1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite chain restaurant?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mrpologuy, Oct 17, 2006.

1. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Olive Garden, their breadsticks and salad are soooo good. Buca di Beppo too, not sure how many there are around, seem to be a good amount in NorCal.

Cheesecake factory was alright, I liked the crazy decour (like Buca) but it took me about 2 beers and a cocktail just to read their 10 page menu!

Shakey's was some good ass pizza, haven't seen one of those or Straw Hat in a long time. I see down the street a Sizzler being built. Haven't seen a Sizzler being built in about 15 years.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

What is this possessive Ruth's Chris? How does Ruth have a Chris?

I believe that Ruth bought out the Chris Steak House. Thus, Ruth's Chris.

3. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Well-Known Member

Ruth died about three years ago. She sold out to a group of investors a few years before her death. She had only owned 3-4 places outright and was partners with the operators of the others.
    My own favorites:
    1. Ruth's Chris
    2. Oceanaire Seafood Room
    3. Popeye's
    4. Johnny Rockets

4. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Well-Known Member

What is this possessive Ruth's Chris? How does Ruth have a Chris?

Ruth Fertel bought out a small New Orleans steakhouse from a little Greek guy named Chris --- (??) in 1965. It was called Chris Steak. She kept the name.
    After 1-2 years, she tired of customers asking her if she was Chris, but she did not want to drop its former name entirely; therefore, the stupid result.

5. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Buca di Beppo too, not sure how many there are around, seem to be a good amount in NorCal.

Bucca di Beppo seems to be a chain, with locations in larger cities.

Their food is pretty good, and it's always fun to go with a big group of people and order a bunch of different dinners, which are then shared.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Buca is everywhere. They have some really good food, all huge portions. Not a place to go with less than 4 people. Ideal for 8+ parties. The only thing I don't like is sharing plates of food since I'm "that guy" that wants to take more than his portion since I eat like a pig.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Buca is everywhere. They have some really good food, all huge portions. Not a place to go with less than 4 people. Ideal for 8+ parties. The only thing I don't like is sharing plates of food since I'm "that guy" that wants to take more than his portion since I eat like a pig.
    +1 on that, GS. I end up feeling like poor teen-aged odoreater, feeling bad about asking for another 1/4 cup of soda.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Olive Garden, their breadsticks and salad are soooo good. Buca di Beppo too, not sure how many there are around, seem to be a good amount in NorCal.

Cheesecake factory was alright, I liked the crazy decour (like Buca) but it took me about 2 beers and a cocktail just to read their 10 page menu!

Shakey's was some good ass pizza, haven't seen one of those or Straw Hat in a long time. I see down the street a Sizzler being built. Haven't seen a Sizzler being built in about 15 years.

There's a Shakey's near me in West L.A. I've been meaning to go there one of these days with my daughter for the Little League team party nostalgia factor. At one of those Little League parties I had a pizza eating competition with my buddy, ate something like 14 slices (at age 12 or so) and my stomach was distended like a giant tumor. Not sure about Straw Hat, haven't seen one in a while. (More nostalgia there - Straw Hat was where I first played Space Invaders and Asteroids. Also got my ass kicked there by a bigger kid when I wouldn't let him get away with trying to steal my quarter while waiting to play Asteroids. Fun stuff.) Where I grew up , the Holy Trinity of pizza was Straw Hat, Shakey's, and Lamp Post Pizza.

9. raley

raley Well-Known Member

All of my friends love doing birthday dinners for 10-15 people at Buca. I never seem to get full there though.

10. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

PF Chang's. It's like freaking crack.

11. SieurDeLaSalle

SieurDeLaSalle Well-Known Member

Correct...711 South Broad St./NOLA
    Her food is good, but I despised her as a person. [​IMG]

12. Arnold_Horseshack

Arnold_Horseshack Well-Known Member

Ruth died about three years ago. She sold out to a group of investors a few years before her death. She had only owned 3-4 places outright and was partners with the operators of the others. My own favorites: 1. Ruth's Chris 2. Oceanaire Seafood Room 3. Popeye's 4. Johnny Rockets
    i luv popeye's chicken that shits dope![​IMG]

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

popeyes chickens shit dope?

14. tiecollector

There's a Shakey's near me in West L.A. I've been meaning to go there one of these days with my daughter for the Little League team party nostalgia factor. At one of those Little League parties I had a pizza eating competition with my buddy, ate something like 14 slices (at age 12 or so) and my stomach was distended like a giant tumor. Not sure about Straw Hat, haven't seen one in a while. (More nostalgia there - Straw Hat was where I first played Space Invaders and Asteroids. Also got my ass kicked there by a bigger kid when I wouldn't let him get away with trying to steal my quarter while waiting to play Asteroids. Fun stuff.) Where I grew up , the Holy Trinity of pizza was Straw Hat, Shakey's, and Lamp Post Pizza.

Didn't realize lamppost was a large California chain. It is tucked away in Davis, where I went to college and the only one I've ever seen. Somehow it manages to stay in business. They have sports night in a well lit room with an old big screen tv. The pizza is average from what I can remember. The atmosphere was awful though, screaming kids abound.

When I was really little we would hit up Shakey's, which then turned into a Straw Hat, which then went out of business or got sold or something. From then on it was Round Table King Arthur Supreme's for the next 10 years of my childhood. Needless to say I'm sick of them both.

Papa John's is the big rage where I live, run by the Russian mob.

15. tiecollector

Bucca di Beppo seems to be a chain, with locations in larger cities.

Their food is pretty good, and it's always fun to go with a big group of people and order a bunch of different dinners, which are then shared.

I love the decorations inside Bucca too. The one in Sacramento next to Nordy Rack is really cool, two stories. Think it has a huge round table with the head of the pope or something at the center (maybe they all do). The place is really noisy and zany. I like my restaurants noisy.

The Bucca in Roseville has good food but the atmosphere kinda stinks with the more mellow decorations and low ceilings. It is not as crowded either.

16. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I love the decorations inside Bucca too. The one in Sacramento next to Nordy Rack is really cool, two stories. Think it has a huge round table with the head of the pope or something at the center (maybe they all do). The place is really noisy and zany. I like my restaurants noisy.

The Bucca in Roseville has good food but the atmosphere kinda stinks with the more mellow decorations and low ceilings. It is not as crowded either.

Next to the entrance of the mens room at the Bucca in Claremont, CA I found a picture of a teenager and a priest at a graduation. When I looked closer I realized the photo was actually taken at my high school's graduation a few years back when the priest was still the school's president. I just figured the decorations were all generic. Guess not.