• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filipino SFers?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I met and worked with a Filipino Salesian priest in East Timor years ago - one of the most inspiring and admirable people I have ever had the privilege to be near.
Neat. I've heard good things about the Filipino Salesians too. They supposedly are very into my favorite theologian, Bernard Lonergan, SJ.

Originally Posted by robertorex
What were you doing teaching at A de Z? My family wants me to be back home for a year after graduation and I think I would like that as well, I was thinking of maybe going for some low-level lecturer position at ADMU for English, because I'm loath to teach at my high school full of cocky chinese kids
tounge.gif
am thinking it would be an interesting change of pace before heading off to grad school.

Taught philosophy and did some Muslim-Xn dialogue. Loved it. I think it's a great idea to teach for a year or two.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
emptym, are you Filipino yourself? Just wondering.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I'm down with this, but hopefully not in Embassy or places like that. Guess I'm too old for that.

Embassy's really not what it used to be. Besides, they don't play the stylish music we like to socialize to.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Neat. I've heard good things about the Filipino Salesians too. They supposedly are very into my favorite theologian, Bernard Lonergan, SJ.

To be honest, I don't know much about their theology. All of the Salesians at Dom Bosco risked their lives on a regular basis to provide ministry and the eucharist to the East Timorese resistance in the mountains. I heard that several were killed when they tried to protect the children at their orphanage from the Indonesian militias prior to their withdrawal. I do know that the Filipino priest that I worked with survived. If it were up to me, he would share the Nobel Peace Prize with Bishop Belo and would be canonized too!

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
Embassy's really not what it used to be. Besides, they don't play the stylish music we like to socialize to.
Fool, we be poppin' bottles at teh Embassy. I actually had an enjoyable time...the main room had some nice DJ / Drummer collabo performance, those are always cool. They cracked down on fights....I really couldn't believe how Fiamma seems more up to speed..nice environments, more upscale crowd..music not blaring.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Are there any hot Latin chicks from Spain left or have they completely disappeared from the landscape? I've heard Imelda is mixed no?

home_left.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Fool, we be poppin' bottles at teh Embassy. I actually had an enjoyable time...the main room had some nice DJ / Drummer collabo performance, those are always cool. They cracked down on fights....I really couldn't believe how

Fiamma seems more up to speed..nice environments, more upscale crowd..music not blaring.

Only time I went to Fiamma it had beautiful girls but was kind of dead.

I really like Cuisine, the small lounge next to Embassy.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Only time I went to Fiamma it had beautiful girls but was kind of dead.

I really like Cuisine, the small lounge next to Embassy.

What is "the embassy"? I thought you guys were talking about some governmental building/center.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Are there any hot Latin chicks from Spain left or have they completely disappeared from the landscape? I've heard Imelda is mixed no?

home_left.jpg

Just wait till Conne sees that. Crazy chicks anyone?

mistewacko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
What is "the embassy"? I thought you guys were talking about some governmental building/center.

Embassy is a club, reputedly the best club in the nation.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is bordering on CE status, but the whole Chip Tsao issue is pissing me off. More so that people are pissed off about it.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
emptym, are you Filipino yourself? Just wondering.
Yep, half.
Originally Posted by JustinW
To be honest, I don't know much about their theology. All of the Salesians at Dom Bosco risked their lives on a regular basis to provide ministry and the eucharist to the East Timorese resistance in the mountains. I heard that several were killed when they tried to protect the children at their orphanage from the Indonesian militias prior to their withdrawal. I do know that the Filipino priest that I worked with survived. If it were up to me, he would share the Nobel Peace Prize with Bishop Belo and would be canonized too!
Wow. I'd like to meet him. What were you doing when you did? Their story sounds like the one in the movie The Mission. Someone should make a movie of them. We hear a lot about martyrs in Latin America in the US, but I've never heard of these Salesians. Do you have a link to their story?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, so let's have a roll call for a SFPI July meetup. I think it's good to get something going this far in advance so it actually happens
laugh.gif
So far it's: me bbaquiran acidicboy emptym possibly ahjota anyone else? Need to think of a place too.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ awesome idea. post pictures!

Hawaiibiker

Reaction score
Kamusta SF Kaibigan ;-)

I was born in Manila but moved to NY when I was young.

Pupunta ako sa Manila para sa trabajo ko at gustuko mag meet kayo!

I travel to Manila once a month and will be moving back by the fall .... I hope to see you guys in July.

In the meantime, where is Embassy and Flamma? Any other places you guys recommend for nightlife?

Maraming Salamat!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads