1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

Bought the small duffle. Adequate for daily gym needs. But Might be a big small for anything more than an overnight trip. It's lighter than a 257 (less fabric overall due to having no compartments). If this bag is too heavy for you, you're probably just weak as the women on "the walking dead".

2. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

I use the medium duffle all the time, weight is a bit too much but function and durability is more important for me in bags. Find it perfect for asia, over the shoulder means no issues with crowds, easy to toss into cabs and stuff like that. Again depends on what you prefer i guess. And my 257 is way heavier than the porter bag I was debating but ended up going with 257 though kinda wish I kept the porter. Canvas / leather (real useful canvas, not the thin waxed stuff) is always gonna weigh way too much.

3. AriGold

The truth is, you only buy Filson to be stylish. If you want performance i.e. water resistance and light-weight there are far better options out there.

1 person likes this.
  4. poena

poena Well-Known Member

any recs on a different bag to use as a carry on that's lighter weight and quality?

5. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

Agree with AriGold ... as I use my medium Field Bag as a diaper bag, I realize that my purchase was driven more by fashion than by function.

On the other hand, my Levi's by Filson trucker jacket is super practical this time of year.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

Mine has served me well for over 20 years, before they were stylish and USA made products were common.

7. jruthe82

jruthe82 New Member

I have been reading this thread for a while and enjoy all the input.
    I was wondering if anyone out there would like to trade a green 258 for a 257 straight up.
    I have used it for a while in college when I had a lot to transport and now don't need all the space.
    It is in great shape, nicely worn, but no damage.
    Thanks,

8. AriGold

Fixed that for you. and i agree that Filson bags are extremely durable.

1 person likes this.
  9. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

Completely with AriGold. Even the stylish part is debatable. Many prefer the lightweight tech-fabric of Samsonite and Tumi in the outside-SF world.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  10. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

I've been asked a ridiculous amount of times who made my duffle. Never a word about any more outdoorsy or technical gear

11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Well-Known Member

I have light computer bags, backpacks and other luggage but they are all stuck in the closet while I use the Filson. Light weight doesn't last long in the hold of a plane.

Chad

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

how practical is wearing a suit, shirt, leather soled shoes to work when we could be wearing sneakers, dry-fit tech underwear, and goretex jumpsuits? (don't rule out seeing that in SW&D forums though ;) )

13. AriGold

haha lawrence i do not dissent from your view. I use both a filson briefcase for my papers and MBA, and my recently acquired filson duffle for the gym and my snowboarding weekend trips. My vanity exceeds my need for something light weight, plus i am exceptionally strong and muscular so i am happy to use the filson. For those other weaker/beta men out there, choosing filson may not be so practical or for lugging around big loads over a long period of time.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

On a trip last year to Peru I went with a dual pronged approach: for the bulk of my stuff I brought my Patagoina MLC bag (Maximum Legal Carry on Bag) and a Filson Zippered Tote for the rest.

I understand the 256/257/258 can be heavy, but I think the Zippered Tote is as practical/utilitarian as a travel bag can get.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  15. sandecker

sandecker New Member

Hello,

I am looking for a carry on bag for one and two days travel. Is there any suggestion of what Filson bag to choose?
    I have looked at Duffle bag small and it seems like a good choice, or?

Thanks!
    -sandecker

16. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

17. dmass1

dmass1 Well-Known Member

Anyone use the medium duffle as a carry on bag when flying? I know it's just outside of the official size limit, but given that it's a duffle bag and collapses a bit I'm wondering if its allowed. Have a trip coming up and will be purchasing a medium duffle...

18. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

It works. Done it many times. Even though its dimensions are outside of the max limit, unless you fill it to the brim it'll compress in an overhead. Not once have I ever been questioned.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  19. dmass1

dmass1 Well-Known Member

Thanks - I figured that would be the case.

On a sidenote, do you find the medium duffle to be too big? I haven't seen it in person, but sort of wavering between medium and small. I'm sure the medium will work for my trips of 4-5 days or longer, but is it overkill for a weekend getaway?

20. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

Its overkill for me for a weekend trip. Especially in summer when it's lighter weight clothes. You can pack a ton of shit in there.

1 person likes this.