1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Experiences with airlines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by johnnymarrsbarres, May 23, 2006.

1. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

I presume you are flying coach (ew). Go for Air Canada
    Broke ass college student, so yes I will be flying coach. AC I have actually found to be cheaper than Delta (also found this is just a repainted/branded NW plane/route). I gotta double check but the AC flight might have a layover in Vancouver before flying to Seattle then Spokane. If so that is gonna be a big draw back for me, and a big effin waste. Its like a 15min flight to SEA from Vancouver, and another 30 to GEG from there. What really sucks is that tickets out of the US round trip are way cheaper, they must have lower taxes or something. Oh and I would gladly fly one of the other airlines like Singapore Air or ANA but all of those put me through SF or LAX before SEA -> GEG and cost over double for that

2. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

Broke ass college student, so yes I will be flying coach. AC I have actually found to be cheaper than Delta (also found this is just a repainted/branded NW plane/route). I gotta double check but the AC flight might have a layover in Vancouver before flying to Seattle then Spokane. If so that is gonna be a big draw back for me, and a big effin waste. Its like a 15min flight to SEA from Vancouver, and another 30 to GEG from there.

What really sucks is that tickets out of the US round trip are way cheaper, they must have lower taxes or something.

Oh and I would gladly fly one of the other airlines like Singapore Air or ANA but all of those put me through SF or LAX before SEA -> GEG and cost over double for that

Of course AC will fly through YVR. They are Canadian and cannot fly you from Asia to US directly.

3. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Well-Known Member

AC is not amazing (CP is awesome) but better than DL.

+1 AC is better than any US airline for coach. Acceptable food, decent entertainment system. Often friendlier service, though you can also be unlucky on that front.

Also, might as well use their flights, since half of their operations are financed with our tax money... [​IMG]

4. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

Worst experience:
    SAS.

I had a domestic flight booked for a trip to a university I'm applying to, they invited me up since I'm a senior and I participated in a national math contest. Anyhow, original plan was from Thursday to Saturday. My father offered me another day, and we booked a hotel room and changed flights. No problems there, couldn't do it online, as the system is semi-broken and will work 10% of the time.
    Called and entered frequent flyer number, skipped ahead of the queue and changed my flight. Decided a couple of days later, on Wednesday, that I really needed the Sunday at home before mid terms, and called to change the flight back again.
    Same procedure, skipped ahead of the queue and talked to an agent in a matter of seconds. She told me that I needed a four-digit code, and since my father was travelling, I had to call him up and then call back again. Got the personal code, and called. This time I got another agent, and I told her I wanted to rebook my flight.
    Told her the information she needed, and the flight that I had changed from was still available for award seats. She then informed me that it would be a $50 charge, and I disagreed. Not a big deal, it's not expensive, but since I was booked from a *G account, it's supposed to be free.
    She told me that no, it's $50. It's free for 24 hours after booking. I tell her that she's wrong, that I just changed my ticket without paying as much as a cent, and that they state at their website that it is indeed free if you're a Gold member. She starts getting aggressive, and I tell her that she's wrong. This went on for a bit, and then I just hung up on her. Called again and prayed I got another agent.
    I did. Told her that I wanted to change my flight plan, but she couldn't find any available award seats. They had a seat available for the first leg, but not the second, and as this was on a Saturday, there were no buses or trains leaving for my home city after arrival.
    Found out that I had to stay there for another day, and just make the best out of it.
    Called next morning to the EuroBonus agents, asked them to double check and I was immediately rebooked on the flight that I originally had. Asked if this was supposed to cost anything, she told me no and said she didn't know why they tried to charge me.
    Oh, and they never asked for that four-digit code.

So to sum up: One completely useless and rude agent who was wrong, one that couldn't book on an available award seat, one that asked for things I really didn't need and one decent one that actually knew her job.
    Airlines should really hire agents that know the rules.

5. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

Well, all AC tickets for my dates are now sold out. Cheapest route available sucks, put me NRT-PDX-GEG or NRT-SEA-GEG.
    Return is the oposite, but either way I am garenteed a layover in PDX or LAX/SFO which would mean riding in either a 767 or 747-400. Both of wich have only overhead entertainment. WTF was Delta thinking by dropping the A330s they got from NWA (which had inseat entertainment) for their ghetto 767s with this setup.

Im gonna see if I can find a connecting flight through Alaskan from SEA-GEG both ways instead of Horizon, that way I can go A330 with that sweet AVOD setup.

