• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federer v. Nadal

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
That's tennis had very little depth back then.

Yeah, I guess this a pretty lousy top 6

1981 - Men

1 John McEnroe- 7 Grand Salm Titles
2 Ivan Lendl- 8 Grand Salm Titles
3 Jimmy Connors- 8 Grand Slam Titles
4 Bjorn Borg- 11 Grand Slam Titles
5 Jose-Luis Clerc
6 Guillermo Vilas- 4 Grand Slam Titles

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
and by '82 you could add Mats Wilander to that list (multiple french, australian, US Open winner, even won the Wimbledon doubles with Anders Jarryd I believe before retiring in 89)

vincent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

1981 - Men

5 Jose-Luis Clerc

HaHah...You just proved violinist's point. The fact that back then there was no depth. No depth as in the fact that top 500 players could not come close to competing with top 10 players back in the 80s. However, now the talent is so deep. As you can see in grandslam matches, many qualifiers give top ranked players a very hard time and at times, beat them.

That 1981 top 6 is reflective of women's tennis where there is no depth..where only a few handfull of players have won or reached semifinals of grandslam tournaments (williams sisters, henin, clisters, mauresmo, davenport, sharappova).

I guess you did not know the meaning of depth in terms of tennis.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

1981 - Men

5 Jose-Luis Clerc

wise guy... there were more than 6 people in the ATP in 1981.

For instance, when you watch the NBA, announcers will talk about the "depth" of a team. A team which doesn't only have a strong starting 5, but some good guys from the bench too.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent

I guess you did not know the meaning of depth in terms of tennis.

How many of those collection of "deep" guys have actually won Grand Slams genious? By my account, if your not named Federer on Nadal, you haven't won *********** last several years. Whereas Borg was competing against a top ten rife with hall of fame talent.

So you're right, we do define depth as something different. I define it as playing in a tournament with actually more than one other guy who can win it.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lince
Federer is a legend and he is the superstar of Tennis and no one can beat him at this point of time he is in a peak and he is the best of all times after Pete Sampras Nadfal is also good but he is not up to the mark as federer So he is truly a legend.

That was legendary logorrhea.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ap wrote: It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.

Yes, I agree. I did name him as my pick for the best. I was just amazed every time I saw him play. And, I was a big Connors fan.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lince
Federer is a legend and he is the superstar of Tennis and no one can beat him at this point of time he is in a peak and he is the best of all times after Pete Sampras Nadfal is also good but he is not up to the mark as federer So he is truly a legend.

Holy ****.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just saw the final of the legg mason classic, and it was disappointing to see them interview the winner right away after the match. instead of letting him savor the victory, they stick a microphone in his face, the audience has to be quiet, and they start asking him about his plans for the rest of the season, effectively killing the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads