1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Eyeglasses that auto shade in the sun?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zillka, Feb 5, 2010.

1. zillka

zillka Well-Known Member

Who has them? How fast do they clear up once you walk inside the office? Is it worth my time or am I still above it?

2. steviecakes

steviecakes Well-Known Member

transition lenses? my father had a pair years ago when they first came out. he said they were the most annoying things ever and hasn't bought a pair since...

3. mikej77

mikej77 Well-Known Member

They always seem to give off that "pedophile" look when I see people wearing them.

4. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Well-Known Member

i have transitions. they work pretty good. my SIL used to work for transistions so everyone in the family had them. i think the auto shade is a little slower when its really cold out (like zero).

5. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

It's hard to pull off - I had a pair in high school and usually, it was in a state of slightly tinted. If you can rock aviator style eyeglasses, then I would say they would be fine for you, otherwise - avoid. For example, they would work on these I think: http://www.bestbuyeyeglasses.com/img...hx/o?15793.JPG

6. zillka

zillka Well-Known Member

i prefer conservative and boring with glasses since everyone and their maids have aviators/cokes/rimless/squaregeekchics etc, so dull is the new hip for me and was never really into trends being the maven that i am so something along the lines of.. [​IMG] but most likely even more arid and lifeless if i find something i'd say 80/20 use in office/street; just i think the lame/conventional office glasses which i'm going for might look weird shaded as most transitions i've seen were something along the lines of aviators

7. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

There are new ones that are completely clear indoors and will darken even inside of a car. But I agree about the frame style [​IMG]

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Do not get those transition lenses. Buy two separate glasses. Why? Transitions are not polarized. That, pretty much, is all there is to say about that.

9. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I've got transitions on all my glasses. I've got some black plastic frames and some ic! berlin frames which, in my opinion, look good. Also, they clear up pretty much completely - you can tell by holding them up against a white surface.

10. CrocsRock

CrocsRock Well-Known Member

Just spring for a pair of glasses and a pair of sunglasses. Yeah, pain in the ass switching between the two, but you really need polarized sunglasses.

Personally, I like having a few options sunglasses- and glasses-wise. Expensive, but nice to have options/backups.

11. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Well-Known Member

Transitions Lenses will give you that IT help desk look.

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

I tried using them and found them frustrating. They didn't turn dark fast enough outside, and worked well only when in direct sunlight (as in, running off into the sunset).

13. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Why do people seem to think you must have polarized lenses? Quite apart from the fact they only block a small section of the light it means that you can't read many screens.

If I wear polarized lenses I can't use my phone properly, can't see my sat-nav, can't use the DVD playing in the car. Most importantly though, I can't check myself out in the reflections of a shop window!

14. phooi

phooi Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Transition lenses. I have used them on my last 3 pairs of glasses. They are clear when indoors and darken reasonably quick when outdoors. As a person who has to wear prescription eyewear all the time, the best part of is that I can have both a pair of regular glasses and shades in a single pair of glasses. The only downside with Transitions is that they are UV activated so they do not darken while you're in a car, as an example. Otherwise, I now always include Transitions when I order my lens. Also I would recommend adding anti-reflective as well. It complements the Transitions nicely.

15. eyegizmo

eyegizmo Member

The glasses that you are looking for are transition lenses. Theses lenses are multi purpose which will act as a sunglasses and clear glasses while inside. Good quality transitions lens will turn dark with 20-40 sec can will clear out within 40 sec. Depending on the brand and price the quality of the lenses will depend

16. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Well-Known Member

They always seem to give off that "pedophile" look when I see people wearing them.

next post

i have transitions. . .
    [​IMG]

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The newer ones have improved a lot. My aunt has a pair that she likes and I didn't even realize they were transitions until she said somethign

If you want to try them out cheap, you can order a set from zenni optical. The basic photochromatic lenses are only $19 (and the fancier transitions VI are $69)

On my next zenni order I might get a set