1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filipino SFers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ahjota, Oct 16, 2008.

1. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

This is bordering on CE status, but the whole Chip Tsao issue is pissing me off. More so that people are pissed off about it.

2. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

emptym, are you Filipino yourself? Just wondering.
    Yep, half.
    To be honest, I don't know much about their theology. All of the Salesians at Dom Bosco risked their lives on a regular basis to provide ministry and the eucharist to the East Timorese resistance in the mountains. I heard that several were killed when they tried to protect the children at their orphanage from the Indonesian militias prior to their withdrawal. I do know that the Filipino priest that I worked with survived. If it were up to me, he would share the Nobel Peace Prize with Bishop Belo and would be canonized too!
    Wow. I'd like to meet him. What were you doing when you did? Their story sounds like the one in the movie The Mission. Someone should make a movie of them. We hear a lot about martyrs in Latin America in the US, but I've never heard of these Salesians. Do you have a link to their story?

3. robertorex

Hm, so let's have a roll call for a SFPI July meetup. I think it's good to get something going this far in advance so it actually happens [​IMG] So far it's: me bbaquiran acidicboy emptym possibly ahjota anyone else? Need to think of a place too.

4. Maharlika

Maharlika Well-Known Member

^^^ awesome idea. post pictures!

5. Hawaiibiker

Hawaiibiker Member

Kamusta SF Kaibigan ;-)

I was born in Manila but moved to NY when I was young.

Pupunta ako sa Manila para sa trabajo ko at gustuko mag meet kayo!

I travel to Manila once a month and will be moving back by the fall .... I hope to see you guys in July.

In the meantime, where is Embassy and Flamma? Any other places you guys recommend for nightlife?

Maraming Salamat!

6. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

Hm, so let's have a roll call for a SFPI July meetup. I think it's good to get something going this far in advance so it actually happens [​IMG] So far it's:

me
    bbaquiran
    acidicboy
    emptym
    possibly ahjota

anyone else? Need to think of a place too.

I might be able to bring along some SuFu regulars, and my tailor buddy.

7. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I might not be able to go... Ateneo said the econ downturn has hurt them. I offered to come for just airfare or even for free, but haven't gotten a response yet. I could press the issue, but it may be best to wait a year. Could come to see relatives, but they'll be here for a wedding in a couple weeks...

8. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I might not be able to go... Ateneo said the econ downturn has hurt them. I offered to come for just airfare or even for free, but haven't gotten a response yet. I could press the issue, but it may be best to wait a year. Could come to see relatives, but they'll be here for a wedding in a couple weeks...

Ateneo is penny pinching?? A few Jesuits just came back from a trip to Rome! [​IMG]

9. robertorex

good christ, the jesuits.

10. tahonng

tahonng Well-Known Member

Full Pinoy here. And I don't think my family's got too much land over there, just a couple of acres from my grandparents' houses. Oh, and my dad has a fishing pond or something.

Would be interested in the pics of the meet-up, fo' sho.

11. JSTF

JSTF Well-Known Member

i'd go. hopefully i'm back by then.

12. bramiro

bramiro Well-Known Member

Kamusta SF Kaibigan ;-)

I travel to Manila once a month and will be moving back by the fall .... I hope to see you guys in July.

In the meantime, where is Embassy and Flamma? Any other places you guys recommend for nightlife?

Maraming Salamat!

Haven't been into Embassy but I've heard it already. As for Flamma, haven't heard it yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

I hope to be going to Embassy this December if everything works out.

14. bbaquiran

i'd go. hopefully i'm back by then.

Are you still in Indo?

15. JSTF

JSTF Well-Known Member

yeah. earliest i can hope to go back is wed of the week after next.

16. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Well-Known Member

Kamusta SF Kaibigan ;-)

Maraming Salamat!

Haven't been into Embassy but I've heard it already. As for Flamma, haven't heard it yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... @the Fort__ close to Serendra and MarketMarket. another [NYC-based] noyp coming out of the woodwork, here.

they got Manila meet-ups in Sufu, too__ maybe you guys could organize something 2gether[​IMG]

17. JSTF

JSTF Well-Known Member

... @the Fort__ close to Serendra and MarketMarket. another [NYC-based] noyp coming out of the woodwork, here.

they got Manila meet-ups in Sufu, too__ maybe you guys could organize something 2gether[​IMG]

oh yeah? hey b maybe u and ed organized this? i remember u 2 trying to organize some meet up when we were there.

18. bbaquiran

Not me man. Been busy with work and stuff.

Let's get together with ed when you're back.

19. JSTF

JSTF Well-Known Member

ya for sure. i hear its been raining like crazy there tho.

20. mfais

mfais Well-Known Member

hi all ill be going to the philippines on a business trip in july and ill be there for a month. any reputable tailors? please pm me.