1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Field jacket recommendations?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I am ill-prepared for all this crazy rain wer'e having out here. Anyone have any recommendations for a stylin' field jacket that is both practical and good looking: e.g. it will actually repel rain and keep you warm while not making you look like a middle-aged NPR-listener. (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I was thinking North Face, but I'm not a fan of brandishing too many logos.
    I sort of like this Swiss Army jacket:
    [​IMG]

2. Torque

Torque Member

I'm a fan of Babour jackets or, if you want it less "English landed gentry" styled Fjällräven

Fjällräven:
    [​IMG]

3. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

second the Barbour. The waxed Beaufort model in particular. The way that waxed cotton ages is very interesting. People hold on to these jackets for decades and all the little repairs make them unique. I am totally loyal to this brand.

[​IMG]

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Barbour jackets are *really* popular now, and the waxed cotton material is very nice, but I prefer modern cuts (or at least updates) from companies like 6876 and Engineered Garments.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

yeah, i heard they were popular in boston, actually stumbled across an article in some Boston newspaper about the jackets. in philadelphia, i can think of ONE time i saw someone else in a barbour coat and it was in a rust color. and i work with someone with a 20-year-old green barbour that looks absolutely amazing.

6. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll check out the Barbour coats. I think they have them at The Hound here. They seem a tad conservative for me. But, I'll keep an open mind. LA Guy, where can one find Engineered Garments in SF? Thx.

7. LA Guy

Thanks. I'll check out the Barbour coats. I think they have them at The Hound here. They seem a tad conservative for me. But, I'll keep an open mind. LA Guy, where can one find Engineered Garments in SF? Thx.

Engineered Garments can be found in MAC in SF. I think that a search for MAC on the forum will turn up their contact info and address. IIRC, and my SF geography is weak, it is on Fillmore.

8. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

MAC is at 387 Grove St. at Gough (Hayes Valley.)
    (415) 863-3011

9. LA Guy

MAC is at 387 Grove St. at Gough (Hayes Valley.)
    (415) 863-3011

Well, there you go. I'm an idiot.

10. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Actually, there is a MAC on Fillmore, but it is a MAC makeup store... not affiliated. Anyway, you're off the hook. [​IMG]

11. j

j Well-Known Member

Belstaff. Though it seems to be getting hyped a lot lately (thanks Maverick!), who cares, their stuff is great.

12. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

13. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

too busy for me honestly

14. bob

bob Well-Known Member

15. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

I had been considering that Alpha McGyver, but decided it was a bit over the top. I wish they had a slimmer version of a standard M65. All that extra metal and stitching on the McGyver makes it look like they didn't know when to stop adding details.

Timberland has a cargo jacket with liner that I may go look at in-store.
    [​IMG]

16. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

I find the standard m65s like the one above, normally kind of boring. but that mcguyver one looked cool.. they are a supplier for the army and stuff. I have a feeling paying 165 for that jacket is a bit of a rip off... hmmm they also sell regular m65 jackets... http://www.acejackets.com/Alpha_Mili...cket_p/m65.htm

17. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

I used to have one of their M65s. The milspec M65s are cut too full for me to use as an everyday jacket, because they are intended to be worn with multiple layers underneath. If the McGyver was a little less busy I think I'd go for it.

18. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

19. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

alpha stuff fits huuuuuge fyi

20. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

Belstaff. Though it seems to be getting hyped a lot lately (thanks Maverick!), who cares, their stuff is great.
    Where do you find Belstaff at prices that don't require complicated private equity deals? Hell, where do you find Belstaff at all?