• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federer v. Nadal

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
From what I can tell, it's a contest to see who can grunt louder. IF I watch, the tv is on mute.

One reason I love Federer is the only sounds on his side of the court are the sonorous pop from his racket, but for a framer, a "come on" and growl here adn there.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was playing tennis yesterday (inspired by the final), and a guy was giving a lesson on the next court. The instructor was grunting every time he made contact. Even for soft returns (it was a lesson, after all). Is this strategy? I only grunt after I hit the ball, when I'm certain it's going out. Or maybe that's a groan.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Was playing tennis yesterday (inspired by the final), and a guy was giving a lesson on the next court. The instructor was grunting every time he made contact. Even for soft returns (it was a lesson, after all). Is this strategy? I only grunt after I hit the ball, when I'm certain it's going out. Or maybe that's a groan.

For some people it's a question of maintaining a rythym. I only grunt with excersion, but I haven't played in years.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
when I played competitively in high school, I know a lot of guys "grunted" because it was a way of maintaining a breathing pattern...basically a way to force yourself to exhale while striking the ball.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
My fiancee couldn't watch the entire match yesterday--or the French Open final, for that matter--because she thinks Nadal "sounds like he's **********". She pointed out, though, that the commentators never really mention it when they're talking about the male players, but they won't shut up about the grunting when Sharapova is out there. She thinks it's a bit sexist, and I can't say I disagree. Though it does kind of harsh the Sharapova buzz when she's out there grunting. Maybe if she could learn to sort of moan when she hits the ball instead? Sounding like you're ********** might be a turnoff for the men's game, but in the women's....

Seriously though, the second and third sets of that match were great. Nadal was starting to win me over. I found myself really starting to hope he'd win. Underdogs with heart get me every damn time.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharapova's Screams Less Sexy When They're Coming from the Crapper

smile.gif

Okay, so there is a practical reason behind the grunting--still seems silly, and it is undeniably distracting.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that makes 4 in a row for Federer. He can tie Bjorn if he wins next year. That's awfully good company. So, he has to be considered among the greatest tennis players.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Federer really seems to be on a roll. I don't know much about tennis though, I only noticed the current tournament because that guy from my hometown made it to the semifinals (yes, I am biased
biggrin.gif
)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I only noticed the current tournament because that guy from my hometown made it to the semifinals (yes, I am biased
biggrin.gif
)

ah the Cypriot. I actually thought of you when they mentioned where he was from.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
ah the Cypriot. I actually thought of you when they mentioned where he was from.

I had never heard ofg him before the Australian Open, frankly. Funny, he got an exemption from military service due to the tournaments. Bastard
tongue.gif

AdamG

Reaction score

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Well, that makes 4 in a row for Federer. He can tie Bjorn if he wins next year. That's awfully good company. So, he has to be considered among the greatest tennis players.

It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.

That's tennis had very little depth back then.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
That's tennis had very little depth back then.

i dunno about that. It was a different game with more shotmaking than today's game. The increase in racket technology has a big part in effecting how the game is played. I don't even think you can get a true midsize (80-85 sq in) headed racket these days. Go back to wood rackets and it'd be a completely different sport. Does the men's side have much depth today? not really. For once, the women's game is more interesting to watch since there's no clear favorite anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads