• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

using my 257 quite a bit on this trip
I was wondering if anyone had issues with the shoulder strap sliding off your shoulder? The shoulder strap pad is just a but too slick on the bottom side. Anyone try anything to get a bit more grip with it?

I took a piece of large grain sandpaper and just did a single swipe across, and then again to create a crosshatch pattern in the leather; that helped the get some grip, because otherwise as you've said it slips off too easily.

However, I should warn you that carrying these sorts of heavy things on your shoulder isn't recommended. My right shoulder can handle the weight a lot better than my left, which means I have more muscle on that side. It can also mess up your back.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a piece of large grain sandpaper and just did a single swipe across, and then again to create a crosshatch pattern in the leather; that helped the get some grip, because otherwise as you've said it slips off too easily.
This. I do it to all the pads on the straps of my Filson bags.

Posted a quick how to back last year in here. I sand the whole thing but avoid the stitching. It works very well. I also hang them when I first get them at night with heavy ceramic tiles in them from a hook for the first couple of weeks. It helps put a curved set in the strap and pad.

Brooks

Reaction score
Can anyone post pictures of their 232 medium field bags? I went through the thread and there aren't many pictures of them. I'm considering getting one of these and would love to see what yours looks like.

milw50717

Reaction score

Can anyone post pictures of their 232 medium field bags? I went through the thread and there aren't many pictures of them. I'm considering getting one of these and would love to see what yours looks like.

Some images from da web

b79399084-ac-7047xf7x0600x0466-m.jpg

b79399084-ac-7275xf7x0600x0450-m.jpg

b79399084-ac-0268xf7x0600x0451-m.jpg

e67849157-ac-3031xf4x0600x0587-m.jpg

e67849157-ac-3347xf4x0526x0600-m.jpg

Brooks

Reaction score
Thanks mil. After talking to Crane's and seeing these pictures I realize I need the small field bag but I want the medium one. I'm considering if I should just get both... :)

milw50717

Reaction score

Thanks mil. After talking to Crane's and seeing these pictures I realize I need the small field bag but I want the medium one. I'm considering if I should just get both... :)

Always size up :)

You'll always find additional things to put in the bag.

rkusmant

Reaction score
Go to filsonfan.com for more reviews.
There's field bag vs carry on discussion.

Brooks

Reaction score

Always size up :)
You'll always find additional things to put in the bag.

That's what I keep hearing! :)

I also know myself that i will at times need a bigger bag. The thing I'm concerned about the medium are the times when I'm not carrying so much stuff. I don't want to be carrying such a big bag for only a wallet, phone, keys and some small notebooks.

Brooks

Reaction score

Go to filsonfan.com for more reviews.
There's field bag vs carry on discussion.

I just went there and the very first thing on the page is: Review: Filson Field Bag 232

Is this a sign that I should buy one? :D

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those who sent 256s back to the factory to install handgrips, about how long did it take to do?

I sent mine back and it was received there on the 7th and I got it back today, so exactly 2 weeks. They told me it would be as long as up to a month but I think they say that to lower expectations. Really glad I went with brown and the 256 vs. the 257. I have a larger bag so I didn't need extra room. Now that I have it I can say the leather grip is a must.

jasonleb1

Reaction score
Well, I got the 30% off coupon but it doesn't apply to the Levis Trucker.
ffffuuuu.gif

Brooks

Reaction score
30% is pretty sweet. As far as I can tell Joe's is doing 20%

Brooks

Reaction score
Thanks for the link mil. I was hoping it was going to apply to the 232 but sadly, no. Still sounds like a great deal though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads