1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Tie label?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hbruce, Apr 14, 2006.

1. hbruce

hbruce Member

What are your favourite tie label?

Personally I'm having a hard time finding ties that I really like but after a recent visit in Tokyo I must say that I was impressed by the ties carried by "The Suit Company", especially considering their prices (about US$ 20).
    (https://www.uktsc.com)

I found some really nice ones at Agnes B today as well.

Your turn. What rocks your necks?

//Bruce

2. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

mmm, i'd love to have a few Charvet. if i can afford them, that is...

3. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

Dolce punta as of right now.

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

From the ones I have/seen so far, Chuck & Jill's (Carlo Franco) and Zegna. I am sure there are better ones than the Zegna around, but I tend to like a lot of their floral designs. I don't own any Charvet (yet) but I have yet to see one that looked compelling to me.

5. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Zegna seems to be a staple for me, as the quality is decent and the designs are quite contemporary.

6. Hanseat

Hanseat Well-Known Member

Never had a tie that I loved as much as my Drake's from the Andover shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't pull the knot tight, nor did I dimple it but just to demostrate that the lining has jsut the perfect thickness. Feels great, is tough and get compliments on it every time I wear it. Have to get many more from them. Marinella is good in that department too. The RLPL are a bit too soft for me, Alteas don't have the right feel to the silk and PRL are jsut too wide at the bottom to look good on me.

The Drake's is one of the best purchases I ever made in clothes and I kick myself for not having bought lot more of them. Worth more than what you pay for them not just every cent.

7. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Carlo Franco
    Nicky
    Breuer
    Charles Hill
    Drake's

8. mikeber

mikeber Well-Known Member

Dolce punta as of right now.

Do you own (or at least saw) one of their so called 11 fold ties?

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

Of the ties that I own, my favorites are my Carlo Francos. Close behind are Drake's, Anthony Kirby and Charvet.

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

The Drake's is one of the best purchases I ever made in clothes and I kick myself for not having bought lot more of them. Worth more than what you pay for them not just every cent.

STP has a pretty steady stream of them. If you haven't already, I suggest you check them out.

11. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

The Carlo Francos do look gorgeous, but I can't see myself paying that kind of money for a tie. I'd hate myself the first time I splatted tomato sauce on it, never mind the first time one of my kids wiped ice cream on it... [​IMG]

12. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

STP has a pretty steady stream of them. If you haven't already, I suggest you check them out.

and i believe they recently got a new shipment. i'll probably place an order when they make another discount.

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

My favorite is Charvet, maker of some of the most beautiful ties in the world. (And some of the ugliest, too.)

14. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Borrelli (for the colours)
    Zegna (for the textures)
    Leonard (for being the thinking man's Hermes)

And a whole bunch of little Como-region locals...

15. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

RJ -- like Charvet only more interesting.
    Holliday & Brown -- for being what Marinella was invented to try to be.
    Hilditch & Key -- sentimentality.
    Carlo Franco -- for superlative quality.

16. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Has mulberrywood been mentioned yet? Can't argue with bespoke and unique at those prices. FIH made my favorite tie.

17. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

I would say that the vast majority of my ties are just from department-store house brands. Nothing special in terms of construction, but if they look pretty and tie a good knot, I'll take 'em. A lot of places have become increasingly quick at knocking off designer ties, too - often in nicer colors.

Otherwise - Carlo Franco, FIH, Ike Behar, Etro, Richard James, Paul Smith.

Duchamp in theory are awesome, but I've never owned one I've liked enough to keep. I like the idea of a tie in all the colors of the rainbow, but the 'rainbow' ties all seem to lean more towards one color than the others, and this bugs me for some reason. Plus, they're too narrow and knot kind of funny.

18. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Well-Known Member

My number one pick would be drakes.

Other ties that I like are Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Luciano Barbera, Sulka, and TM Lewin.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I like Massimo Bizzocchi ties the most. I especially like that they come in various widths.

20. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

What are your favourite tie label?

Personally I'm having a hard time finding ties that I really like but after a recent visit in Tokyo I must say that I was impressed by the ties carried by "The Suit Company", especially considering their prices (about US$ 20).
    (https://www.uktsc.com)

I found some really nice ones at Agnes B today as well.

Your turn. What rocks your necks?

//Bruce

The Suit Company??? Seriously? Raise your standards!

Back when my wardrobe consisted of Jos. A. Bank suits from thrift shops, a few hand-me-down shirts and ties, and Cole-Haan shoes acquired from Ebay, I went into The Suit Company and did an abrupt about-face. There was no way I was going to pay money to look that cheap. The only person I know who ever bought anything there is a good friend who always asks me for style advice and always rejects it as either too expensive or troublesome. He bought a shirt there and ranted to me about how never to buy anything from them ever because of the shitty quality. I assured him he was preaching to the choir.

Not to insult you, but you can do much better for not much more money. My favorite ties are Zegna, and the first ones I bought were $25 at a discount outlet. They are thick and luxuriant and dimple beautifully. The most I've ever paid for a tie was close to $200 for a Zegna Twin. Everybody is fascinated with it and girls reach out to stroke it almost instinctively. My second favorites are Dunhills bought half price, of which I have about a three-week rotation.