1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fashion Identity Crisis...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by genericman, May 3, 2009.

1. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

I just wanted to chime in here because it seems like you and I have a few things in common (age, asian, math, future doctor.... etc.). I was and still am a Hedi fan, the difference is that I started school late (just finished my second year) and thus was not busy with schoolwork and faithfully following Dior when the last few seasons by Hedi were still coming out. You were probably busy with school and had less time to check out fashion shows and the like. Anyways, a few years ago, Dior by Hedi items was much more available and while it was just as expensive for the most part, sometimes you can find deals on used items and because of such, I built up a huge collection of Dior items, most of which I treasured but never wore. I too was fascinated by the skinny suits, slim jackets, stacked jeans, and killer boots that were featured on the runway. The problem was, when I got some of the pieces in hand, they were really outlandish and hard to pull off without seeming fashion victimy, try-hard, or very, very androgynous/gay.

I guess what I am saying is that even though I loved the looks on the runway, over time I found out that much of it didn't translate well for me in real life. Eventually I forced myself to check out other aesthetics which did work out much better for me on a daily basis. FYI, pants as tight as those shown on the runway are near impossible to sit in without causing a lot of stomach pain (of course if you are on heroin, the pain will be much less). The suit jackets do not fit anywhere as slim as they appear on the runway off the rack. The two that I own I had gotten tailored to fit slimmer in the sleeves and body. The leather on the leather jackets is paper thin and felt like it will rip easier than heavy cotton when I felt one in person at the NYC Dior store. And lastly most of the leather dress shoes and boots have crappy leather that creases like a mofo after wearing them just a few times.

To sum it up, I will say that there is a certain undeniable romance in the Dior shows by Hedi that is very difficult to capture, even with a wardrobe full of Dior. There's also too many sacrifices to make (jeans that you can't sit in, jackets that you can't move in) that sours the whole experience anyways. I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting an "edgier" look and Dior by Hedi is definitely a good influence, just don't take it too far and wind up with a wardrobe full of items that may look nice but are unwearable.

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

3. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

^ just trying to be helpful... I really didn't expect anyone to read long-ass my post except the OP (or someone with too much time on their hands)

4. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

^ I think he meant it was a good post. If so, I agree. If not, I disagree.

5. genericman

genericman Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with dressing a certain way if that's what your life is like. You're going to be a doctor, not an artist. There's no need for you to be edgy, and in fact it seems a little inappropriate.

I think members are confused by my post. I am not looking to "edge" up my professional attire when I'm at work. My professional attire is clean, pressed, and respectable. My interest in Dior Homme (though a bit late) is purely my fashion interest during my time off from work. I'm not interested in the band tees, distressed skinny jean with the hi-top look. I prefer Hedi's edgier take on classics (i.e. slim suit, boots, collared shirts).

Did the BOO nylon sperrys work out?

Tuck or Untuck?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

go for a swedish look, can still look professional

I have a few dress shirts from Filippa K and Acne. Love the clean look with a 2-3 inch tie.

If that shipley suit is size 38jacket/32pants and you're looking to dump it lemme know.

Butteros aren't really that clunky imo

The Shipley suit is a 42R/32, but it fits like a 40. I got vomited on twice, so I don't think you really want it. Dry-cleaned though [​IMG]

I'm going to keep my eyes on a pair of those NDC boots. Any thoughts on LL Bean Engineer Boots or Bed Stu Deputy (http://www.shoebuy.com/bed-stu-deputy/208348)

To sum it up, I will say that there is a certain undeniable romance in the Dior shows by Hedi that is very difficult to capture, even with a wardrobe full of Dior. There's also too many sacrifices to make (jeans that you can't sit in, jackets that you can't move in) that sours the whole experience anyways. I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting an "edgier" look and Dior by Hedi is definitely a good influence, just don't take it too far and wind up with a wardrobe full of items that may look nice but are unwearable.

I think you summed it up best. I appreciate the words, and it's what I thought was to be true. There is an undeniable romance in his theatrical shows that influenced what I wanted to look. But I can see how unrealistic that desire is because real-life (especially Greenrich) seems to lack that dark, fog machine scenery.

6. genericman

What do you guys think? I just thrifted the tuxedo jacket and patent oxfords ($20 total). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Salvation Army Chukkas: [​IMG] Better pics of the jacket someone ask me for: [​IMG] [​IMG] I think we beat this topic to death. I appreciate everyone's input. Its made me realize I need to strike a fine balance between fantasy and reality. I am a young doctor, not a musician or LES kid. I need to dress appropriately, yet have the freedom to express myself. I'm gunna stick with my current wardrobe and pick a few pieces that are Hedi-inspired. KOP: Slim black/grey suit (balance between APC/Shipley and Dior) NDC Boots (Slightly distressed)

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

damn. you were busy. Still not feeling the jeans but that's just me.

8. genericman

^^ Do you think I can go slimmer? The BiG measurements for that pair of jean is waist: 33, thigh: 11, knee 8.5, hem: 7.5. inseam: 32. My lower body is bulkier than my upper half due to soccer and breast-stroke swimming.

If you look carefully at my left thigh on the blazer shot, there's not much room to give.

I tried on a pair of Cures and the visual effect wasn't Dior Homme, but rather a chubby Perez Hilton wearing skinnies.

9. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

You can definitely go slimmer. I also think the jacket is too long in the torso.

10. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

I disagree, skinnier would make him look disproportionate. It's also damn uncomfortable for those of us with big legs. Taper might help a bit but those are fine.

11. Deluks917

Deluks917 Well-Known Member

^I like the pants fit, the boot tuck, and the jacket fit especially.

12. genericman

You can definitely go slimmer. I also think the jacket is too long in the torso.

leather or the blazer?

13. binge

binge Well-Known Member

Anyways, I am a 26 year old male in the health professional school....I'm going to be a doctor. I dress preppy. There's no edge. And that's what I want to try to add to my wardrobe.

Don't worry, the first time a patient dies on you...you'll have plenty of edge.

14. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

^ I think he was referring to the blazer, but now that you mention it, both look a bit long.

15. knugget

knugget Well-Known Member

not a fan of the belt. jeans might look better with a different silhouette. but follow chrono's advice get some black coated jeans.

breaststroke doesn't make your legs huge*

16. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

I think the jeans fit great dude - just put in a taper from the knee down. Play around, in front of a mirror and see what the jeans would look like if you took the ankle opening in abit.

It's easiest to get jeans that fit then put a taper through, especially if you do anything that gives you muscle mass - I ride, so my calves will always be bigger then normal.

NDC boots would look awesome, with the dark denim and the RO / Blackscissors, it will look awesome.

Why not just have more than one 'look' ? Have some heidi inspired stuff and you BoO stuff.

The shawl collar looks great, the tuck boots loooks great. You really own the BoO look.

17. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Jeans with a bit more taper and stacking would kill that.

18. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I was talking about the leather, actually. I think the blazer looks fine.

19. genericman

IMO, buttero or ndc are the best-made mid-priced boots. a pair of ndc will last you 5+ years and are worth the investment.

should have jumped on the one-day 40% sale at Barneys...could have picked up the Buttero Work Boot. damn

20. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

^^ kunk got it right...picked it up from BS

Thanks.