• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion trends you don't buy into

Conrad

Reaction score
Most any of the current "hair styles". All the ones where it looks like your goal is to mess your hair up as badly as possible and then gel it in place.
confused.gif

Any idea how hard it is to roll into a new city and find someone that knows what a "business man's cut" is? Not easy, especially when you roll in at 6pm after 3 days on the road and you have to be good to go at 8 the next morning.

Next time I get a haircut out here (SLC) I'm looking for a crusty old man with a spinning pole outside his shop.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
"timeless clothing". aka the fashion trend of SF

Haha, nice.

Mine are pretty boring. I won't do the skin-tight jeans on men thing. Also, the tie with jeans is borderline. It's worst when it's just out there all by its naked self paired with some dubious denim. With a decent shirt, the right jeans and a sweater or jacket or whatever on top to lessen its prominence, then I can deal with it.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
The inside-out suit coat.

neckties that wrap around your belt.

Those socks with the metal thingies on the ankle.

Tassle shirts.

The "Rod Steiger" look.

Prescription cufflinks

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coconut
shoe: I have always wondered if square-toe shoes were cheaper to make. Do you have any verification on that?

lt's common sense really. A more basic last with less curves and refinement. Square toe lasts are basically blocks that have been minimally shaped. l wouldn't imagine much R&D hasn't been done on these primitive lasts either. All round, corners have been cut to: save time and resources. Common footwear for Frankenstien men.

Time is saved because the last requires less time to make and the upper doesn't need time to take shape to the last.
Money in human capital is saved because the expertise required to make the last is much less.

Trends l don't buy into........boat shoes (look daggy), Lapel pins (looks alittle childish), tie pins (look too tryhard and daggy), boot cut jeans (nuff said), long pointed shoes/square toes (jackass shoes), messy short hair (a trend with alot of lanky teenage jackass), tennis shoes worn outside the tennis court.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flip flops!
Yes, I love them in summer too, but I have students wear them in the winter.
And I just about gag when I'm eating at a restaurant and someone comes in
wearing shorts and flip flops. It's beyond lazy, and rare is the day that a guy or girl really has the legs and feet to really show them off.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
"Trad" & sack suits.

TV folds.

Brogued shoes.

I'm not entirely sure brogued shoes can count as a trend, they've been around for an awfully long time. Maybe brogued sneakers are a little much?

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread should be retitled 'things I don't like'.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
-vests, not as part of a 3 piece suit

+100

Great call! I never understood this trend. Never. It looks odd and affected when the models in GQ wear it, and it looks odd and affected whenever I see this look on the street. The wearer is almost always trying too hard, which inevitably make him a fashion victim.

If anyone can find a picture where someone actually makes this look work, please post on this thread.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear any of those Bape sweaters or shoes. Or anything with Bape pattern.

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
Damn, I can't believe how many styles people on here will right off their list just because it may seem to be a trend. Many ideas look great when put together the right way.

Only two things come to mind that I do not understand in any way:

Square shoes
Green clothing sold at Macy's which is also made in India (I'm sure they follow the the most stringent environmental standards over there)

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
+100

Great call! I never understood this trend. Never. It looks odd and affected when the models in GQ wear it, and it looks odd and affected whenever I see this look on the street. The wearer is almost always trying too hard, which inevitably make him a fashion victim.

If anyone can find a picture where someone actually makes this look work, please post on this thread.

Demetri Martin: "Vests are all about protection. Life vests protect you from drowning. Bullet proof vests protect you from bullets. Sweater vests protect you from... pretty girls."

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
This thread should be retitled 'things I don't like'.

+1. Boat shoes, sandals, flip flops, and brogued shoes are not ******* trends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads