1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fake Rockefeller: yet another reason to avoid ascots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DandySF, Aug 25, 2008.

1. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

As I read this I figured it would only further prejudice people against the oft-ridiculed ascot and those who wear them. Below is the introductory paragraph about a con man who pretended to be a Rockefeller.

"In the understated town of Cornish, N.H., where it is considered bad form to exhibit your wealth, the man calling himself Clark Rockefeller was driven around in an armored black Cadillac with bulletproof windows. He affected silk ascots and bragged that when it came to acquiring property, he could outbid anyone. He said that Helmut Kohl and Britney Spears were coming to dinner." (New York Times)

Note to self: Banish all thoughts about an ascot, even if you think a touch of irony might let you get away with wearing one.

2. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

I still support the ascot, despite this faux Rockefeller.

Hell, if it can fake people into believing that my ideas warrant investing, then all the more excellent!

3. ccffm1

ccffm1 Well-Known Member

While ascots look pretty silly on me I still have to say that I´ve seen some examples that were very well executed and didn´t seem affected at all.

4. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I bet Will can pull off an ascot.

5. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

I bet Will can pull off an ascot.

I bet against.

6. tpap

tpap Member

Well in this case, let's not wear the "oft-rediculed" ties, cufflinks, pocket squares, colored socks...

Your argument is a funny conversation starter but it doesn't really hold much water...

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I still like them, possibly because they were fairly popular among my fellow undergraduates back at Oxford. Of course, that was a long time ago.

I was talking to one very accomplished young fellow at a party just this past Saturday evening, and he mentioned that his brother liked to wear them on occasion. This was heartening, as so many men are inclined to consign ascots to "old guy" attire.

Speaking of Oxford, I am getting the sickening impression that undergraduates there nowadays do not dress all that much differently from their counterparts at California State University Long Beach (allowing for differences in climate). I hope I am mistaken in this.

8. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

I've always kind of liked the ascot, but I have never had the balls to wear one myself. I think they tend to look costumey. Could someone post a picture of someone wearing an ascot (themselves or someone else) that they think looks good?

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I don't think even Marcello pulls off his choice of neckwear:

[​IMG]

As such, I won't even try.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

As such, I won't even try.

Try it with a mustache:

[​IMG]

- B

11. JLibourel

Such icons of masculine style as Clark Gable, Fred Astaire and Cary Grant all wore ascots and looked good wearing them.

I still think the ascot is a usefuly way station between the comparative formality of the necktie and the inherent slovenliness of the open-necked shirt.

12. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Such icons of masculine style as Clark Gable, Fred Astaire and Cary Grant all wore ascots and looked good wearing them.

I still think the ascot is a usefuly way station between the comparative formality of the necktie and the inherent slovenliness of the open-necked shirt.

Would you say an open-necked shirt is slobwear?

13. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

. . .

It is. It is the perfect solution. It is a shame it so uncommon as to draw unneeded attention.

14. JLibourel

No, but verging on it perhaps. Since many shirts can be worn open-necked or with a necktie, it cannot intrinsically be slobwear in the same sense as T-shirts, sandals, jeans, shorts, sneakers, sweat shirts, etc. (And, Cruiser, I hope you're lurking here, and this gets your blood pressure up some!)

Getting back to ascots, I seem to recall that back in the early days of Playboy magazine, Hugh Hefner, who always strove to appear cool and hep, was quite frequently photographed wearing an ascot. The observation has been made before in forumland, and I'm strongly inclined to second it, that the character Thurston Howell III single-handedly ruined the ascot, making it the mark of the pretentious twit.

15. voxsartoria

The observation has been made before in forumland, and I'm strongly inclined to second it, that the character Thurston Howell III single-handedly ruined the ascot, making it the mark of the pretentious twit.

J, Ginger or Mary Ann?

[​IMG]

I'm inclined to say, "both," but such are my inclinations.

- B

16. JLibourel

Back in the heyday of Gilligan's Island, if I couldn't have both, Ginger, unhesitatingly.

Having seen Tina Louise in the flesh from about 10-15 feet away last year, I think I'd take my chances with Dawn Wells these days although I am not sure how appealing I would find any woman even a scant 3 1/2 years my senior nowadays. Had plenty of torrid affairs with women a few years my senior about a quarter-century ago, though.

17. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Back in the heyday of Gilligan's Island, if I couldn't have both, Ginger, unhesitatingly.

Having seen Tina Louise in the flesh from about 10-15 feet away last year, I think I'd take my chances with Dawn Wells these days although I am not sure how appealing I would find any woman even a scant 3 1/2 years my senior nowadays. Had plenty of torrid affairs with women a few years my senior about a quarter-century ago, though.

Mary Ann. No contest.

18. voxsartoria

Had plenty of torrid affairs with women a few years my senior about a quarter-century ago, though.

That's how I started...but thirty years ago.

I just counted...I do have five ascots. I haven't worn one in eight years...the last time was in Italy where I wasn't the only dude doing so.

- B

19. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

Yes

It is. It is the perfect solution. It is a shame it so uncommon as to draw unneeded attention.

I wear mostly plain coloured ones, solid or with only a subtle pattern to them. Hardly anyone notices. Comments are vanishingly rare.

BTW con artists also wear ties, suits, shirts, underwear, socks, and shoes. Let's stop wearing them too.

20. Tcameron

Tcameron Well-Known Member

I have three ascots, one blue with small circles, one brown with the same pattern, and one red paisley one, and I proudly wear them twice a month, and have only recieved maybe a handful of compliments or questions. Usually to the effect of "Is that a scarf?"

But don't let Clark here make you stop wearing them, ascots are still great when pulled off correctly.