1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ferrari Controls the Media

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by RFX45, Feb 22, 2011.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

Eh, this is old news. Ringer press cars are nothing new. John DeLorean invented it.

Ferrari could care less. There are people on waiting lists to buy every new one they build. There are people with the means, who can't get on the right lists to buy the cars they want.

I would love a new 458. However, I would buy the quicker 911 Turbo S, or get a GT3RS and a couple other toys before I bought the Ferrari.

Mike

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

You really just have to drive all these cars for yourself and see what you like. You would be surprised which one turns out to be your favorite.

The most fun car I have driven is the Saleen S7. Holyshit it defies the laws of physics. Not a Blvd cruiser though.

I've driven a fair number of exotics - but I'd honestly say a Lotus Elise or Miata is more fun to drive on a daily basis - "driving a slow car fast" and all that. Of course an Elise is also a torture rack on a daily commute. I've never driven the Saleen - but it looks like a lot of fun.

Eh, this is old news. Ringer press cars are nothing new. John DeLorean invented it.

Ferrari could care less. There are people on waiting lists to buy every new one they build. There are people with the means, who can't get on the right lists to buy the cars they want.

I would love a new 458. However, I would buy the quicker 911 Turbo S, or get a GT3RS and a couple other toys before I bought the Ferrari.

Mike

They might have a waiting list - but a reputation can be tarnished by these things. There is a long, long list of car makers that have fallen from great heights - mostly because of hubris and taking their customers for granted. Racing heritage be damned - what have you done for me lately?

3. GSquared

GSquared Well-Known Member

Definitely thought this author had some serious stones to write this and am definitely glad he did. I've always wanted a Ferrari and that has been my 'If I win the lottery' car.... now thinking that decision needs to be looked into more. Porsche 997???

4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I am certainly not a car expert by any means and anything I say could be way off base and so please correct me if needed - but I wonder how much of this is due to pressure from Lamborghini? Here Ferrari releases the Scuderia and champions its aerodynamics, its precision engineering, and its speed which matches the Enzo on their test track ... and then Lambo comes in with a 560 that is faster, has much more equipment inside (ie. not bare bones only like the Scuderia), is cheaper (I think), and that you don't need to be a multi-car legacy Lamborghini owner to purchase without waiting for years.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I am certainly not a car expert by any means and anything I say could be way off base and so please correct me if needed - but I wonder how much of this is due to pressure from Lamborghini? Here Ferrari releases the Scuderia and champions its aerodynamics, its precision engineering, and its speed which matches the Enzo on their test track ... and then Lambo comes in with a 560 that is faster, has much more equipment inside (ie. not bare bones only like the Scuderia), is cheaper (I think), and that you don't need to be a multi-car legacy Lamborghini owner to purchase without waiting for years.
    My guess - not much. They just don't care about customer service very much. They've never really cared about customers, and they've always cut corners and done shady stuff. It's in their DNA. Look at all the crazy stuff they did in the 1960s to get their race cars homologated. They constantly claimed that completely different cars were part of the same model range so that there would be an acceptable number built in accordance with FIA regulations. For the most part, it worked.

6. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Yeah, this has been going on for a long time. At the very least I remember reading in the mid 90s that ferrari wouldn't let owners lend F50s to magazines for tests as they feared it wouldn't match the performance of the F40.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

My guess - not much. They just don't care about customer service very much. They've never really cared about customers, and they've always cut corners and done shady stuff. It's in their DNA. Look at all the crazy stuff they did in the 1960s to get their race cars homologated. They constantly claimed that completely different cars were part of the same model range so that there would be an acceptable number built in accordance with FIA regulations. For the most part, it worked.

Sounds awesome. [​IMG]