Also, god damn have ticket prices gone up. First time I flew this route in 06 it was only 700$ round trip in August with UA on a 777.

One of the guys I tutor flies just as much as Globetrotter and gave a very unfavorable review for Delta on the 747. Said the FAs were dicks to him because he couldn't understand their English.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

+1 AC is better than any US airline for coach. Acceptable food, decent entertainment system. Often friendlier service, though you can also be unlucky on that front.
    I agree

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about travelling with Shandong Airlines.

The National Lottery, UK. http://www.national-lottery.co.uk
    [​IMG]

Shandong Airlines, China. http://www.shandongair.com.cn/en/index.html
    [​IMG]

I would be rather wary of an airline which has a logo that tells me 'Keep your fingers crossed' or 'Good luck and hope for the best.' on the front page of its website. Flying with this airline could indeed be a lottery.

Air China is OK though except for one thing, playing f*cking Christmas music on their planes in June.

Hot summer's day, waiting for everyone to be boarded and sat down. I do not wish to hear Jingle Bells, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Silent Night or Hark The Herald Angels Sing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

So I just flew back, Delta used some old ass planes on the route I just took. Anyhow, best part was the flight attendant on the way back. Dude was just friendly enough, didn't want to start a conversation, be my friend anything like that. Just wanted to be extra courteous. Hooked me up with some brewskis before we took off (was the only one on hte plane for a while).

Flight there I passed out as soon as we took off (I've found if I sleep before takeoff the 20 minute explanation of everything will wake me up and I can't fall back asleep) so I missed dinner, breakfast wasn't bad. Food coming back dinner was decent breakfast awful. Oh, but for the first few hours, the plane smelled of urine. WTF?

I guess, I don't know. As long as the plane doesn't smell...whatever. I can sleep through anything. I look at it this way: coach is universally bad. Anything above that is much better so no real reason to complain.

That said, I've never had bad experiences with Delta (except the above) or United and I primarily fly them (95% of flights), and frequently too.

United has best business class I've had, IIRC. Korean Air's was the worst business but still excellent. I <3 the Delta flights where I get to watch TV instead of movies. Don't know why. Had a middle seat on BA once, it was not bad overall. I remember Swiss Air. Those were some nice seats and service.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

^interesting, I have had horrible luck with Delta, but that is almost always to South America.

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Yeah that's where I went.

It is, however, only airline with direct to SA from ATL so it is worth it.

Pro-tip for novice travelers, non-stop is always worth the extra money, until you get to where it would be thousands less to have one stop. The more airports/plane switches you'll actually fuck your body up more because you keep adjusting to the new time to rapidly change again, and then you also have more shots at luggage/other shit going wrong.

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

No one hates airlines more than me but I have just had to fly United/Continental trans-US twice and found the planes to be ... OK. Decent seats, not butt-numbing granite ... enough leg room to stave off lethal blood clots ... all in all, not quite a torturous experience. For a modern airline, that is a miracle.

12. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I'll be flying up to San Francisco this week on United.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Forget if I've posted any of this before but by best experience was to Dubai via Qatar Air. ~14 hours flying with 1 hr long lay over in Doha both ways. Felt like I was in the air half that time. Coach was pretty comfortable both ways. Food was ok. Plenty of booze. Decent entertainment options. Took Air Swiss From Zurich to Berlin in March. Pretty decent flight. Spacious cabin, good service. To tell the truth, I've just never had a bad flying experience that wasn't my fault (hung over). Spirit air are cheapskates but I only fly them to FLL to party so I like the flight cheap.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Love Cathay for NY>HK>Bangkok! Have flown 3 times and have no complaints.

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing more horrible than 45 minutes in the air. :sarcasm:

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I still can't forgive United for losing my luggage on an international flight several years ago. I flew US Air's Envoy class three weeks ago, and it reminded me of how air travel used to be years ago. I have a trip to Hong Kong coming up, and I'll be flying there on Delta business class.

17. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

How does American airlines International business class compare to Delta? I have been a slave to delta for years due to my miles card. I have a bunch of miles built up on American thru a deal I got signing up for one of their cards. Any appreciable difference between the two. The American route cuts an hour off my flight time but I dont get any of the (more or less trivial)perks I get for being a super big cheese on Delta. Any horror stories?

18. worldrunner

worldrunner Well-Known Member

Air Tahiti... Great experience and had great prices

19. tdangio

tdangio Well-Known Member

:lol:

I've flown almost 100K so far this year. Despite moving to Denver year ago, I refuse to switch from Delta to United

20. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

goddammit Manton.