1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Star Trek storylines/species?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Edward Appleby, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

Actually, my crowd always liked the choice between being comfortable in fantasy land and seeing reality. I thought of the movie as a ripoff of Plato's allegory of the cave - i.e. choice of reality, only the golden souled neo has escaped the cave and can see in the sunlight, etc.
    More accurately, a ripoff of the Gnostic development of Platonism.

I too have a soft spot for the Klingons. They got probably the two best lines in the series, "Today is a good day to die" and "I will kill you where you stand!"

2. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

"Today is a good day to die"

Originally a saying of a Native American tribe.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Making a list of the things that The Matrix rips off is longer than a list of things it does not.

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Making a list of the things that The Matrix rips off is longer than a list of things it does not.

And here I was worried that I was the only one not taken in by the Matrix. Thanks Slim!

5. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

And here I was worried that I was the only one not taken in by the Matrix. Thanks Slim!

Add me to the list of people who found the original Matrix lacking. Didn't bother with the next two.

As for Star Trek episodes, the one that sticks in my mind for some reason is TNG episode where the crew is infected with some sort of virus which causes them to de-evolve into the earlier life forms from their home planet. I remember that Reiker turned into a cave man.

6. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

A roommate of mine had a crush on Kate "Janeway" Mulgrew so I saw a fair amount of Voyager at one point. I love Robert Picardo's Doctor. So, so engagingly smarmy. Although I give Data points for having a cat named Spot.

7. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

Although I give Data points for having a cat named Spot.

If memory serves, in the episode I mentioned above, Spot turned into an iguana (he got better).

8. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

What did Data turn into? A toaster?

9. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

What did Data turn into? A toaster?

Now you're bringing out the geek in me. I believe Data was the only one not infected, as he was artificial. Somehow he was able to reverse the virus and save the day. However, I like the toaster idea (or perhaps an old-time radio).

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

I loved the Star Trek where Captain Kirk gets really worked up and emotional. Man, that was a great episode.

12. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I like the one where he tells all the Trekkies to get a life and asks Jon Lovitz if he's ever kissed a girl.

13. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

A roommate of mine had a crush on Kate "Janeway" Mulgrew so I saw a fair amount of Voyager at one point.

"Oh, Captain Janeway. Lace: The Final Brassiere."

14. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

I loved TNG cast of characters the most and also religiously watched DS9 but didn't follow the others after those.

The storyline of TNG was very simple as a whole as they were just explorers, I just always found it fascinating that nearly every creature was humanoid. I recall that episode where the female chief security officer was killed by that black puddle creature. At the time I thought that was awesome. I always thought the borg were interesting too how they just assimilate and move on. The thing that I never understood though was what happens when they assimilate non human creatures since all the pods where developed for humans as were the outfits. It's quite naive to think that everything in space would be humanoid.

On DS9 I guess the shapeshifters are the most fascinating for me as a race but I didn't really have a place in my heart for them. The final battle episodes were some of the best I recall when they gathered the entire fleet against the dominion. Was just neat seeing thousands of ships at once.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I can't remember what the deal was, but there was some explanation given for all the humanoids. Something about the galaxy being seeded.

16. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

don't forget 'the crystalline entity'. ooooh, scary.

17. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

"Bring forth the lirpa.
    If both survive the lirpa ...
    combat will continue with the ahn woon."

18. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I can't remember what the deal was, but there was some explanation given for all the humanoids. Something about the galaxy being seeded.
    http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Humanoid

19. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

I loved the Star Trek where Captain Kirk gets really worked up and emotional. Man, that was a great episode.

[​IMG]

koji

20. turbozed

turbozed Well-Known Member

Star Trek TNG was one of my staple TV shows growing up (probably second behind Married With Children) and I was completely hooked on that show. Luckily, I can catch reruns on Spike TV (and there's another station that plays it that I can't remember). The shows were pretty philosophical and intelligent for that time and made an impression on me (unfortunately not as much as Married With Children did because I'm more of a crass chauvinist than a thinker). My favorite episodes were the ones that involved Q (those seemed to be higher budget), Guinan (those definitely *were* higher budger because Whoopi Goldberg was actually a bigger star than the rest of the cast at the time. I also enjoyed the Ashley Judd/Robin Lefler episode(s). Boy she was hot back then! Remember Lefler's Laws? Like a wanna-be Murphy's Law. I also enjoyed the mysterious space anomaly/temporal rift type episodes like the one where they're caught in a temporal loop and playing poker and keep getting blown up over and over until the very end (don't use the tractor beam, decompress the main shuttle bays!) Other episodes that were good were the ones involving big battles. Ones that come to mind: Redemption two parter, and all the Borg episodes (excluding the Hugh one although that was also good).

Oh and who can forget "Darmok and Jalad, at Tanagra!"? LOL I can't believe I remember this stuff.

[​IMG]