1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

    We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

    We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

    Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

    Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

    Cheers,

    The Styleforum Team

    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

  1. svelten

    svelten Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    392
    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Why not just unclip the strap from the bag if you want to carry it like a briefcase?

    Half the time I want to carry it on my shoulder - I normally take public transit to work, which involves 3 transfers in busy terminals so I switch up on a whim...
     
  2. dappledown

    dappledown Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    138
    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    or you could keep the strap tucked into the near side pocket. looks good and u still got the strap available for when u need it. I went with the tan colour and no regrets. goes with EVERYTHING.
     
  3. longskate88

    longskate88 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,261
    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2006
    Location:
    San Diego
    Here ya go, it just naturally hangs this way:
    [​IMG]
     
  4. hubert

    hubert Active Member

    Messages:
    38
    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2010
    Location:
    New York, NY
    Gorgeous pics, finally some truthfully revealing shots of what the bag is supposed to look like. Have you decided what to keep?

    Thanks. I decided to keep the dark brown Filson because I thought it would look more appropriate on the days I have to wear a suit to work, but I still love the tan color. As others have mentioned, the brown color begins to fade, which adds some contrast with the leather straps. IMO, both bags look better after some good use.

    Here ya go, it just naturally hangs this way:

    This is a smart solution to the strap problem. I normally just stuff the strap into the side pocket.
     
  5. bart

    bart Member

    Messages:
    7
    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    I ordered a 256 in tan with a handle from David over at Cranes. They shipped it out right away, along with a flashlight bulb that they went above and beyond to get for me. Great guys up there! Anyway, the Filson is pure beef, as I knew it would be. Here are a few pics of it along with my old Mulholland bag (which retails for more, but doesn't hold a candle to the Filson). I debated for a while on which one to get, and am happy with the 256 for a daily carry and travel bag.

    I'll have to order another bag that can hold a week's worth of clothes - will probably look for one that is as large as you can carry on. Any advice on what to choose for that? Also will probably get that one in Green to show dirt less.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    1 person likes this.
  6. Crane's

    Crane's Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    6,237
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    Location:
    Chasing tornadoes across the plains.
    I'll have to order another bag that can hold a week's worth of clothes - will probably look for one that is as large as you can carry on. Any advice on what to choose for that? Also will probably get that one in Green to show dirt less.


    Oh yeah I can recommend something. Get the large carry on bag style 242.
     
  7. ljrcustom

    ljrcustom Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,649
    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2009
    Location:
    Boston to NYC
     
  8. bart

    bart Member

    Messages:
    7
    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    242 seems small? Ideally, the bag would be the absolute maximum size I could carry on. I would usually check it anyway, but having the option the carry on would be good. Wheels are also great for when I have it stuffed and it weighs a metric tonne.

    Wish this wasn't so expensive:

    http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=2
     
  9. Crane's

    Crane's Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    6,237
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    Location:
    Chasing tornadoes across the plains.
    242 seems small? Ideally, the bag would be the absolute maximum size I could carry on. I would usually check it anyway, but having the option the carry on would be good. Wheels are also great for when I have it stuffed and it weighs a metric tonne.

    Wish this wasn't so expensive:

    http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=2


    It's a few bucks more than the 242 and the discount code is still active BTW. Buying it would hurt a little but keep in mind you'll pay for it only once in your lifetime.
     
  10. JTK

    JTK Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    219
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    I'm trying to decide b/t the brown and tan for the large travel bag (248). I have the tan briefcase (257), and love the way it looks. I had a chance to see the tan in the flesh and it looks great, but I'm worried about matching too much! Does anyone have real-world experience with how the brown looks??
     
  11. GusW

    GusW Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    19,128
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    The tan is nice but the brown is far more forgiving on dirt and scuffs.
     
  12. JTK

    JTK Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    219
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    Does anyone know if the Large Travel bag (248) will fit in airline overheads? Thx!
     
  13. DocJott

    DocJott Member

    Messages:
    6
    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    I am about to pull the trigger on a Filson, but don't know, which one to take. How do the 256 and 257 compare in size and weight, if there are only a few small things (keys, mobiles, a paperback book) in it? Will the 257 be as flat as the 256? I would use the bag with only such small thing in 80% of the time, but would like to use it for files and my notebook or my shoppings in the other 20%. Could anybody post a picture comparing the 256 and the 257 (could not find any via Google)?
     
  14. Spaceman_Spiff

    Spaceman_Spiff Member

    Messages:
    6
    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hi,

    I can't give you a comprehensive answer, but hopefully I can provide some useful information. After being in more or less the same boat as you, I decided on the 257 and received it yesterday. I can fit my laptop, one notebook and two textbooks along with some small things into the bag, but nothing else. If you will need to carry this much, get the 257. If you need to carry more, get something else. Also, I can't imagine using it for shopping.

