1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

What about using hanksclothing.com prices to price match with workingpersons + 20% disc, if the rep you get allows for that - I think that would be a pretty good deal.

2. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Eh. I personally don't like the idea of trying to "get away" with something I know is against a store's policy just because their SA's aren't well trained or their website is buggy (a la the occasional Alden that slips through during J. Crew sales). To each their own.

As for the tax thing, there is no such thing as "tax free". There is such a thing as not being charged sales tax, but you'll note the next time you file your state income taxes that (if your state has a sales tax) there is a section on "use tax", where you are technically supposed to declare and pay tax on anything purchased outside the state and used within the state. Do most people do this if not forced to (like when trying to register a car purchased out of state)? I suspect not. Does that mean you're not technically on the hook for the tax? No, it does not. Again, to each their own.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/use_tax_for_individuals.htm

3. tlnyc

tlnyc New Member

I honestly missed the part about the DOES NOT APPLY to Filson products, wasn't trying to deceive anyone. If it goes through awesome, if it doesn't oh well.

4. steveoly

steveoly Well-Known Member

FYI, regarding the Cable Car pricing online, apparently the website is outdated and the prices are not correct. I called to purchase a 256. It's shown as $215 online but the guy said the price was $235. It comes out to $181 shipped in that case. So the deal isn't quite as crazy, but still seems pretty good IMO.

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

That is interesting and a shame that they are charging above the Filson price of $225. I will need to double check with them on the Oregon trail jacket before ordering, but I don't think it will get cheaper than 30% off list or even $10 above list.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. Roostertxp

Roostertxp Well-Known Member

Does it look ok for a big guy o carry the tote on shoulder?

7. Roostertxp

Has anyone removed the outer pockets of a 257 to save weight and make the bag more efficient? I am considering cutting mine down.

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

I have a 257 and use the pockets all the time. How much weight would you save by bastardizing the bag like that?

9. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

Each to their own I guess, but you have to think maybe the OP chose the wrong bag if they need to save some small amount of weight like that. Maybe a 256 would have been better ?

10. Roostertxp

I already cut away the key ring and interior pockets and noticed big difference but the bag is still inefficient. Considering cutting away the top flap that covers the zipper as it serves no purpose. May keep outer pockets.

11. Winston S.

I've seen it on guys that are 6'0 and skinny and it looked OK. Not sure what your definition of big is.

If you did that you almost have yourself a zippered tote.

12. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

You've posted in the 1K thread and the Saddleback thread about how you chopped up or want to chop up a product to save weight and make things more efficient. Post the pics of your butcher work. I don't think you have done what you claim.

13. quuz

quuz Well-Known Member

Really strange thing to lie about though :S

14. Winston S.

I was quoted $377 - 30% ($113.1 off) for this:
    http://www.filson.com/products/oregon-trail-jacket.10067.html

and $77 - 30% ($23.10 off) for this :

http://www.filson.com/products/oregon-trail-jacket-hood.10139.html

Still a little cheaper then the next best deal, but not really 30% off as mentioned before considering there is a mark up on the items.

So my total cost for the combo would be:

Cable Car: $317.80 plus shipping
    Joe's Sporting Goods (Next time they have a 20% sale): $325.60

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. steveoly

steveoly Well-Known Member

Still a good deal considering its slightly better than 20% off retail...albeit a bit misleading on their part.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  16. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

There are some really strange people out there.

17. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Why the hell would you buy something and then butcher it up. That's effed up. I use the key ring and outer pockets quite frequently. But whatev's - its your money

18. Roostertxp

I can't seem to post pics from my Mac. I have chopped some down to save weight. I carry a lot and need efficient products. If I can figure out how to post pics I will. Crane the boots I bought from you a few months ago.

19. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I even understand why you would do what you say you are doing. You are talking miniscule amounts of weight here. That and everything you chop up no longer has any kind of warranty.

20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Does that place have the zipper tote for 30% off?