1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite guitarist

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, May 10, 2008.

1. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

2. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

have a glass of sherry and listen to this. the left hand is the technician. the right hand is the soul.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

5. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

I've loved Paco ever since I first heard Entre Dos Aguas, not long after it was issued.

6. whodini

I did not enjoy that.
    Good, I guess. The thing I admire most about Greenwood is his completely non-blues based approach in riffs and solos. Being a guitarist myself, it's very hard at times not to revert to a standard blues scale when soloing. As shown in that clip, I also enjoy his ability to make his guitar sound like anything but a piece of wood with six strings. Non-blues solos at 3:00 and 5:40 :

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age is another favorite of mine.

7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

In the 70's it was Johnny Winter

[​IMG]

In the 80's it was Eddie Van Halen

[​IMG]

Since then I don't have any new favorites, but I enjoy many of them.

8. rstive

rstive New Member

Hi,

Steve Howe
    Robert Fripp
    Peter Frampton
    Mick Ralphs
    David Gilmour
    Johnny Ramone
    Andy Summers
    Phil Manzanera

[​IMG]

9. Ixelles

Ixelles Well-Known Member

I did not enjoy that.

Sorry if it's for real, but it sounds like one of those spoof solo things which that Finnish guy did on youtube, where he overdubbed some videos of Clapton, Yngwie, Vai, etc with atonal or just wrong notes (googling "(guitarist name) shred" usually does it).

If it's bonafide, I guess I'm not ready for the avant-garde stuff [​IMG]

10. Tourangh

Tourangh Well-Known Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jimmy Paige
    Santana

Eddie Van Halen is overrated in my opinion. He is just extremely fast but no creativity.

11. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

jeff beck
    neil young
    hendrix
    david gilmour
    jeff beck
    john scofield
    duane allman
    jeff beck
    keith richards
    eric krasno
    john mclaughlin
    jeff beck

12. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

13. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

14. whodini

Sorry if it's for real, but it sounds like one of those spoof solo things which that Finnish guy did on youtube, where he overdubbed some videos of Clapton, Yngwie, Vai, etc with atonal or just wrong notes (googling "(guitarist name) shred" usually does it).

If it's bonafide, I guess I'm not ready for the avant-garde stuff [​IMG]

It's definitely real. Greenwood wrote a computer patch that sampled the sound from his guitar at random intervals and with random looping. The result was a bridge between analog and digital which to me was nothing short of genius since it came as such an unexpected twist in a relatively subdued rock song. I appreciate the classic rock gods but do become bored with their rather forumulaic approach to tackling a solo. Greenwood is the one musician I look up to the most as he is consistently reliable for a shot in the arm and a kick in the pants, musically speaking. Could he play that outro like the standard bluesman? As a classically-trained musician, sure. But would he be happy with applying the bare minimum? Never. In the end I suppose it's just a matter of you enjoy your music inside or outside the box.

15. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo Member

SRV
    Duane Allman
    James Burton
    Scotty Moore
    Albert King
    BB King

16. clarity

clarity Well-Known Member

Hard to pick just one but I like Jeff Beck, Slash, SRV and Hendrix the most.

17. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

Steve Lukather
    Gary Moore
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Larry Carlton
    Neil Schon
    Eddie Van Halen

18. finch

finch Well-Known Member

Hard to choose...

Eddie Van Halen
    Robert Cray
    Eric Clapton
    Santana
    SRV
    Duane Allman

19. Tourangh

Tourangh Well-Known Member

I left out two on my list: Eric Clapton and Slash. There are alot of good blues guitarists being named that are underrated since blues is not as popular as other genres such as classic rock. Although SRV definitely seems to be getting some attention [​IMG]

20. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

It's definitely real. Greenwood wrote a computer patch that sampled the sound from his guitar at random intervals and with random looping. The result was a bridge between analog and digital which to me was nothing short of genius since it came as such an unexpected twist in a relatively subdued rock song.

I appreciate the classic rock gods but do become bored with their rather forumulaic approach to tackling a solo. Greenwood is the one musician I look up to the most as he is consistently reliable for a shot in the arm and a kick in the pants, musically speaking. Could he play that outro like the standard bluesman? As a classically-trained musician, sure. But would he be happy with applying the bare minimum? Never.

In the end I suppose it's just a matter of you enjoy your music inside or outside the box.

I agree that classic rock guitar solos get boring and repetitive, esp the blues based ones, but there are many ways of breaking out of this idiom, many ways of not playing blues. For me, music should be purpose driven; randomness and atonality do not get it done to my ear. My favorite music, harmonically and melodically (excluding for a moment rhythm, dynamics, etc.), typically falls well within 'tonal' boundaries but outside of, though perhaps including, what we'd call blues. Ick, what a sentence.

Anyway, anyone from Jim Hall to Pat Metheny to Kurt Rosenwinkel are decidedly not playing SRV-type 'blues', but they're going from V to I just like anyone else. The difference between these guys and Greenwood is that they're expanding and hopefully improving an existing vocabulary, while JG is throwing all that history out the window. Two ways to skin the cat, I suppose, but I tend to prefer the former.