    I'm definitely glad I went for the 257 over the 256, as from the pictures it looks like you would only be able to get a laptop and one textbook in there comfortably. I was hoping that the 257 would have room for my laptop, notebook and either several textbooks, or a large stack of papers for the odd time that I need to carry lots of stuff, but that is definitely not the case.

    I am about to pull the trigger on a Filson, but don't know, which one to take.

    How do the 256 and 257 compare in size and weight, if there are only a few small things (keys, mobiles, a paperback book) in it? Will the 257 be as flat as the 256?

    I would use the bag with only such small thing in 80% of the time, but would like to use it for files and my notebook or my shoppings in the other 20%.

    Could anybody post a picture comparing the 256 and the 257 (could not find any via Google)?
     
  15. Crane's

    Crane's Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    6,237
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    Location:
    Chasing tornadoes across the plains.
    Does anyone know if the Large Travel bag (248) will fit in airline overheads? Thx!

    No it won't.

    I am about to pull the trigger on a Filson, but don't know, which one to take.

    How do the 256 and 257 compare in size and weight, if there are only a few small things (keys, mobiles, a paperback book) in it? Will the 257 be as flat as the 256?

    I would use the bag with only such small thing in 80% of the time, but would like to use it for files and my notebook or my shoppings in the other 20%.

    Could anybody post a picture comparing the 256 and the 257 (could not find any via Google)?


    The dimensions and weight of almost all of the Filson luggage is detailed on our site. The 256 is a good choice for you however down the road the 257 will probably serve you better.
     
  16. DocJott

    DocJott Member

    Messages:
    6
    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    The dimensions and weight of almost all of the Filson luggage is detailed on our site. The 256 is a good choice for you however down the road the 257 will probably serve you better.

    While I could find the dimensions, I could not find the weight (which is more essential, I think).

    I could not find the 257 on your site at all. Do you have some in stock?

    What would shipping to Germany be?
     
  17. DocJott

    DocJott Member

    Messages:
    6
    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    Hi, I can't give you a comprehensive answer, but hopefully I can provide some useful information. After being in more or less the same boat as you, I decided on the 257 and received it yesterday. I can fit my laptop, one notebook and two textbooks along with some small things into the bag, but nothing else. If you will need to carry this much, get the 257. If you need to carry more, get something else. Also, I can't imagine using it for shopping.
    What is it like when you carry the empty 257? Does it follow your body shape (like in this post) or is it more stiff (like in this post, where I assume that it is fully loaded)? If an empty 257 would follow the body similar to the 256 in the first post, I would go for the 257. Otherwise I would go for the 256. I could not find any single picture comparing them side by side. Anyone?
     
  18. Spaceman_Spiff

    Spaceman_Spiff Member

    Messages:
    6
    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    What is it like when you carry the empty 257? Does it follow your body shape (like in this post) or is it more stiff (like in this post, where I assume that it is fully loaded)?

    If an empty 257 would follow the body similar to the 256 in the first post, I would go for the 257. Otherwise I would go for the 256.

    I could not find any single picture comparing them side by side. Anyone?


    I think the main difference between those two bags is that the 256 has been "worked in" by its owner, while the second is new. My bag is brand new and tends to hold its shape even when unloaded. It collapses more than the bag in the second picture, but is still very stiff. I imagine it will look more like the first bag in a couple of months.
     
  19. Crane's

    Crane's Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    6,237
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    Location:
    Chasing tornadoes across the plains.
    While I could find the dimensions, I could not find the weight (which is more essential, I think).

    I could not find the 257 on your site at all. Do you have some in stock?

    What would shipping to Germany be?


    We have temporarily disabled the 257 on the site. The reason being we are out of stock and cannot get any in tan until sometime in June and brown in early July. It appears that Filson is having a major issue getting material or their production schedule is a royal mess. In any case it's something they need to correct and hopefully this does not happen again.

    I think we have a few in Otter but you'll have to call or email the store. Same thing goes for international shipping quotes.
     
  20. asdf

    asdf Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    810
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    We have temporarily disabled the 257 on the site. The reason being we are out of stock and cannot get any in tan until sometime in June and brown in early July. It appears that Filson is having a major issue getting material or their production schedule is a royal mess. In any case it's something they need to correct and hopefully this does not happen again.

    I think we have a few in Otter but you'll have to call or email the store. Same thing goes for international shipping quotes.


    256's also back ordered?
     

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by