1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Features of a 'good' watch?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by christian, Oct 25, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I think an old Bulova Accutron is a good watch, and yet it has a battery.

2. leon12

leon12 Well-Known Member

Omega makes an excellent watch.. but I'm assuming anything in the $200 range is vintage or fake. Buying vintage can be tricky and most serious collectors would advise against it without knowing a fair amount about watches. You may get the watch for $200, but it may need $1000 worth of work to make it run. It's difficult to tell these things from pictures.

For more modern watches in the sub-$500 range, I would look at Hamilton, Oris, Tissot, O&W, Archimede, Sinn or the Seiko automatic divers.. but there are numerous other options. I've seen Omega Seamaster Pro's in good shape go for $700 on timezone.com.

If you want something used, I would suggest spending some time on the sales forums at www.timezone.com and www.pmwf.com rather than watching ebay. Great deals can be had and the "collectors" that sell there take care of their watches. Buy the seller, not the watch.

Not to hijack a topic, but could some of the more knowledgeble people out there recommend some tips for checking out a used mechanical watch and possibly some good watches to look for.

Browsing around on ebay, I see there are several Omega Geneve watches that can be had for under $200. Any thoughts on this item?

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

OMG talk about a blast from the past.

Jon.

4. misterbowles

misterbowles Well-Known Member

5. roo

roo Member

Five Signs of a Quality Watch

6. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to understand why my Timex watch wouldn't be considered a 'good' watch, other than the fact it costs less than $30. It will be less likely to lose time. And, the style is classical and clean.

You just answered your own question.

I wish I saw the world through your eyes.