1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Beers

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mrgoblueguy, Jun 14, 2005.

1. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Well-Known Member

I went to a local beer garden I had never been before to try some new beers and was wondering what are your favorites? They had a decent selection (53 on tap and 100 in bottle). I had a Goose Island Summer Time Ale and a Belgian White Wheat Ale. They were not bad, but I had to go back to my old standby-Guinness. I was jsut wondering what are your guys favorite beers year round and what do yo ulike to drink during the summer?

2. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

My supply is somewhat limited--I just don't think hefeweizen and krystalweizen are all they're cracked up to be, and they're the popular ones around here. There're also a couple of kinds of pils that might as well be Bud. Mark me down for Guiness year round, dunklebier when I can get it (Paulaner sells it as amber in the States), and the Hofbrauhaus' Oktoberfest brew during the relevant weeks in September [​IMG] Tom

3. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

The two hallmarks of modern civilization are having a Starbucks, and being able to obtain Guinness on tap.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I like atlbeer when it is cold, and wheat beer when it is warm. if I can't get alt beer, which is most of the time, I will drink bitter.

for wheat beer my favorite is hoegarten, but there are a few good american made "beligan style whites" that are pretty good.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Summer -- Belgian fruity beers
    Year-round -- Black and tan (is that heresy for the Guinness drinkers?), Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

6. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

7. mrgoblueguy

I tried one called John Smith a while that was to be drunk at room temperature. It was not bad. I also love Boddington's.

8. petescolari

petescolari Well-Known Member

Smuttynose IPA
    Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
    McChouffe
    Brooklyn Blanche de Brooklyn
    McNeill's Firehouse Amber

9. globetrotter

the blanche de brookline is a nice beer,

10. petescolari

I can drink BdeB all day long. I made the mistake of drinking too many La Fin du Mond while in Montreal for F1 on the first day. On Saturday I made sure to change to Blanche de Chambly.

If you like the Brooklyn, try Allagash White. I really like the grey area between a traditional wit and hefe that some of those beers cross.

11. globetrotter

I've actually tried the allagash white too, and seem to remember it was pretty nice. I had a bar-b-que with about 40 people a few weeks ago, and about half brought beer, so I had a chance to try a lot of nice small brewery beers - the alagash and a bunch from saranac.

but my local carries BdeB and it is a very nice hot weather beer.

12. mrgoblueguy

I like realldy dark beers. Any ideas on what I should try?

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Dogfish Head - 60 Minute IPA Sierra Nevada - IPA and Porter Yuengling Lager Pretty much everything out of Brooklyn brewery is good (though I didn't care for the Pennant Ale - I think it was called that). In Baltimore, Brewers Art has some really good beer.

14. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Tusker

Nostradamus

Delirium Nocturnum

Pilsner Urquell

Old Peculiar

Kwak

15. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

If I could afford it, I'd drink more Chimay. But more often, I prefer Heineken, Kirin Ichiban, and Sapporo.

16. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

It's not heresy as long as your "tan" is Harp, not Bass. Otherwise, you're risking a holy war. [​IMG] That being said, I love both Guinness and Bass Ale, as well as Harp. The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is very good, as is (IMHO) the Sam Adams Summer. A great choice in the winter (in addition to Guinness) is a good porter (Sierra Nevada makes a good one IMMSMC). The best stout I ever tasted was Harpoon Stout on tap but, alas, I believe the Harpoon brewery (based in Boston) has discontinued it. As was stated above, a good wheat beer is great for the summer. I loved the English bitters I was able to try when I traveled to London a couple of years ago, and Guinness really does taste better in Ireland. Essentially, I love beer.

17. globetrotter

and what is there not to love about beer?

18. hermes

hermes Well-Known Member

for dark beers try:

"leffe brun" (belgium)
    "yebisu black" (japan)

for something different, a decent interesting non-dark beer is "feldschlosschen" (swiss)

19. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Harp

Stone Pale Ale

20. petescolari

I wish I had access to all of Stone's beers on tap like you do in SD.  Sometimes the place by my house has Stone on tap and it's so amazing in the summer.  My gf's favorite as well.