1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fedex Bill

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Slickman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

For me it never functioned. Update, did everything arrive without charges?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Well-Known Member

what is everyone's experience with customs charges. i live in connecticut and im going to budapest next week. i want to get a pair of vass but avoid the $300 fee, what are the best options?

3. Galix

Galix Well-Known Member

Just put them inside your luggage or wear them.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

basically...

5. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Do what people who buy watches overseas do.
    Wear the shoes and mail the box home.

6. ziggyosk

the only thing is they might not have the size/style i want, so im going off the assumption they wont have it and i will need to get them MTO...

any experiences...

7. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

on taxes/duties???

8. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

First, I'm pretty sure that $300 bill is incorrect. You can try and figure out what it should be. Go search for "harmonized tarriff schedule". It's a nightmare to decipher but I think for shoes it should be around 9%.

There is some option on fedex shipments which includes clearance. I've not been assessed anything when receiving shipments that way.

If you have them shipped via Express Mail/USPS, your chances of paying anything is pretty low.
    And if you do get assessed incorrectly they're pretty amenable to correcting it.

9. chrisjr

chrisjr Well-Known Member

taxes & duties in canada are a real pain. my lovely girlfriend knows i like this site and i told her about a polo blazer i quite liked being offered on b&s. she wanted to please me and set up a paypal account and arranged to purchase the blazer, and in order to get the blazer here on time for christmas (i think she ordered around the 15th), she chose 2-day airmail.

The blazer was about $320, shipping was $40. the buyer refused to mark the item at less than the value that was paid, including shipping for some odd reason. Item arrived in toronto after 2 days but was kept at customs (though canada post could not tell us where it was and could not rush it through). the item didn't arrive until the 29th of december, and they charges 13% sales tax (which i expected), 18% duties (as it was made in italy... i really wasn't expecting this), and a $10 customs handling fee, bringing the grand total of taxes to $122. great blazer, crap experience getting it.

In the future, I likely won't deal with sellers that won't mark the price down on the item, and will be sure to use ground shipping unless it's an emergency.

10. ziggyosk

yeah, i was just wondering what people who have ordered them usually pay in duties for a pair.

also does anyone know what forms of payment they take(visa, amex, mastercard)? i heard you get a discount paying cash? also can i get a VAT refund from vass?

any help is greatly appreciated, as i am a vass newb.

thanks

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

ground shipping from Italy may be difficult.

12. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

If you live in the US, order Vass through a proxy such as kolecho, it will save you the ambiguous duties bill from fedex

13. chrisjr

chrisjr Well-Known Member

to clarify, the garment was made in italy but bought from a B&S seller in the US (it is PRL)