1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Federer v. Nadal

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Margaret, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

2. Earthmover

Earthmover Well-Known Member

Federer. There's very little question. He came damn close on clay on one or two occasions against Nadal, and unless he has the worst day of his life, the surface dominance will win out. I would like Nadal to win, though.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Me too. I want Nadal to win. But Federer can probably play at 75% on grass and still eek out a win over Nadal.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

who's nadal?

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Oh, for some reason I thought this was about Federline. I was like "who's he fighting?"

6. AdamG

AdamG Well-Known Member

On grass, Federer will walk it.

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

TENNIS? Is that a sport?

8. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Federer. There's something of the devil in Nadal.

9. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

Federer, even though Nadal's had his number for a while now.

10. Get Smart

yea, interestingly Nadal is 6-1 head to head against Federer, with many of those wins coming in the last year.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

12. hanker565

hanker565 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal won. There is so much pressure on Federer to show the world that he can beat Nadal, given that he's 1-6 vs him. Nadal's looking confident (no one expected him to make it this far on grass) and my money's on him. Can't wait for the match tomorrow...

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

well you gotta give him credit....

48 successive games on grass

4 successive Wimbledons

Takes some doing

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

TENNIS? Is that a sport?
    From what I can tell, it's a contest to see who can grunt louder. IF I watch, the tv is on mute.

15. riveroaks

riveroaks Well-Known Member

Fourth straight, yo. $1.2 million

16. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, it's a contest to see who can grunt louder. IF I watch, the tv is on mute.

One reason I love Federer is the only sounds on his side of the court are the sonorous pop from his racket, but for a framer, a "come on" and growl here adn there.

17. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Was playing tennis yesterday (inspired by the final), and a guy was giving a lesson on the next court. The instructor was grunting every time he made contact. Even for soft returns (it was a lesson, after all). Is this strategy? I only grunt after I hit the ball, when I'm certain it's going out. Or maybe that's a groan.

18. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

Was playing tennis yesterday (inspired by the final), and a guy was giving a lesson on the next court. The instructor was grunting every time he made contact. Even for soft returns (it was a lesson, after all). Is this strategy? I only grunt after I hit the ball, when I'm certain it's going out. Or maybe that's a groan.

For some people it's a question of maintaining a rythym. I only grunt with excersion, but I haven't played in years.

19. Get Smart

when I played competitively in high school, I know a lot of guys "grunted" because it was a way of maintaining a breathing pattern...basically a way to force yourself to exhale while striking the ball.

20. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

My fiancee couldn't watch the entire match yesterday--or the French Open final, for that matter--because she thinks Nadal "sounds like he's having sex". She pointed out, though, that the commentators never really mention it when they're talking about the male players, but they won't shut up about the grunting when Sharapova is out there. She thinks it's a bit sexist, and I can't say I disagree. Though it does kind of harsh the Sharapova buzz when she's out there grunting. Maybe if she could learn to sort of moan when she hits the ball instead? Sounding like you're having sex might be a turnoff for the men's game, but in the women's....

Seriously though, the second and third sets of that match were great. Nadal was starting to win me over. I found myself really starting to hope he'd win. Underdogs with heart get me every damn time.