1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite albums of 2011

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by MetroStyles, May 19, 2011.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

two door cinema club (2010, but wide release 2011)

3. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Well-Known Member

4. WUKILLABEEZ78

WUKILLABEEZ78 Well-Known Member

Shaolin vs Wu-Tang (by Raekwon) [​IMG]

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

OKkervil River, "I am very far"

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Who are these people and what sort of faggoty music do they produce? (other than The Wu that is)

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

8. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Well-Known Member

I can't get over how good Kaputt by Destroyer is. http://grooveshark.com/playlist/Kaputt+/43164152?src=5 What are your 2011 faves?
    honestly was surprised to see this mentioned here, in the first post no less. definitely the best album i've heard so far this year. actually Miami Horror's Illumination is the best album i've heard all year but it came out in 2010. unfortunately I missed Destroyer a couple months back cuz it was raining out and i was sick and just didn't feel like getting over to the show, biggest regret so far this year. also: The Holidays - Post Paradise (technically 2010, but released in Japan 2011-does that count? haha) Cut Copy - Zonoscope Friendly Fires - Pala Starfucker - Reptilians Bibio - Mind Bokeh Holy Ghost - Holy Ghost and anticipating Junior Boys - It's All True

9. barzen

barzen Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying the new Fleet Foxes album, as well as Rome by Danger Mouse.

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I've yet to hear a really good album.

11. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

TV on the Radio is probably my favorite so far.

Also liked Kurt Vile and James Blake.

12. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

has rebecca black released her album yet? Ill withold my vote until that glorious day. [​IMG] Brothers by the Black keys is probably the only album i bought this year.

13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

has rebecca black released her album yet? Ill withold my vote until that glorious day. [​IMG] Brothers by the Black keys is probably the only album i bought this year.

ditto on both accounts

14. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

honestly was surprised to see this mentioned here, in the first post no less. definitely the best album i've heard so far this year. actually Miami Horror's Illumination is the best album i've heard all year but it came out in 2010. unfortunately I missed Destroyer a couple months back cuz it was raining out and i was sick and just didn't feel like getting over to the show, biggest regret so far this year.
    Funny, as long as Destroyer has been around, I just discovered it this year. Some of the songs are so good that, at certain sublime moments, they provide a fleeting glimpse into the musical equivalent of satori. I'm not even being pretentious - I actually mean it.

15. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

ditto on both accounts

[​IMG]

16. phildo

phildo Well-Known Member

I've yet to hear a really good album.
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Honourable mentions: Demdike Stare - Triptych The Weeknd - House of Balloons Peaking Lights - 936 Mountains - Air Museum Andy Stott - Passed Me By

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I was hoping the new Panda Bear album would be my favorite, but it's been the most disappointing album in a long while.

18. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

I forgot about Cut Copy, probably deserves a mention. And why has no one told me about this video before now?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

19. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

So far i've liked 'Helplessness Blues' by Fleet Foxes, and I haven't listened to it yet but I think Explosions in the Sky put something out kind of recently.

I just read about 'Rome' and want to check it out. I didn't think it was that sort of project but I also think I heard they might try to tour w/ it.

The new Bon Iver should be pretty good too.

20. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Well-Known Member

Funny, as long as Destroyer has been around, I just discovered it this year. Some of the songs are so good that, at certain sublime moments, they provide a fleeting glimpse into the musical equivalent of satori. I'm not even being pretentious - I actually mean it.

totally agree, like the woodwinds on Suicide Demo and that buildup towards the end of Bay of Pigs... incredible. Chinatown, too. also only heard about them this year (saw the video for Kaputt and was instantly hooked). i think from what i read this album is their first foray into the really jazzy elements, and damn it sounds good. i laughed when one reviewer likened them to a Kenny G revival, lol. with so many standout tracks i have yet to hear any other 2011 release that's as complete. Zonoscope might be a distant second but that's about it.