1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ferrari 458 (430 replacement)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by origenesprit, Sep 2, 2009.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

The 430 was premiered the same color as above; it had a lot of sharp edges, particularly in the fascia that allowed it to look pretty good from any angle, and the back was Enzo-esque so everyone liked it; this 458, I really didn't see that kind of snout coming from the original pics and I must say it looks 1000X better in metallic, with selective light. The angle above is how a lot of people will see the car in real life too, so I guess it is a better looking car than I originally thought.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

3. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Sorry, the headlights are still horrible, even in those pics. I love the rest of it, but the headlights just ruin it for me.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Sorry, the headlights are still horrible, even in those pics.

Sadly, agreed.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I have to say, the paddle transmissions now are just sick. I recently tracked the F430 and the Scuderia one after the other, and it was just night and day. The Scuderia shifts are insanely fast.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I have to say, the paddle transmissions now are just sick. I recently tracked the F430 and the Scuderia one after the other, and it was just night and day. The Scuderia shifts are insanely fast.

But is it as fun as a good stick shift? I don't doubt the performance advantage of double clutch and automated clutch transmissions, but it's not all about knocking a few tenths off.

7. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    That's awesome to know, especially since it's what Ferrari intended. Are you an owner / was it part of a track-day event?

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

But is it as fun as a good stick shift? I don't doubt the performance advantage of double clutch and automated clutch transmissions, but it's all about knocking a few tenths off.

Yes and no from my perspective. I've driven an F430 spider with manual but not on the track. It's a different feel for sure. Frankly, while I think I'm quite a good track driver, I do not think I'm very good generally with a stick shift. I'm just not 100% comfortable with my abilities.

I hope to get into vintage cars, which obviously will involve manual trans. I think it does give you more of a connection to the car. But, in the newer cars, being able to use the technology to go faster is fun too. They both are great in different ways, I guess. They both have their benefits. The solution is to have both. [​IMG]

That's awesome to know, especially since it's what Ferrari intended. Are you an owner / was it part of a track-day event?

A private track club.

9. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

But is it as fun as a good stick shift? I don't doubt the performance advantage of double clutch and automated clutch transmissions, but it's not all about knocking a few tenths off.

For the vast majority of people out there (99.9% at least), time lost on shifts is pretty small compared to other areas of their driving. If it is even as much as a few tenths, not many people can drive with enough consistency to make that matter.

Semiautomatic gearboxes are lots of fun, but you shouldn't get one thinking that it will improve your lap time.

--Andre

10. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

A cool (but pretty affected) video of the 458 in action with lots of revvy engine noises:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

11. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

After finally seeing the car in action (from the video at least) I'm really not liking the styling of this new car. If a lot of the design ques have more to do with function, great; but from a purely aesthetic perspective I hope this direction doesn't bleed into the higher end models.

The 355, 360, and 430 are well ahead in the looks department in my opinion. The interior is both interesting and bold but it isn't beautiful.

12. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

I, for one, absolutely love it. However my primary visual look has been the new Automobile Magazine and the pictures in there make it look sensuous.

Perry

13. Christofuh

Christofuh Well-Known Member

14. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

I, for one, absolutely love it. However my primary visual look has been the new Automobile Magazine and the pictures in there make it look sensuous.

Perry

I tried looking those up but with no success. Do you have a link by any chance?

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

GTFO with that shyt [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uhh... they both have four wheels I guess.

16. Christofuh

Christofuh Well-Known Member

We've seen this movie before [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I like it....

It's never going to be perfect, but I like it.

You want perfect?

Here you go:

[​IMG]

19. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Sadly I must admit it is faster and prettier than the really cool Lexus LF-A.