1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite "cheap" watch?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Jun 8, 2006.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

My wife went through two Skagen's, and both broke. Granted, they cost about $10 at century 21, but durability was terrible. Now she wears an eco-drive:

[​IMG]

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Allright, I have to admit that I do have a Skagen. Titanium case, interesting square case. But I never wear it. a) I am not that big a fan of quartz anymore b) the rubber strap is uncomfortable c) big scratch on crystal d) even my cheapest Soviet watch (a $35 with shipping Albatross Amphibia) has more character and Panache [​IMG] But for quartz they make interesting designs, quite low profile (for quartz). Edit: I also have a Citizen Ecodrive San Remo chronograph that while nice does not get much wear. I have it on a nice Bros Dakota brown strap but still... [​IMG]

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

chorse123 - Since you picked a sports watch as an example for your post, the two brands that come to mind and that I would recommend (in the new watch category - i.e. not vintage or second-hand) are Seiko and Hamilton.

Here's an example of Hamilton that I like in that price range:
    [​IMG]

Are you actually looking for one or is it just a discussion topic?

I own that one with a brown leather band.

4. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Okay, y'all effectively spooked me off the Skagens, although I do like the styling.

5. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

6. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

I bought a watch aboard a KLM flight several years ago by a company called Time Design for about 80 euros. ($80 or less then.) Can't find them on the internet. It has a strange crystal, "synthetic diamond" rather than sapphire. It works, though. It is raised from the case and I treat it like garbage, but it has nary a scratch. Quite unlike a Diesel watch that somebody gifted me.... it gets me lots of compliments, including a free bottle of wine from the purveyor of a local liquor shop who owns the same watch.

7. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

Another thumb down for Skagen quality...
    My father got a titanium Skagen, and within a week the crystal fell OFF!

8. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

as someone who does not like to wear one (i even remove it and put it inside my drawer at work), i only bought one for the sole reason of accessorizing. after all the brands i went through, i finally ended up with an omega speedmaster in stainless. at least it can be worn in both casual and more dressed up occassions.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on Locman?
    [​IMG]

Or Ollech & Wajs:
    [​IMG]

10. morse

morse Well-Known Member

My Victorinox chronograph- got it on sale for $60, originally $240...mine's yellow faced with black leather strap and markers

[​IMG]