• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vinnynyc72

Reaction score
Anyone seen this in person:
Tin Cloth Original Briefcase?

I just got mine. I like how it looks. Sure, it won't develop the coveted patina look that a lot of people like, but it's understated and stylish in my opinion. The brass color of the zipper and metal d ring straps add just a little bit a contrast to keep things interesting. I agree with the other posters that a black leather strap would make it much better, so I'm thinking of ordering one from filson.

Brooks

Reaction score

I have a couple 256s (one in OG and one in Tan). I actually use the OG the majority of the time. Sell the 257 and perhaps give the 256 in OG a couple weeks of use to see if the color grows on you. I find the OG to be a little more subtle and much more resistant to dirt.

Regardless of which color you end up with, congratulations in advance:)

I actually ended up choosing to keep the 257. I tried filling both up with my everyday items the 256 just had little bit of extra room for a few small books. After seeing this I figured it would be best for me the have the 257 for practicality even though I must prefer (as you said) the subtlety of the 256 which in my opinion is aesthetically more pleasing.

Brooks, if you lived in Vancouver, I would trade your OG for my tan :)

I'm in Richmond. I decided I would only keep one of the bags so I'll be selling off the OG 256. PM me if you're interested :)

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got mine. I like how it looks. Sure, it won't develop the coveted patina look that a lot of people like, but it's understated and stylish in my opinion. The brass color of the zipper and metal d ring straps add just a little bit a contrast to keep things interesting. I agree with the other posters that a black leather strap would make it much better, so I'm thinking of ordering one from filson.

Note what I mentioned above regarding the leather straps and oil from the tin cloth. Not sure if it will be an issue for you, but good to know why Filson did not go with a leather strap.

^looks nice.

More pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151185137493801.451795.121748723800&type=1

Last edited:

quuz

Reaction score
I had one but ended up returning it. The canvas doesnt feel as strong or durable as the filson, and for the price of a mismo I would have expected more. On the other hand, all their bags look amazing

Last edited by a moderator:

brunost

Reaction score
My one year old filson bag is a little distressed. As you can see, it has "denim stains". I'm not sure if you can see it in the pictures, but i t is slightly darker (almost bown) than when it was new

FENWAY

Reaction score
PSA: Ordered a couple bags from Sportco.com 25% off with free shipping. Looking forward to the tin cloth backpack!

Last edited:

Mujib

Reaction score

The rep there told me that they didn't use leather on the tin cloth 256 because they were worried about the oil getting on the strap and transferring to the user's clothes.

The oil doesn't transfer directly to the user's clothes? And what about the other leather on the bag?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA: Ordered a couple bags from Sportco.com 25% off with free shipping. Looking forward to the tin cloth backpack! Sorry if sale already mentioned

Thanks for the PSA. Saw it yesterday and looks pretty cool and I'm sure it's going to patina great because of the tin cloth.

milw50717

Reaction score

It'll get wabi-sabi instead of patina!

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Filson Zippered Tote in Otter Green is one of my favorites...it is such a versatile bag. I also really like that medium Travel Bag. It is the only carry-on bag I own that I never have to worry about. It can take anything I throw at it.

Did my first trip with the Filson Tote...worked perfectly for the "free" item on Spirit airlines, so it was my only bag for 3 days in Vegas. Fit 2 pair of size 13 loafers, two button ups, 4 t-shirts (mainly dri-fit type), long sleeve workout shirt, 2 pairs of workout pants (was there for the half marathon), socks/etc, ipad, jawbone jambox, digital camera, and a few other random things....was shocked it all fit in there but I was able to get it in there and the best thing is the bag fit under the space in the seat in front of me perfectly.

I did use a little zippered pouch with an attachment to hook on one of the side pockets, where I kept my chargers, etc. pretty sure this is going to be my go-to "personal item" from now on for travelling.

daghoi

Reaction score
PSA: Ordered a couple bags from Sportco.com 25% off with free shipping. Looking forward to the tin cloth backpack!

Thanks for the head's up about the Sportco discount, just what I was looking for. Ordered a 70256 OG as a Christmas gift to myself. Has it shipped to relatives in US, they will bring it back to me in Norway just in time to christmas. So it is more than two weeks before I can lay my hands on it. Guess waiting is part of the joy :)

Soylent Green

Reaction score
Today only, Filson bags are 40 percent off at Brooks Brothers. I was surprised to see Filson products included in the sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads