask him repeatedly to send the photographs of my rucksack to the persons who do repair, and he lets me wait, although - get this: he, the Filson rep, writes ME "don't hesitate to write", after he finally answers me and tells me he has sent the photographs to the repair shop! Does that sound strange to you?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  11. nevadabob

nevadabob Well-Known Member

Yes, the whole paragraph is very strange.

12. Naive Jr.

Do you work for Filson?

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

You have to give him some leeway. He's obviously not a native English speaker.

14. Naive Jr.

Dear Churchhill W,

I give persons like you who give their address as New York leeway, too, when I hear other persons from other places in North America complain about the presumptuous attitude. Give Nevadabob a chance to answer if he works for Filson, whose customer service had the bag model 262(?) the same which I wrote Filson customer service about repair because its bottom is falling apart - with another model of small carry-on (but larger than the rucksack) to my aquaintance who received both Filson bags delivered (maybe by Nevadabob's relative?) to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, where he was on vacation. I couldn't afford Filson's fee for shipping to Europe. Please do say hello for me, Churchhill W, next time you walk the streets of Big Apple to all those human beings who beg for change in Manhattan, - I had the privilege to meet a few anytime if day or night when I went out my door on 113 th between B'way and A'dam. Sorry but the miniscule format of this cell phone makes typing tricky and my agenda awaits - I 'm waiting again for an answer patiently after complying with Filson customer service representative's strange "don't hesitate to write", when in fact I was waiting and am stilling waiting for an answer for my inquiry about repair of my rucksack from him and his Filson repair service Nevadabob?

PS: What makes the last thing I've heard from the Filson customer service representative's "don't hesitate to write" more than strange is how he never sent me the email address of the Filson repair workshop. I couldn't send the photos of the bag directly to the persons who do the repair. And after waiting in vain for his response, I wrote to the Filson customer service asking for help because their representative does not cooperate after I sent him photographs to facilitate judgment, the same person replied later with "don't hesitate to write".

15. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a tan 257 from a forum member. Paid what I consider to be a decent price for a mint bag, $210. Anyway, my wife found the Paypal invoice and challenged me as to how that bag could possibly be worth that much money. For her, it's just a canvas bag. I was at a loss, for I don't think I can explain the bag's appeal, nor does my views on quality and sourcing mean much to her. To me, it's not just a canvas bag. It's a thing of beauty, and an object of quality. Not to say that no machines were involved or anything like that, but the priority here is quality, not economy. It will last, too. Plus, the fact of the matter is that I cannot afford any of the leather briefcases that I consider worth owning.

Sigh.

1 person likes this.
  16. Naive Jr.

I presume the Filson workers consider their situation fair. I concede I have made no inquiries how Filson treats their workers.
    Nor have I investigated the conditions under which the materials used to make Filson luggage are produced.

You and your wife need help from a third person who knows how to advise couples about how to come to an agreement how to deal with quarrels about money.
    That's the problem that will arise in various contexts.

Presumably, your Filson bag is made in America, where workers have more legal rights than in other countries. By buying Filson bags made in the US, you do not exploit nor do you help exploit human beings in more inhuman societies. Your wife does not concern herself with the human beings who make the bag, their wives and their children - anywhere. You can't expect aesthetic judgment for the design of the Filson bag to awake overnight in an adult, but you can expect clarity in regard to the economic conditions. You can be thankful to your wife that she indirectly shows you that you don't understand human economics. It is sad, indeed tragic your address appears to be the city founded for legislation and jurisdiction of a nation governed by the people and for the people, where you should know better.

PS: Although I buy elsewhere, Brooks Brothers sends me announcements by email, one of which I just opened and saw the mysterious CA Transparency - has your spouse ever heard of the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act of 2010, or is she in favor of slavery and human trafficking, or does she imagine it's imaginary, or she couldn't care less?

17. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

:puzzled:

I don't think DC Office Hack's post had anything whatsoever to do with workers' rights or how Filson treats their employees, yet you managed to turn it into a discussion about said topics. I think it's time for Naive, Jr. to step out of this thread. Seriously, your posts make no sense.

18. Naive Jr.

Sorry, Flyswatter, but you better read the posts more carefully (and "step INTO this thread" in your thinking). The husband (who calls himself Office Hack - an office is where people WORK) likes Filson, but his wife considers the price too high - she can read the PRICE! The price is higher than where WORKers are exploited. Or don't you care? Maybe you are just pretending not to understand? No flies to swat, so you swat me? Please report me to the Style Forum administration - I'd like to know whose post violates decorum. I think you are a troll in masquerade.

PS: Were you too late to get my postscript about Brooks Brothers' declaration in regard to the California Transparency Act, Flyswatter, or did you omit it because you think it's not serious? Even Santa Claus has to WORK to bring and jump down the chimney in your living room and put all those presents for you under the tree - maybe he dreams of a Filson, but can't afford it because you drank and ate the milk and cookies your parents left for him, so he had to spend his meager allowance on a Big Veg, don't forget his reindeer are grown up, too, so their parents don't feed them. Santa has to share his Big Veg with how many reindeer?

19. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

20. Naive Jr.

We all hope for Flyswatter that Santa Claus soon puts under the Christmas tree the Filson bag Flyswatter needs to bear such agitating burden of destiny. May Flyswatter feel the certainty to know our hearts bleed to know he suffers such agony - as Filson's most recent email title aptly expresses the situation about a gift for the outsider.
    Now back to the topic of the thread. When I understand how and have whatever technical means to do it, I would like to put the three photographs of my Filson rucksack I purchased in 2008 here, which I sent as email attachment to the Filson customer service to facilitate evaluation for repair. The canvas along the lower edges of the canvas rectangular enclosure for the bottom of the leather back straps has frayed, the leather within is visible because the canvas is split open on both ends. Along the bottom seam the canvas is worn through, on one side forming a hole now as large as the width of the leather straps. This wearing out of the canvas is visible on the lower side of the lowest horizontal seam on the back side of the rucksack.